• filter:

natural gas-ventless space heater- decent???

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I want to pick your brain.  I heat with natural gas.  My state has fracking and my monthly budget plan for natural gas is low.  My problem is that in the Winter my electric bill is pretty high- I think this is due to the blower on my furnace.

I am considering a 30,000 BTU  ventless natural gas- blue flame- for the first floor as a partial way to heat.

The logic is- if the furnace blower blows less- then my electric bill comes down.

The unit- can be used with out a fan or with one.

Any ideas?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
if the furnace does not blow, how do you get the heat? only radiation? how does the heat get distributed?

rated:
That's how those Mr. Heater thing work. However, I would not have it as a standard installation due to possible dangers.

https://www.hunker.com/12000417/how-do-ventless-gas-heaters-work

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/energy-solutions/...

If you are in a moderate climate, consider install a mini-split heat-pump instead.

rated:
Ventless or not, if it burns, it will still consume oxygen and give off Carbon Monoxide. Personally, I would not trust such a heater that was not vented.

As far as furnace fan, there are ways to wire the furnace blower to spin faster or slower but you got to know the schematic of the circuit board and only the furnace repairman probably knows how to read it and what wires to move. When I had my new furnace installed, I had the furnace installer select the highest fan speed as I have a long run from the furnace to the front of the house and it was always cooler because the old furnace fan was weak and not the fastst speed. Now with the fan running high, the front rooms are much warmer in winter and cooler in summer. I really did not notice any difference in the electric bill because of this fan speed increase.

Perhaps your high elec bills are caused by other electric appliance uses that you are not considering such as unnecessary outside lighting or your neighbor tapping your outside outlets.

Exactly how high is high during winter? My winter elec bills run less than $2 a day but I have mostly fluorescent lighting in the house which use less elec than conventional bulbs. I usually dont light rooms that I am not using.
Summer elec with the 28 year old central A/C unit runs less than $110 / mo as I bought one of the more efficient models of central air way back when and it has paid off well in the long run. Probably by todays standards it is not that efficient but I cant complain and it has never had a breakdown all those years.
I live in the West suburban Chicago area and I dont have a heat pump.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017