• filter:

Broken strut mount nut and loose nuts for the old one

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hello folks,

Since I didn't want to mess with the Spring compressor of the suspension system, I got ready to mount assembly. While installing the passenger side strut, one of the bolts broke off. I installed the driver's side assembly with the same torque strength (20 ft lb), but they were fine, this one broke. The bolt seems to be either welded or press fixed.

Initially, I thought, I could just replace the bolt from the old one so took out the bolts from the old one, just one hammer and they came off. The new one won't budge so taking off bolts from the old assembly was a bad idea as I had to install the old one again but since I took the bolts off, two of the nuts are not tight, out of the 3. They are 'bound' but not tight. (I hope I am making sense). 

So I have two part question, 
- Can I drive a mile, with 2 right angle turns, to the mechanic with these loose nuts?
- If I should ask the mechanic to take the broken bolt off or just buy a new assembly and install? What is the better option financially? (as the whole idea of installing it myself was because we are on extremely tight  budget due to child's special needs)

The car is 2008 Altima.

Thanks for all comments in advance.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
TL;DR

rated:
Yes?

rated:
If you want loose nuts, you've come to the right place!

rated:
$50 versus a collapsed suspension on your car on the road.

Yeah call for a tow.

rated:
Time to buy a new car.

rated:
The only loose nut is the one behind the steering wheel.

rated:
Whenever there is anything to do with safety, leave it to the professionals and don't DIY. So the car needs to go to the mechanic.

Join AAA instead of calling a tow truck. It will cost you some fifty odd dollars for a one year membership.
You get 4 tows per year where the hookup and first 5 miles are covered.

rated:
damn topic alerts!

rated:
sublimosa said:   damn topic alerts!
eventually, you knew i would have to strut around with my loose nuts  

rated:
sublimosa said:   damn topic alerts!

Old, tired nuts and a failed mounting? M'kay.

rated:
strutting and mounting, you silly old man

rated:
@scrouds & @ocean935
Thanks for the useful advice.

I did call the mechanic for a tow and after I told him the details, he was like, no worries, you can drive very slowly and its less than a mile. His reasoning was, the strut top mounts are there to only fix the axis (and hence such low torque, as opposed to the rear struts that have more than double tightening toque). They will not fall off as the upward force from the axle will not let it fall. He was like, you won't believe how many come to me with a complaint of rattling and I notice a broken bolt. In your case, its not broken, just loose, so it will still hold the axis for a short distance if you don't do auto crossing. I fully trust this mechanic but this time I was hesitant so thought of asking to those who are better DIYer than me.

Anyways, I still got it towed to him yesterday.

rated:
Savyasachi said:   
I did call the mechanic for a tow and after I told him the details, he was like, no worries, you can drive very slowly and its less than a mile.

So after he said it was ok to drive, you spent money for a tow? That is not the FW way.

rated:
are you two related? i see a resemblance. and you have the same smile

(limo: they are using the same avatar)

rated:
Savyasachi said:   @scrouds & @ocean935
Thanks for the useful advice.

I did call the mechanic for a tow and after I told him the details, he was like, no worries, you can drive very slowly and its less than a mile. His reasoning was, the strut top mounts are there to only fix the axis (and hence such low torque, as opposed to the rear struts that have more than double tightening toque). They will not fall off as the upward force from the axle will not let it fall. He was like, you won't believe how many come to me with a complaint of rattling and I notice a broken bolt. In your case, its not broken, just loose, so it will still hold the axis for a short distance if you don't do auto crossing. I fully trust this mechanic but this time I was hesitant so thought of asking to those who are better DIYer than me.

That doesn't sound nearly as bad. I would have drove.

Actually I would have parked it, and warranteed the new assembly. I'm learning as I go on to spend the extra cash and get the better parts. Although when they wanted $180 extra for an oem water pump I bought a cheap one.

I did use bailing wire once to hold a rear brake together after spinning a bolt the wrong way and snapping it.

rated:
Loose nut in my head.
A bolt of lightening between my legs.
I can't think straight; my mind's a mess.
I only see straight when I'm being led.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017