• filter:

interesting job application email

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
a few months back, i applied for a job with a company. they wanted to interview me, but i was in negotiations with another company. in correspondence, i found that the $$ involved was inadequate for my needs and skill set, so i passed on the interview. basically, i told them, "thanks, but no thanks"

today, i got an email from them. it was one of those automated emails that they send out saying something like "after further consideration, we will unfortunately not be considering you further for this position," or "thanks, but no thanks."

um, yeah, you won't be considering me because i turned you down 2 months ago :p

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
interesting. i just applied for a position with a startup over the weekend and then was looking at another opening when i ran into a old acquaintance who just happened to start at the 2nd company last week. i think the first may be the dream job. we'll see.

rated:
Good luck with the new jobs to the both of you!!

rated:
Probably a canned response sent to everyone who they did not extend an offer to. I made an internal posting and got a response "Thank you for your interest in Company xyz." Ummm, I am already here!

rated:
yeah, totally canned. interesting timing, because my gf got one recently that also didn't quite match the situation. so i got to use it to illustrate how they sometimes just don't mean anything

rated:
email them back and beg for the job. Tell them you will do anything, and see what happens.

rated:
During a job interview the boss of the position I was seeking asked me my current salary. He flinched when I told him. Before meeting with him I was interviewed by a committee made up of the three stooges. They didn't have anything nice to say about the boss guy. I could tell it wouldn't be a good fit for me. I really wanted to email the HR rep and say that I wanted to remove myself from consideration for the job. My wife said that would be rude so I didn't. Turns out the moron rejected me because I didn't have enough experience coordinating email requests for information with company personnel. Job hunting and interviewing is a realy PITA.

Edited to add: My guess is the position was probably a 20% pay cut from what I was making.

rated:
hahah i found that you always have something interesting to share. Nice !

rated:
I once got a "thanks but no thanks" email notification 18 months later.

rated:
Not job related, but Staples just sent me a rebate denial for a rebate they already paid months ago.

rated:
Got this email back from Fatwallet in May 2006
Dear Kayk:

We would like to express our appreciation for your interest in our internship program. It is with deepest regrets that we must inform you that all internship positions have been filled.
As it is our intent to make this internship an annual occurrence, we encourage you to keep your eyes on the forums for next year.
Good luck this summer!
Sincerely,

FatWallet Internship Committee

When I replied back asking if there was specific they was anything they were looking for or I should learn, they replied back with a nice detailed response!

We really appreciate the interest you have shown in our
internship program and we would definitely like to invite you
to apply again next year.

Listed below are 4 topic areas that we recommend to all
interested interns. Please consider getting as much exposure
to these as possible.

Fatwallet Internship: Additional Focus Areas
1) PHP
PHP is a very popular web development language, yet a language that is seldom taught at the university level. We would definitely recommend getting more exposure to it as time allows.

2) MySQL/Database Design
Use MySQL in your projects where a database is required. SQL is mostly transparent between the different databases, but this will allow you to understand how MySQL differs from others such as Oracle. Take as many additional database design classes as possible, if you can squeeze them into your schedule. Developing a good understanding of database design, normalization, and re-factoring will prove immensely useful to your career.

3) Design Team Experience
If you can't get part-time employment that will allow you to work on a design team then get your feet wet working as part of an Open Source project. What you do isn't as important as the lessons you learn from working in a design team environment. There are many projects that are constantly looking for help. The experience would be invaluable. Open Source Projects have even been described as a "Virtual" internship in the article, linked below:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/08/01/opensourcedevelopers.html

4) LAMP Exposure
Fatwallet makes intense use of Linux, Apache, Mysql, and PHP(LAMP). Learning as much about these technologies and how they interrelate to each other will provide greater technical breadth and round out the formal academic training.

We will start the intern evaulation process a littlier earlier for the 2007 season, so please watch the Fatwallet forums for additional information. Again Thanks for your interest! Fatwallet would like to wish you the best luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

rated:
Wow, that's nice of them to do that. No mentioning of ban-stick experience, but I can be a fast learner if properly primed with good beer.

rated:
KayK said:   Got this email back from Fatwallet in May 2006
Dear

Huh, nothing about "we cant risk Celine Dion playing on anyone's desktop."

rated:
and KayK, you were still able to eat, live and make a life for yourself after that horrible rejection from FW. Congrats. Imagine what your life would be like today if you did get that internship.
you could have started that ride hailing app and been fired as CEO!

rated:
miserly said:   and KayK, you were still able to eat, live and make a life for yourself after that horrible rejection from FW. Congrats. Imagine what your life would be like today if you did get that internship.
you could have started that ride hailing app and been fired as CEO!

Was the UBER CEO  an ex-fatwallet intern?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017