• filter:

Robocaller made 97 million calls in 3 months; fined $120M

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Telemarketers Beware: Man Who Made 97 Million Robocalls Faces Record $120 Million Fine.

If you've ever answered the phone and been annoyed to hear a pre-recorded voice on the other end, you may find it especially satisfying that the Federal Communications Commission has identified what appears to be the single worst perpetrator of robocalls. Adrian Abramovich, 47, of Miami is accused of placing 97 million robocalls in the last three months of 2016 alone. He's been doing this for years, so his total of annoying robocalls likely stretches into the billions. The FCC has proposed a fine of $120M as punishment.The calls begin with a pre-recorded message pretending to be from MarriottExpedia, or TripAdvisor. They offer an exclusive vacation deal you can learn about if you press 1. But if you do press 1, your call is routed to a call center in Mexico operated by one of several travel companies there that will try to sell you vacation packages or timeshares. Needless to say, none of this has anything to do with MarriottExpedia, or TripAdvisor.

Link to complete article  

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:

rated:
Funny, I was watching this news on the national evening news the other day when her landline rings. Yup, you guess it, another robo call.

The sentence is way too light. Should be beaten to a pulp then air dropped over ISIS held lands.

rated:
The penalty for violating Do Not Call needs to be increased to DEATH. Quick executions too.

rated:
The sad thing is that none of his victims will ever receive any compensation for the harassment. I've received so many calls from this asshat. To top it off somebody else will just take his place.

rated:

rated:
burgerwars said:   The penalty for violating Do Not Call needs to be increased to DEATH. Quick executions too.Penalty should be 24/7 robocalls that can't be blocked, ignored, or hung up on.  You must answer each and every call.   

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
burgerwars said:   The penalty for violating Do Not Call needs to be increased to DEATH. Quick executions too.
Penalty should be 24/7 robocalls that can't be blocked, ignored, or hung up on.  You must answer each and every call.   

how about federal "pound me in the a$$" prison  

rated:
The must be mad and doubled on their efforts. Just received 6 robocalls in 4 hours on my google voice number that has been dormant for months.

rated:
How much did he make? Authorities like to tout their $120 million fines for behavior that earned $250 million.

rated:
How much was his phone bill for 97 million calls?

rated:

rated:
overclock said:   The sad thing is that none of his victims will ever receive any compensation for the harassment. I've received so many calls from this asshat. To top it off somebody else will just take his place.
  Really? The victim will not receive a single cent compensation? I read an article at http://www.whycall.me/news/my-4500-payday-from-a-telemarketer/ and it said that the victim got few thousands from the court. I don't know if it's right or not, but I think if you don't file any complaint, so you will never get anything. CMIIW.

rated:
I get calls on my mobile phone daily from businesses that want to sell me house remodeling services. I'm using TrueCaller and am blocking the numbers from there.

rated:
I get 30 calls a day. And I am on the do not call list.

rated:
Time to unleash some Lenny....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWrkDOt_IfM&t=2s

rated:
tonyquart said:   overclock said:   The sad thing is that none of his victims will ever receive any compensation for the harassment. I've received so many calls from this asshat. To top it off somebody else will just take his place.
  Really? The victim will not receive a single cent compensation? I read an article at http://www.whycall.me/news/my-4500-payday-from-a-telemarketer/ and it said that the victim got few thousands from the court. I don't know if it's right or not, but I think if you don't file any complaint, so you will never get anything. CMIIW.

Suing telemarketers is different than a government fine. Fines are all fine and dandy but what happens with the money? What does the government do with it? Just deposit it as a miscellaneous receipt to the treasury?

Most of the time telemarketers spoof the caller ID information. Maybe I'll contact that law firm and see what they can do for me.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017