• filter:

Attention istillpickuppennies

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Twice this week I have been asked when handed my change at two different places, "Do you want the pennies?"

Is this a thing now?

I also know someone who throws his pennies in the trash when he empties his pockets at night.

I hope that isn't a thing now too.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I never been asked that. I have a jar that I throw changes in and every once a while I take it to Coinstar to cash into Amazon GC.

rated:
Coinstar? Only fools do that. Might as well throw the money in the trash.
Quite a few banks do it for free.

rated:
I recently visited a poor country, where a decent salary for a graduate is ~$200 per month. While they have coins for the equivalent of US 1c and 2c, they have practically done away with their usage. Even for 5c, I was typically offered a candy in lieu. I would say no every time.
I can't even imagine how much tougher they are unnecessarily making life for themselves.

rated:
ocean935 said:   Coinstar? Only fools do that. Might as well throw the money in the trash.
Quite a few banks do it for free.

  
??? It's free with Coinstar if you take an Amazon credit, at least it was last time I did it.

rated:
Can't you still buy thoughts for a penny?

rated:
ocean935 said:   Might as well throw the money in the trash.

 

  Except coinstar gives you money and the trash doesn't? 

rated:
ganda said:   ocean935 said:   Coinstar? Only fools do that. Might as well throw the money in the trash.
Quite a few banks do it for free.

  
??? It's free with Coinstar if you take an Amazon credit, at least it was last time I did it.

But then you lose the 1-2% for using a credit card.

Better to throw it in the trash so you can make your Cashback

rated:
george2001 said:   Can't you still buy thoughts for a penny?
You can, but I give crappier thoughts now to account for inflation.

rated:
scrouds said:   
ganda said:   
ocean935 said:   Coinstar? Only fools do that. Might as well throw the money in the trash.
Quite a few banks do it for free.

  
??? It's free with Coinstar if you take an Amazon credit, at least it was last time I did it.

But then you lose the 1-2% for using a credit card.

Better to throw it in the trash so you can make your Cashback

  So maybe you end up with around $10 worth of coins in your change jar, including pennies.  It would be better to throw away the $10 because you'd lose 10 or 20 cents worth of cash back?

rated:
Collect all the pennies and send out to is pup. Problem solved.

rated:
ganda said:   
ocean935 said:   Coinstar? Only fools do that. Might as well throw the money in the trash.
Quite a few banks do it for free.

  
??? It's free with Coinstar if you take an Amazon credit, at least it was last time I did it.

If that is true, then mud on my face.

I was talking about the exorbitant commission they charge (and that's the money in the trash)

rated:
HorB said:   Twice this week I have been asked when handed my change at two different places, "Do you want the pennies?"

Is this a thing now?

I also know someone who throws his pennies in the trash when he empties his pockets at night.

I hope that isn't a thing now too.

throwing money in the trash must be the origin of "one man's trash is another man's treasure"  

rated:
ocean935 said:   Coinstar? Only fools do that. Might as well throw the money in the trash.
Quite a few banks do it for free.

  Not anymore they dont. We tried cashing in the kids piggy banks to put into their savings accounts at the same bank and were told they dont do that anymore and we needed to roll them up ourselves in the little paper rolls and bring them back...pssshh, aint nobody got time for that

rated:
Last time I was at BoA, they just had us put all the coins in a huge bag and they sent them off for counting.  No charge.

rated:
BMWLVR82 said:   ocean935 said:   Coinstar? Only fools do that. Might as well throw the money in the trash.
Quite a few banks do it for free.

  Not anymore they dont. We tried cashing in the kids piggy banks to put into their savings accounts at the same bank and were told they dont do that anymore and we needed to roll them up ourselves in the little paper rolls and bring them back...pssshh, aint nobody got time for that

Your kids do. I had to roll the coins up myself as a kid.

rated:
kamalktk said:   
BMWLVR82 said:   
ocean935 said:   Coinstar? Only fools do that. Might as well throw the money in the trash.
Quite a few banks do it for free.

  Not anymore they dont. We tried cashing in the kids piggy banks to put into their savings accounts at the same bank and were told they dont do that anymore and we needed to roll them up ourselves in the little paper rolls and bring them back...pssshh, aint nobody got time for that

Your kids do. I had to roll the coins up myself as a kid.

  
Roll them uphill, in the snow, only one shoe, coal dust for lunch...

BMWLVR82 - once a year the credit union my daughter's account is at does piggy bank matching (up to $20 IIRC) with the coin counting machine. You need to have them bank elsewhere

rated:
I try to just spend the change as I receive it. Another option would be to just redeem at a bank (I actually have access to two different banks offering this as a free service). Even if you don't have a bank account, its like 2-3%, which is far lower than 10.9% (last I checked) Coinstar charges. However, if you can't do any of the suggested, the Amazon giftcard isn't that bad of an idea, because your probably not even getting at least 2% credit card cashback anyways.

rated:
I, as well, used to spend the coins as I received them. Then I got lazy, and started emptying out my pockets at night and took only a few pennies the next day, just in case.
As the weeks went by, I never "missed" the small-change.
Come Thanksgiving, I decided to cash out the collected coins, thinking there might be some $50+ in there. My eyes almost popped out when I found how much was there.

Now I make a habit of doing it on purpose, and cash out every year in November.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017