• filter:

creepiness of tracking information

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
i know that if you are shopping for something, ads pop up for that item on other webpages and emails. since i started traveling recently, i have started getting emails that indicate knowledge of my being on the road. "stuck at the airport? do this survey to kill time!" and stuff like that

creepy

makes me wonder what's next. "stuck in jail? king stahlman can bail you out!" or maybe "visiting your hot stuff on the side? don't forget the trojans!"

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I bought some coffee pods at Starbucks today. I don't drink coffee, I don't read about or shop for coffee on my PC. After my Starbucks purchase I got ads on my PC for those same pods on sale online. [/twilight zone music] The only thing that identified me in Starbucks was my credit card, so Citi must have sold some information to an online ad company.

rated:
grrr

rated:
While I'm thinking about it, last year I sent someone to collect a purchase from business they had zero connection with, they'd never even heard of it before. I had already paid for the purchase, so there was no credit card transaction - drive there, pick it up, leave. The next day they got spam email from that business. It can only have been that their phone was logged at that location, and the phone owner's information sold to the business as a potential customer. Creepy indeed.

rated:
ganda said:   I bought some coffee pods at Starbucks today. I don't drink coffee, I don't read about or shop for coffee on my PC. After my Starbucks purchase I got ads on my PC for those same pods on sale online. [/twilight zone music] The only thing that identified me in Starbucks was my credit card, so Citi must have sold some information to an online ad company.

Did you leave your phone at home?

rated:
Do you know what an A&P mechanic is?

I didn't know. So I Googled it. 2 days later I had a letter in the mail from an airplane college touting their mechanics program.

rated:
I wonder why I keep getting pop up ads for H&B.

rated:
the level of tracking users has gone up a level. Everyone will be getting location specific ads which will also depend on user search history. This is the age of highly targeted ads that will still annoy the hell out of u

rated:
scrouds said:   
ganda said:   I bought some coffee pods at Starbucks today. I don't drink coffee, I don't read about or shop for coffee on my PC. After my Starbucks purchase I got ads on my PC for those same pods on sale online. [/twilight zone music] The only thing that identified me in Starbucks was my credit card, so Citi must have sold some information to an online ad company.

I thought of that, my phone was in the car (it normally is). This wasn't a free standing Starbucks, I could have been going to any store in the row, but I didn't get ads from Verizon or the donut shop or the dildo emporium.

rated:
ganda said:   
scrouds said:   
ganda said:   I bought some coffee pods at Starbucks today. I don't drink coffee, I don't read about or shop for coffee on my PC. After my Starbucks purchase I got ads on my PC for those same pods on sale online. [/twilight zone music] The only thing that identified me in Starbucks was my credit card, so Citi must have sold some information to an online ad company.

I thought of that, my phone was in the car (it normally is). This wasn't a free standing Starbucks, I could have been going to any store in the row, but I didn't get ads from Verizon or the donut shop or the dildo emporium.

Do you have Apple or Android Pay on your phone (and credit card info input)?
Somehow those might be tied together. I have Google Opinion Rewards on my phone, I get a lot of surveys asking if I went to a (choose from 5 locations), if it's yes, it asks when, then if I used a credit card, debit card, or didn't make purchase. It knows when I've shopped.

I already know they are tracking me so I figure I should at least get paid for it, lol. Google Opinion Rewards I have around $30 to spend in the Google Play Store (I use to buy/rent movies, or buy ebooks). Each survey is between $.10 and $.30
Screenwise Trends is also Google, I have it as a Chrome extension, and apps on my phone, tablet. Get paid $1/wk per device (up to 3). I redeem those for Amazon or Starbucks gift cards. 
So I guess I sell my soul for about $3 and a few cents every week

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017