• filter:

"rare" doesn't always mean "valuable"

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
i see people post things for sale on craigslist and offerup and stuff and ask outrageous prices for things because they are "rare." or maybe they are asking outrageous prices, and it's incidental that they happen to be "rare." anyway, they don't seem to consider that it may be "rare" because the item wasn't successful. sometimes it's just crap

i see these things listed, and i think to myself that i will still see it listed for months to come

sorry, your $50 guitar isn't worth $200 just because it's rare. it's worth $50

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
... And I'm only going to offer you $30

rated:
I'll give you tree fiddy for it.

rated:
I like my steak rare. I certainly hope they don't increase the price because of that.

rated:
I don't get it when I see what is labeled as a "rare photograph" on the web. It isn't rare. Everyone on the internet can see it and make their own copy. There's like a billion of them.

rated:
The program i am writing is rare.. it's one of a kind.

It's also a P.O.S.

rated:
KayK said:   The program i am writing is rare.. it's one of a kind.

It's also a P.O.S.

You're writing Point Of Sale software?

rated:
george2001 said:   KayK said:   The program i am writing is rare.. it's one of a kind.

It's also a P.O.S.

Naah.

It's a Palpable Obtrusive Sinister program.

rated:
KayK said:   george2001 said:   KayK said:   The program i am writing is rare.. it's one of a kind.

It's also a P.O.S.

Naah.

It's a Palpable Obtrusive Sinister program.

It's a left handed program?

rated:
There was this book I grew up with in my childhood called "The Big Book of Amazing Facts" published in 1980. I loved that book and would really like to have a copy of my long lost daily bible as I called it lol. But apparently it's "rare" as I cant find it online from more than 5 sources worldwide, and the cheapest price is $199! Yikes

rated:
I see that frequently with eBay sellers peddling past season clothes. COMPLETELY SOLD OUT! @@

rated:
"worth" and "value" are subjective.

Just because you're not willing to pay more doesn't mean there isn't a willing buyer out there.

rated:
mudley said:   "worth" and "value" are subjective.

Just because you're not willing to pay more doesn't mean there isn't a willing buyer out there.

this is true. however, i was speaking to the adding of the word "rare" to add to the "value" of the purchase. an aspiring collector will feel buyer's remorse after said purchase after learning the truth 

ETA it is also worth mentioning that "rare" is also a subjective term. one of the ways a buyer may feel remorse is after finding out that the purchase was "rare" because the seller didn't see a bunch of them on craigslist or something, but yet that there were quite a few of them made. so the "rare" purchase wasn't actually "rare"

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017