• filter:

Why adult swim at pools but not at the beach?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Never quite understood the concept of having kids get out of the water for 15 minutes every hour at the local pool, but if that's the practice, why don't the life guards at the beach have a similar policy? 

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
It's a union thing.

rated:
You can watch the cartoons at poolside, but not in the ocean.

rated:
Life guard breaks?

Most community pools here have no life guards.

rated:
riznick said:   Most community pools here have no life guards.
  Don't imagine they could get insurance without them. Never seen a community or municipal pool without life guards. 

rated:
Life guard pee break

rated:
^
Close, the chlorine in the pool can't work continuously, it needs to "recharge" once per hour before the next flood of used SunnyD arrives.

rated:
atikovi said:   
  Don't imagine they could get insurance without them. Never seen a community or municipal pool without life guards. 

Me neither.  

rated:
atikovi said:   

I have, swam in one a couple of weeks ago.

rated:
everyone is THAT MUCH HOTTER at the beach than at the pool. so the incentive is to stay on the job and ogle. at the pool you just have kids in the pool, the lifeguard yelling "no running!" every 30 seconds, and parents staring at their smart phones

people at the beach are so hot, they made the show "baywatch" (and then a movie). what shows did they make about pool lifeguards? i rest my case

rated:
I dont get how the title is related to OP's post   

rated:
MommyOfHAndK said:   I dont get how the title is related to OP's post   

I don't think English is OP's first language. Some pools limit children to 45 minutes per hour, the other 15 minutes being adult (only) swim time. The grumpy old gits huff and puff for 45 minutes until the little shits get out of their pool.

rated:
ganda said:   
MommyOfHAndK said:   I dont get how the title is related to OP's post   

I don't think English is OP's first language. Some pools limit children to 45 minutes per hour, the other 15 minutes being adult (only) swim time. The grumpy old gits huff and puff for 45 minutes until the little shits get out of their pool.

Thanks! That's too funny!
I have never been at a pool that does this. Some indoor pools I know have designated hours each day for lap swim only 

rated:
Adult swim was always what they called it when I was guest passed at my friend's club in high school, so title makes sense to me even if OPs question does not as the beach is sort of limitless. Kids in your way? Move. Not so much if you want to actually swim in a pool.

rated:
sublimosa said:   Adult swim was always what they called it when I was guest passed at my friend's club in high school

But that's misleading, isn't it? Adult Only Swimming makes sense, otherwise it's no dunking, no splashing, no screaming, no fun.

Or NO CHILDREN BECAUSE WE'RE GRUMPY swim.

rated:
I'll be happy when the damn kids don't swim into my fishing line at the beach.

rated:
scrouds said:   I'll be happy when the damn kids don't swim into my fishing line at the beach.
Similarly, I'll be happy when the idiot guests from the $1100/night resort down the lake don't run over my line(taking my $15 Rapala lure & ~50-75 yards of mono) while I'm trolling for Northern Pike because they a)don't know how to pilot a boat and b)ignore/don't listen when I stand up and yell at them to get the hell away from my boat.

rated:
scrouds said:   I'll be happy when the damn kids don't swim into my fishing line at the beach.
Guess I will change the direction of this topic to something that drives me crazy but I am willing too listen to the other side.

Why the hell do people need to fish where there are hundreds of people swimming? Isn't the chum they bring to fish attract sharks?

Is there some sort of etiquette that I don't understand that should happen between swimmers and fisherman?

rated:
Haven't seen that yet, pretty stupid & thoughtless. Regardless of sharks or hooking a swimmer, I wouldn't fish there to begin with, simply because of the disturbance people would be causing.

I do see oblivious/obtuse/obnoxious people walking their dogs around non-swimmable former mill ponds where I fish letting the dogs jump in the water next to me, when it's pretty obvious I was there first and was fishing.

A lot of etiquette, civility, and common sense has been lost in our society.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   

A lot of etiquette, civility, and common sense has been lost in our society.

Sez you, jerk!  

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   
Guess I will change the direction of this topic to something that drives me crazy but I am willing too listen to the other side.

Why the hell do people need to fish where there are hundreds of people swimming? Isn't the chum they bring to fish attract sharks?

Is there some sort of etiquette that I don't understand that should happen between swimmers and fisherman?

Yeah, the etiquette is simple. For swimmers stay the hell away from my gear.

For fisherman, don't set up on busy beaches or pack up when the swimmers come. If you're still there by 10am you're asking for all the pain the swimmers put you through.

I will put it in pictures

rated:
My experience is weekends from 10-4, with thousands of beach goers and hundreds of swimmers. And usually there will be 2-3 fishers every 1/4 mile.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017