• filter:

Are brake lights required when you are stopped?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Theoretical question but to get on to my street I have to turn left off a two lane road. If there is oncoming traffic I stop and wait until there is an open spot and cars behind just go around on the shoulder or just wait. If there is light traffic, I always worry that someone isnít paying attention and might run into me since itís a 40 mph road. Since the road is flat and sometimes Iím driving a stick, I would not have my foot on the brake. Could I be liable if someone hits me from behind if the brake lights are not on and Iím stopped? Turn signals are on of course.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I would not think so since your blinkers are on. Plus, whoever hits from behind is 99% at fault. Now, if you decelerate with your clutch and don't put the blinker, and the guy behind you has a dash cam, and it seems you were doing it on purpose, then, maybe then, you fall into that 1%.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   †Plus, whoever hits from behind is 99% at fault.†
† Thats what I'm thinking, but also think someone that hits me would argue to the judge that this belongs in the 1% as I wouldn't have the brake lights on.

rated:
Check with that guy in Finance who wont cut his grass, your city probably hasn't defined "brake lights" or "car" or "stop".

rated:
Why wouldn't your foot be on the brake? Seems like an easy solution to prevent someone from rear ending you. Also, if someone does hit you and sends your car into the other lane then you would be liable for that wreck if you didn't have your brake applied. Being on a flat road has nothing to do with being a safe, conscious driver.

rated:
overclock said:   Why wouldn't your foot be on the brake?†
† Umm, because I only have two feet.

rated:
If I'm waiting at an uphill junction my brake lights aren't on, I'm using the hand/parking brake to hold the car. This is doubly true in my oldest stick shift which has no hill assist wizardry at all.

rated:
At least you finally know how many feet you have.

If you're stopped waiting to turn left, why are your 2 feet not on the clutch and brake?

rated:
Because I want to make the turn before getting rearended so my right foot is covering the accelerator waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic.

rated:
1. Apply your brakes when stopped.
2. Plan your turn with enough time so you don't have to floor it to cut past oncoming traffic.

rated:
What would you do if you need to drive up a steep incline from a standstill?
Same thing.
Keep your heel on the brake and toe on the gas.

Stick-shift poser!

rated:
ocean935 said:   What would you do if you need to drive up a steep incline from a standstill?

††
Handbrake, that's why it's there, well that and playing in the snow.

rated:
ocean935 said:   What would you do if you need to drive up a steep incline from a standstill?
Same thing.
Keep your heel on the brake and toe on the gas.

Stick-shift poser!

I guess that's a little better than slipping the clutch on the hill, but the handbrake is the proper way.

rated:
atikovi said:   Because I want to make the turn before getting rearended so my right foot is covering the accelerator waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic.
So if you don't want to get it in the rear apply your brakes so that the vehicle's brake lights are lit up which will tell people behind you that you are stopped. It doesn't take that long to take your foot off the brake pedal and punch the accelerator.

rated:
overclock said:   
atikovi said:   Because I want to make the turn before getting rearended so my right foot is covering the accelerator waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic.
So if you don't want to get it in the rear apply your brakes so that the vehicle's brake lights are lit up which will tell people behind you that you are stopped. It doesn't take that long to take your foot off the brake pedal and punch the accelerator.

† Understand that, just asking about the legal aspect. And if they don't see my flashing turn signal, why would they see my brake light?

rated:
atikovi said:   overclock said:   

† Understand that, just asking about the legal aspect. And if they don't see my flashing turn signal, why would they see my brake light?

Because brake lights are brighter and more numerous than the turn signal. I am glad to hear that you use your turn signals.

Unless the other driver has a dashcam in their car, the cops nor the insurance companies will probably ever know that your brakes lights were not on. But with all distracted driving going on nowadays I would just apply my brakes. Don't give other drivers more credit than they deserve, which isn't much.

rated:
when you are behind the wheel of a car, you are required to maintain control of it at all times. that means if you're stopped, you have to be able to stay stopped

if someone hits you from behind, you may not be liable for "causing the accident," but you are liable for a bunch of other stuff (i think some were covered already in the thread)

i have 2 feet, and yet i am able to keep a foot on the brake and a foot on the clutch. let's not pretend it's really complicated for someone with 2 feet

is this a trolling expedition? gotta ask

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017