• filter:

When is a 4x4 not a 4x4?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/06/21/home-...

$5 million dollar Class Action Lawsuit over the size of lumber - specifically 4x4's that are nominally 3 1/2" x 3 1/2".

This is clearly a money grab, though at only $5 million, seems like they are leaving a lot of potential $$$ on the table.

Home Depot and Menards are the targets...

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I am shocked, shocked I say! How dare they!

And for those just starting our in the world of woods, hardwoods have different sizing.

rated:
survey said: But an unscientific survey of 18 Menards shoppers found that about a third were unaware that "four-by-four" doesn’t represent actual dimensions of that piece of lumber.

But do they know where chocolate milk comes from?

rated:
A 4x4 is not a 4x4 when a Subway foot-long is not a foot long.

rated:
hardwood?

yes

rated:
Lying about the size of their wood?

rated:
Buy dimensional lumber. Problem solved.

rated:
when you go to the bar, if you order a pint, it's usually about 14 ounces

rated:
They should allow the range of 3-13.

rated:
morecowbell said:   when you go to the bar, if you order a pint, it's usually about 14 ounces
  And a pint of ice cream is 14 oz. And half a gallon of juice is 59 oz

rated:
dannon35 said:   Buy dimensional lumber. Problem solved.

... This is dimensional lumber.

rated:
i've been coming to fatwallet for years. upon further review, my wallet is in fact just of an average size, and not anything one would call "fat"

what's the attorney's #?

rated:
Did that law firm handle the Neverending Story scam?

rated:
scrouds said:   

Alas, you are correct. I should have said "true" dimensional lumber. Which I have subsequently learned is not readily available!!! Sucks to get old.

rated:
dannon35 said:   scrouds said:   

Alas, you are correct. I should have said "true" dimensional lumber. Which I have subsequently learned is not readily available!!! Sucks to get old.

If you want a true 4x4 you need to buy a 6x6 and cut it down yourself.

rated:
scrouds said:   If you want a true 4x4 you need to buy a 6x6 and cut it down yourself.
Ron Swanson would never buy a 6x6 but instead would chop down a tree he had planted when he was a child.  

rated:
On Home Depot's website the measurements provided state: Common: 2 in. x 4 in. x 8 ft.; Actual: 1.5 in. x 3.5 in. x 96 in. People that file lawsuits like this is why there's a sticker on my hair dryer that says, "Do not use while taking a bath." Idiots like the plaintiffs (and their attorneys) should be deported to Mars.

rated:
overclock said:   On Home Depot 's website the measurements provided state: Common: 2 in. x 4 in. x 8 ft.; Actual: 1.5 in. x 3.5 in. x 96 in. People that file lawsuits like this is why there's a sticker on my hair dryer that says, "Do not use while taking a bath." Idiots like the plaintiffs (and their attorneys) should be deported to Mars.
  Roughly 70% of the cross sectional area, and thus strength.

rated:
KayK said:   A 4x4 is not a 4x4 when a Subway foot-long is not a foot long.

When I'm in Europe, those "foot longs" on the menu are "30 cm." Contrary to what you've learned from Pulp Fiction, the Quarter Pounders with Cheese aren't always referred to "Royale with Cheese." You may still see Quarter Pounders, as it's the name of a product.

As far as a 4x4, I don't know. I've never shopped for lumber in Europe.

When you read on police blogs that someone was hit on the head with a 4x4, that probably refers to any large size block of wood. People who clobber other people with wood, don't usually measure it before they go clobbering.

rated:
burgerwars said:   
KayK said:   A 4x4 is not a 4x4 when a Subway foot-long is not a foot long.

When I'm in Europe, those "foot longs" on the menu are "30 cm." Contrary to what you've learned from Pulp Fiction, the Quarter Pounders with Cheese aren't always referred to "Royale with Cheese." You may still see Quarter Pounders, as it's the name of a product.

As far as 4x4, I don't know. I've never shopped for lumber in Europe.

When you read on police blogs that someone was hit on the head with a 4x4, that probably refers to any large size block of wood. People who clobber other people with wood, don't usually measure it before they go clobbering.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017