• filter:

Bought a restricted ticket

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Asked somebody to book for me a low-priced one-way ticket for a domestic flight tomorrow.
There was some miscommunication. He thought the "arrive by" time I gave him was the "depart by" time, and now my flight is for several hours later than it should have been.
I need to be at my destination much earlier.
Unfortunately, the ticket comes with all the restrictions - non-refundable, non-transferable, non-changeable, etc. etc.
All this would be funny, except it's not.

Any suggestions?

Note: there is still time to buy flight insurance, but that does not cover my situation.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Beg for mercy.

If that doesn't work, pay the change fee.

If you like rolling the dice shoe up early and ask to fly standby

rated:
Thanks for the suggestions.
Change-fee is not permitted.
The stand-by idea seems promising. I will call to check on their policy.

rated:
ocean935 said:   Thanks for the suggestions.
Change-fee is not permitted.
The stand-by idea seems promising. I will call to check on their policy.

that usually triggers the change fee request. but you may get lucky. good luck.

rated:
Got through to a clueless agent in a call center in India. The supervisor seemed to be knowledgeable.
He said pay the difference, if any, in the fare, plus a $25 fee for one-way ($50 for round-trip), and I should be good to go.
Since the ticket is restricted and does not allow changes, I am not entirely sure.
I hope it works out.

I'll try to remember to post the results here for posterity, and for the benefit of those who might face a similar situation in the future.

In the meantime, I am open to more suggestions.

rated:
What airline

rated:
United

rated:
See this about cancelling a restricted ticket within 24 hours of purchase: https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/notice-24hour-reservation

Only for domestic tickets that leave at least a week in the future, if my memory is correct.

Flight insurance might work, but at this point it might just be for a medical reason. If you're desperate, buy the insurance then fall down the stairs (just kidding).

rated:
sorry i am posting this now. i didn't read the OP yesterday, for some reason

i have changed flights a couple of times recently. one time i paid a high fee, and the other time they told me about the fee being less if the change request is less than 24 hr before the flight. iirc, the original fee was $250, and the within 24 hr fee was $50. i waited, and paid less. this seems counter intuitive to me, but whatever

rated:
mcb, are you in the future?

rated:
"bought a restricted ticket" sounds like he bought a ticket, then had to go to his room

rated:
sublimosa said:   mcb, are you in the future?
are you asking if we're gonna get married? i guess we'll find out!  

rated:
ah, for some reason i looked at my calendar and read it as the 14th. guess i'm not sorry for not reading it yesterday  

rated:
morecowbell said:   

i thought she was asking if she has killed you yet?  

rated:
morecowbell said:   

same joke as a cartoon

rated:
green for xkcd

rated:
OP, why don't you at least call the airline and see what they have to offer? If you don't like what you hear from them then go to the airport early and sign up for stand by, if you have any kind of other than regular MileagePlus status then you should be fine.

rated:
No standby, no changes, no refunds, no seat assignments, no carry ons with the United basic fare.

Not worth the $15 savings.

rated:
scrouds said:   No standby, no changes, no refunds, no seat assignments, no carry ons with the United basic fare.

Exactly right!
The fool I assigned the job to decided he would impress me by a lower price than I had quoted.
How hard is it to follow "Please book me a seat on any airline from A to B, arriving by 5pm. The lowest fare via kayak is $479"?
So he got me "departing" at 5pm, and saved me $17 by buying this ultra-restrictive ticket. And I can't even bring a carry-on?
"You can check it".
"No, thank you".

I think I will end up buying a totally new ticket and eat the cost of this one. Lesson learned.

rated:
ocean935 said:   
scrouds said:   No standby, no changes, no refunds, no seat assignments, no carry ons with the United basic fare.

I think I will end up buying a totally new ticket and he will be  eat the cost of this one. Lesson learned.

Fixed.....

rated:
ocean935 said:   scrouds said:   No standby, no changes, no refunds, no seat assignments, no carry ons with the United basic fare.

Exactly right!
The fool I assigned the job to decided he would impress me by a lower price than I had quoted.
How hard is it to follow "Please book me a seat on any airline from A to B, arriving by 5pm. The lowest fare via kayak is $479"?
So he got me "departing" at 5pm, and saved me $17 by buying this ultra-restrictive ticket. And I can't even bring a carry-on?
"You can check it".
"No, thank you".

I think I will end up buying a totally new ticket and eat the cost of this one. Lesson learned.

This proves he can be fired with no regret because his reasoning skills are awful. Just save yourself the future aggravation. This reminds me of a guy a marked something to be deleted with an x, and he just drew an 'x' on the plan sheet. It never went uphill from there.

rated:
ocean935 said:   Asked somebody to book for me a low-priced one-way ticket for a domestic flight tomorrow.

You felt so important that you not only had someone else do this easy task that requires no expertise, but you also left out the subject when it wasn't the implied "you"?  How much time did you really save?

I originally thought this was going to be about a concert or ball game ticket for a seat behind a column that blocked the view.

rated:
Way to be harsh.
It wasn't about saving time. I was on the highway, and would be for a few more hours.
Couldn't do it, and didn't want to wait and possibly miss out on the last available seat.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017