• filter:

red lion hotels

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
i stayed at one that was pretty terrible. are they all that bad? or was it just my bad luck?

this one - the "marble" flooring to the bathroom entry was broken. a knob was missing from one of the doors going to the closet. the tissue box was not mounted in the decorative part of the sink area designed for it. the chair was stained, and looked like a thrift store clearance item. the toilet seat had seen better days, as it was bubbling in spots. paint was spotty throughout the hotel, like it was constantly being remodeled, and it smelled like someone overdid it with their signature smell (like a cherry-ish cleaner)

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
i've stayed at red lion twice in the last 20 years. one was fine, in glendale CA. that one became a hilton later. it was a highrise.
the low rise, more motel like one was in medford, OR. that one was like a Motel 6.
i thought they went out of business; i guess they haven't.

rated:
morecowbell said:   i stayed at one that was pretty terrible. are they all that bad? or was it just my bad luck?

this one - the "marble" flooring to the bathroom entry was broken. a knob was missing from one of the doors going to the closet. the tissue box was not mounted in the decorative part of the sink area designed for it. the chair was stained, and looked like a thrift store clearance item. the toilet seat had seen better days, as it was bubbling in spots. paint was spotty throughout the hotel, like it was constantly being remodeled, and it smelled like someone overdid it with their signature smell (like a cherry-ish cleaner)

Either your description is too kind, or you stayed in one of the better ones.

Since you are a regular traveler, I am surprised that you are not aware that usually a few $ more will get you a much better property.
Next time you are in an area with an abundance of vacant rooms, instead of booking in advance, try walking up to a better property and negotiate a reasonable rate after checking out the room/facility first. It's a perishable commodity. Most are sensible enough to go significantly lower, specially if paying with cash.

rated:
Red Lion chain used to be decent but they seems to be on the down slide lately. Marriott seems to be taking over everything in the US. My other choice are Holiday Inn Ex and Best Western.

rated:
ocean935 said:   
morecowbell said:   i stayed at one that was pretty terrible. are they all that bad? or was it just my bad luck?

Since you are a regular traveler, I am surprised that you are not aware that usually a few $ more will get you a much better property.
Next time you are in an area with an abundance of vacant rooms, instead of booking in advance, try walking up to a better property and negotiate a reasonable rate after checking out the room/facility first. It's a perishable commodity. Most are sensible enough to go significantly lower, specially if paying with cash.

on this trip, the other hotels were about $50 or more than this one, and i could have to justify my expenses. i usually try for a Holiday Inn or something comparable. unfortunately, everything was out of my price range, and rooms seemed to be getting booked pretty quickly. i dunno what was going on in the area, but the rental car company that i use also did not have any cars available.

an ex of mine mentioned "red lion" years ago, so i went with that. apparently they had gone downhill since then. now i know...

i have heard of doing the bit where you negotiate at the desk, but i am using my company cc, so no cash available to sweeten the deal   

rated:
Never been to a red lion, but I've been to a food lion.

rated:
morecowbell said:   ocean935 said:   

on this trip, the other hotels were about $50 or more than this one, and i could have to justify my expenses. i usually try for a Holiday Inn or something comparable. unfortunately, everything was out of my price range, and rooms seemed to be getting booked pretty quickly. i dunno what was going on in the area, but the rental car company that i use also did not have any cars available.

an ex of mine mentioned "red lion" years ago, so i went with that. apparently they had gone downhill since then. now i know...

i have heard of doing the bit where you negotiate at the desk, but i am using my company cc, so no cash available to sweeten the deal   

Would they go for "the reviews online said they had bedbugs" as a justification?

rated:
The only time I ever got bed bug bite was at a Quality Inn in Hannibal, Missouri.

Only stayed for one night and found bites along my leg in a row, confounded me at first since I was wearing pants the entire time I was outside then Google answered it.. freaked me out and I got rid of one piece of older luggage.

rated:
morecowbell said:   

an ex of mine mentioned "red lion" years ago, so i went with that.

An ex???

Besides, what did you expect? A recommendation to make your life more comfortable?

rated:
she wasn't an ex at the time

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017