• filter:

Oil stain on driveway

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Came home last night and found a small oil stain on driveway.  I do seal but usually about every other year.  got the power washer out but it didn't do the job I needed 1600 psi.  got a degreaser and scrubbed it as well, still there but smaller.  What other methods have people tried, many products out there but with mixed reviews

ridn

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
brake cleaner spray

rated:
Call this guy, he'll take away your oil for free.

rated:
Is it a concrete driveway? A neighbor turned me on to using oven cleaner. I don't know if it'll work on an asphalt driveway though.

rated:
Pics ?

rated:
Ive had good luck in the past with easy off and boiling water. I start a big stock put near full of water boiling then I just spray it down and let it sit until the water is at good roar. Scrub if you can and then pour the boiling water over it to clean it. I use like 1/4 to a 1/2 a can.

rated:
george2001 said:   A neighbor turned me on using oven cleaner.

OK, I've heard it all now. Rubber gloves, a stiff brush, and a burning sensation? .... actually, no, I don't want to know.

rated:
Is it in the shape of a body?

rated:
ridn4free said:   Came home last night and found a small oil stain on driveway.  I do seal but usually about every other year.  got the power washer out but it didn't do the job I needed 1600 psi.  got a degreaser and scrubbed it as well, still there but smaller.  
  Maybe some therapy, if a small oil stain gets you so upset? Hate to think what bird droppings would do to ya.

rated:
too late now, but isn't kitty litter supposed to absorb oil drips?

The oven cleaner concept is scary since it is highly toxic and when rinsed goes into your lawn, garden, etc.

rated:
ganda said:   
  OK, I've heard it all now. Rubber gloves, a stiff brush, and a burning sensation? .... actually, no, I don't want to know.

Arm & Hammer used to sell oven cleaner that worked when it was heated.  It was non-toxic.

Hand dishwashing detergent & water will remove most of an oil stain.  

rated:
larrymoencurly said:   ganda said:   

Arm & Hammer used to sell oven cleaner that worked when it was heated.  It was non-toxic.

Hand dishwashing detergent & water will remove most of an oil stain.  

I don't think he was talking about those stains.

rated:
i icnore it.

rated:
Is it like seeing the likeness of Jesus in a tortilla?

rated:
you're gonna have to jack hammer it out and re-pave

rated:
Have you considered spreading oil over the entire driveway to create a uniform color?

rated:
Pour dawn Dish soap on it, rub it in, and walk away. I've done this several times and the stain went away.

rated:
For decades, I have used Gumout Spray (or really any other generic spray carb cleaner). Spray it on and let it soak in a minute or so to dissolve the stain and rinse off with the water hose. If not completely gone, let it dry and repeat. If it is synthetic oil, it may take up to 4 trys.  I am talking the Spray can with the pinpoint straw you put in the nozzle, not the Liquid stuff you pour in the tank.

Gumout Spray also works well to kill just about any sort of bug, crawling or flying and also makes a great spot dandelion killer. The generic carb spray cleaner also works well but Gumout is the strongest it seems.

rated:
Get a rug that really ties the driveway together.

rated:
scrouds said:   Have you considered spreading oil over the entire driveway to create a uniform color?
That can actually work as a preventative measure, at least with fresh transmission fluid. I once spilled some over a couple of feet, and after it was completely cleaned off, that area of the driveway wouldn't stain if engine oil was spilled on it.

rated:
scrouds said:   Have you considered spreading oil over the entire driveway to create a uniform color?
  Problem is, unless the car that left the stain had a recent oil change, you would have to spread used oil over the driveway  to match the stain.

rated:
atikovi said:   scrouds said:   Have you considered spreading oil over the entire driveway to create a uniform color?
  Problem is, unless the car that left the stain had a recent oil change, you would have to spread used oil over the driveway  to match the stain.

And? Plenty of that at your local auto parts store.

rated:
Used oil is considered hazardous. Every can of oil says, used motor oil may cause cancer. Spread it all over your driveway and you might get a hefty fine from the EPA. People used to spray oil on dirt roads to keep the dust down but most governments put an end to that over 30 years ago.

rated:
it's a joke, son

rated:

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017