• filter:

Why do most newspaper stories list the person’s age?

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
John Doe, 42, says he was at the cash register when two armed men entered the store… Steve Smith, 55, says he doesn’t mind the traffic but… Why do nearly all the articles in the paper mention the age of the person? It doesn’t have anything to do with the report, especially if a picture of the person is included. I can understand if the story is describing a suspect of a crime, but it's usually just stories about random stuff or daily events. I thought it was rude to ask a person’s age but apparently news reporters don’t care.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
How old are you?

rated:
^^
/hard swoon

rated:
george2001 said:   How old are you?
  If a reporter asks you that, do you have to show ID?

rated:
atikovi said:   
george2001 said:   How old are you?
  If a reporter asks you that, do you have to show ID?

  Yes.

rated:
i got carded today for cough syrup.

rated:
So we can verify that millennials are a buncha criminals.

rated:
since they report so many lies, they want to throw in a truth here and there

rated:
This is an American thing; in European newspapers they never list age, even if it is sort of part of the story.
I guess it is like if when they interview a random hobo eyewitness on something for evening news, they have his name on the screen. Do I need to know his name?

rated:
MommyOfHAndK said:   This is an American thing; in European newspapers they never list age, even if it is sort of part of the story.
I guess it is like if when they interview a random hobo eyewitness on something for evening news, they have his name on the screen. Do I need to know his name?

brits have to know jerry lee's wife's age  

rated:
MommyOfHAndK said:   This is an American thing; in European newspapers they never list age, even if it is sort of part of the story.
I guess it is like if when they interview a random hobo eyewitness on something for evening news, they have his name on the screen. Do I need to know his name?

Is "random hobo" preferable?

rated:
Have you never heard of the five Ws? And if you think age is irrelevant to a story, I think you're in denial. Right or wrong, we often have different perceptions on behaviors depending on the age of the person as in turn, the age of the person often has an impact on his/her beliefs/behavior/perception.

rated:
MommyOfHAndK said:   This is an American thing; in European newspapers they never list age, even if it is sort of part of the story.
I guess it is like if when they interview a random hobo eyewitness on something for evening news, they have his name on the screen. Do I need to know his name?

  
Hmm.
ganda, 45, disagrees with you. Even the higher end UK newspapers do it 

It would add more to the story if the random hobo eyewitness was described by smell "stale beer and urine soaked eyewitness"
 

rated:
ganda said:   
MommyOfHAndK said:   This is an American thing; in European newspapers they never list age, even if it is sort of part of the story.
I guess it is like if when they interview a random hobo eyewitness on something for evening news, they have his name on the screen. Do I need to know his name?

  
Hmm.
ganda, 45, disagrees with you. Even the higher end UK newspapers do it 

It would add more to the story if the random hobo eyewitness was described by smell "stale beer and urine soaked eyewitness"

  In the UK they're not hobos, they're "rough sleepers"

rated:
kamalktk said:   
ganda said:   
MommyOfHAndK said:   This is an American thing; in European newspapers they never list age, even if it is sort of part of the story.
I guess it is like if when they interview a random hobo eyewitness on something for evening news, they have his name on the screen. Do I need to know his name?

  
Hmm.
ganda, 45, disagrees with you. Even the higher end UK newspapers do it 

It would add more to the story if the random hobo eyewitness was described by smell "stale beer and urine soaked eyewitness"

  In the UK they're not hobos, they're "rough sleepers"

  
Tramps or Scottish

rated:
ganda said:   
MommyOfHAndK said:   This is an American thing; in European newspapers they never list age, even if it is sort of part of the story.
I guess it is like if when they interview a random hobo eyewitness on something for evening news, they have his name on the screen. Do I need to know his name?

  
Hmm.
ganda, 45, disagrees with you. Even the higher end UK newspapers do it 

It would add more to the story if the random hobo eyewitness was described by smell "stale beer and urine soaked eyewitness"

 Edit: This is an American thing; in Finnish newspapers they never list age, even if it is sort of part of the story.
And poor Mr Kim,36 

rated:
MommyOfHAndK said:   
ganda said:   
MommyOfHAndK said:   This is an American thing; in European newspapers they never list age, even if it is sort of part of the story.
I guess it is like if when they interview a random hobo eyewitness on something for evening news, they have his name on the screen. Do I need to know his name?

  
Hmm.
ganda, 45, disagrees with you. Even the higher end UK newspapers do it 

It would add more to the story if the random hobo eyewitness was described by smell "stale beer and urine soaked eyewitness"

 Edit: This is an American thing; in Finnish newspapers they never list age, even if it is sort of part of the story.
And poor Mr Kim,36 

  
But the story doesn't say how old Mr Kim's partner Mark Ciccone is - 19 or 92? It is pertinent to the story! Too old to be "chemmed-up", or too young for stuff that weird? It's pertinent! 

rated:
Age isn't enough, they should also list height, weight, and hand size.

rated:
<< Why do most newspaper stories list the person’s age?  >>

why are people stupid enough to truthfully answer questions ?
because they want their 15s of fame.


so many people are in the habit of giving truthful answer when signing in for an email, becoming on line member of whatever, ...

I have a file where I keep track of "my" name, "my" birth date .. address.. phone...

If I google my LAST name, I find 2 or 3 listings in the States: all coming from phone book.

Many people want to be "known", so they like to read about simple people like them in the papers. One day it could be them.

rated:
moonbeam said:   So we can verify that millennials are a buncha criminals. Sush granny!

Us millennials are paying for your Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid.. so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

rated:
The other day at T@rget self-checkout lane buying some kiddie fireworks and the "waiting age verification" message pops up.  The attendant said that I've to be over 18 to buy the firework so I'll have to enter by DOB on the screen, I asked does it have to be my real DOB?  He said no so I entered my 01/01/1999 as my burfday.  This is despite me hitting the big Five Oh' later this year.

rated:
KayK said:   
moonbeam said:   So we can verify that millennials are a buncha criminals.
Sush granny!

Us millennials are paying for your Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid.. so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

You are??!! Perhaps you should start sending the money directly because I'm not getting anything from ss. 

rated:
moonbeam said:   KayK said:   
moonbeam said:   So we can verify that millennials are a buncha criminals.
Sush granny!

Us millennials are paying for your Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid.. so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

You are??!! Perhaps you should start sending the money directly because I'm not getting anything from ss. 

It was in the box with the Kindle Fire.

rated:
kamalktk said:   
moonbeam said:   
KayK said:   
moonbeam said:   So we can verify that millennials are a buncha criminals.
Sush granny!

Us millennials are paying for your Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid.. so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

You are??!! Perhaps you should start sending the money directly because I'm not getting anything from ss. 

It was in the box with the Kindle Fire.

Meh, don't listen to him. we all know it's "WE millennials." anyone who says "Us millennials" couldn't know how the system "works"  

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017