• filter:

Good Samaritan Law needed in Florida

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
‪Cocoa police recommend charges against teens they say taunted drowning man

http://www.wesh.com/article/video-shows-teens-heckling-laughing-...

These kids were not born when the last Seinfeld episode aired, but just goes to show that there are something intrinsically wrong wit some people.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I know what we need... More laws!

Ps Florida already has one. Florida statutes 763.13.

rated:
What we need is to encourage parents to beat the stupid out of their kids.

rated:
fasttimes said:   What we need is to encourage parents to beat the stupid out of their kids.
well, i'm conflicted. on the one hand, i agree. on the other hand, do i detect a trend?  

rated:
scrouds said:   I know what we need... More laws!

Ps Florida already has one. Florida statutes 763.13.

Yes, that only covers people who act in emergency situations, absolving liability if anything goes wrong. There is nothing to charge people who do nothing, or do not call someone for help.

According to the sheriff, all they can be charged with is not reporting a death, which is only a misdemeanor. And even then you could probably argue in defense that they couldn't see a dead body, so they could think that he swam underwater to a nearby shoreline where they didn't see him.

Since there is already a Good Samaritan law, then this one should be call Jerry's law.

rated:
I thought this was going to be about that winner who shot up the AT&T trucks, because, well, Florida.

rated:
"Cap my data and I bust a cap in yo truck" he might have said

rated:
Hialeah. The best of Miami. I know we talk about Florida man. And we all know what Florida is to the US. Well Florida's "Florida" is Miami. And you know what Miami's Florida is? Hialeah.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   
There is nothing to charge people who do nothing, or do not call someone for help.

so we need a law to make people call someone for help or do something? seems like a reach; not all human conditions need to be legislated.

rated:
miserly said:   MilleniumBuc said:   
There is nothing to charge people who do nothing, or do not call someone for help.

so we need a law to make people call someone for help or do something? seems like a reach; not all human conditions need to be legislated.

Well, if someone is hit on a road at 4 am, when there are less people around and someone sees it happen, shouldn't they be required to at least call 911, even if it doesn't help them survive based on time and type of injuries?

Now if it was one of your family members, and someone just watched them bleed to death, would that be ok?

I would like to think that no matter who it was, people should be responsible for reporting it in a timely manner. If someone doesn't say anything, then no one can prove you saw anything, so there is nothing to legislate, just between them and God.
But if you take the time to post it online live as it happens, then you should be found guilty of something, and definitely not a misdemeanor.

rated:
miserly said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   

You'd like to think we wouldn't need a law saying don't take a dump in a subway car, but....

rated:

rated:
ganda said:   
miserly said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   

You'd like to think we wouldn't need a law saying don't take a dump in a subway car, but....

there are laws already making that a crime in most places.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   
miserly said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   

Well, if someone is hit on a road at 4 am, when there are less people around and someone sees it happen, shouldn't they be required to at least call 911, even if it doesn't help them survive based on time and type of injuries?

Now if it was one of your family members, and someone just watched them bleed to death, would that be ok?

I would like to think that no matter who it was, people should be responsible for reporting it in a timely manner. If someone doesn't say anything, then no one can prove you saw anything, so there is nothing to legislate, just between them and God.
But if you take the time to post it online live as it happens, then you should be found guilty of something, and definitely not a misdemeanor.

so if there were a fender bender, i'd have to stop to make sure i don't break laws in case someone is hurt and i'm not breaking this proposed law. and if i miss it, i'm a criminal. you can't legislate away assholes.

rated:
I passed an accident on i4 the other day. Felt like stopping in the lane and getting out to see if the people in the other side were okay. Doubtful an ambulance would be needed for the accident but you never know.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   
miserly said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   

We don't need a law for this. The society, as a whole, needs to do better with learning morality, and in building empathy.
Even the best of us are conditioned to think it's funny when someone slips on a banana peel. It's not!

rated:
ocean, if you slip on a banana peel, i will laugh. if you slip on a banana peel and hit your head, i will not

in either case, i will probably not post it to youtube, FB, or whatever

rated:
I would laugh too, even at myself. That doesn't make it right though. It "seems" okay because we have been conditioned/brainwashed to consider it as such.

Posting what they recorded, and their whole conduct, is reprehensible. But to go deeper into the why of it, is to realize that increasingly people are becoming apathetic and numb to the pain and suffering of others. Too many "instant and violent deaths" are erased just by clicking the reset button. If anything, we need laws against such "games".

rated:

rated:
ocean935 said:   I would laugh too, even at myself. That doesn't make it right though. It "seems" okay because we have been conditioned/brainwashed to consider it as such.

Posting what they recorded, and their whole conduct, is reprehensible. But to go deeper into the why of it, is to realize that increasingly people are becoming apathetic and numb to the pain and suffering of others. Too many "instant and violent deaths" are erased just by clicking the reset button. If anything, we need laws against such "games".

Let's outlaw fiction, too.  I've seen Hamlet a few times, and read it dozens of times.  This dude kills his brother to get with his sister-in-law every time.  Better outlaw thought while we're at it, I'm unlikely to forget that story after all the copies are destroyed and I might just run through it in my imagination.  Or (and this is the really scary part) I might just have some original double plus ungood thoughts of my own!  

rated:
Thought I posted this, but I didn't.

Those "teens" as the article calls them will be in jail soon enough. Thug culture is a pox on our nation.

I can give you ways to fix but it probably wades too far into politics for this thread.

rated:
BTW, if it is required, you would not be a good samaritan. you'd just be a samaritan because you'd be required by law to stop and do something in fear of legal repurcussions.

rated:
Woman named Michelle Carter was convicted of manslaughter here in Mass last month after texting/verbally pushing her boyfriend to commit suicide. He was scared and about to get out of his truck and away from the CO2, but she relentlessly taunted him into getting back in and finishing it. Charge should have been 2nd degree murder. Fortunately for the prosecution, she later confessed to a friend over text. Pure evil.

Hopefully this sets a precedent and more people like her and the a-holes in FL are convicted if they commit the same/similar crimes.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   Woman named Michelle Carter was convicted of manslaughter here in Mass last month after texting/verbally pushing her boyfriend to commit suicide. He was scared and about to get out of his truck and away from the CO2, but she relentlessly taunted him into getting back in and finishing it. Charge should have been 2nd degree murder. Fortunately for the prosecution, she later confessed to a friend over text. Pure evil.

Hopefully this sets a precedent and more people like her and the a-holes in FL are convicted if they commit the same/similar crimes.

There's a fine line, nah there's a large wall between passively doing nothing to help and actively doing something to cause someone's death.

rated:
some people just don't care. the kids showed no remorse for what happened. i don't know how they were raised, but for some reason i feel i would do *something* to help, even if i absolutely hated the person. one of the things they could do is call the cops. the smart phone does more than "smart" things. "phone" is in the name

here's another one that didn't care...and she killed her sister

"I killed my sister, but I don't care..."

rated:
THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
For a long time we have gone along with some well-tested principles of conduct: that it was better to tell the truth than falsehoods; that a half-truth
was no truth at all; that duties were older than and as fundamental as rights; that, as Justice Holmes put it, the mode by which the inevitable came to
pass was effort; that to perpetuate a harm was always wrong, no matter how many joined in it, but to perpetuate it on a weaker person was particularly
detestable ... Our institutions are founded on the assumption that most people will follow these principles most of the time because they want to, and
the institutions work pretty well when this assumption is true. -Dean Acheson, statesman and lawyer (1893-1971)

rated:
Fake quote. SAD!

rated:
It can't be fake! I cut and copied it myself from the Internets!

rated:
"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   
ocean935 said:   I would laugh too, even at myself. That doesn't make it right though. It "seems" okay because we have been conditioned/brainwashed to consider it as such.

Let's outlaw fiction, too.  I've seen Hamlet a few times, and read it dozens of times.  This dude kills his brother to get with his sister-in-law every time.  Better outlaw thought while we're at it, I'm unlikely to forget that story after all the copies are destroyed and I might just run through it in my imagination.  Or (and this is the really scary part) I might just have some original double plus ungood thoughts of my own!  

Get off your high horse and think about what I said. Nobody is suggesting a ban, even though that's a good idea for some of these "games". What is required is some kind of enforcement of the usage of these "games" based on their ratings and age-appropriateness, preferably at the home/family level.

rated:
scrouds said:   
mapatsfan said:   Woman named Michelle Carter was convicted of manslaughter here in Mass last month after texting/verbally pushing her boyfriend to commit suicide. He was scared and about to get out of his truck and away from the CO2, but she relentlessly taunted him into getting back in and finishing it. Charge should have been 2nd degree murder. Fortunately for the prosecution, she later confessed to a friend over text. Pure evil.

There's a fine line, nah there's a large wall between passively doing nothing to help and actively doing something to cause someone's death.

I agree there's a wall between doing nothing and actively doing something.  Michelle Carter started on the same side of the wall as her boyfriend and caused his death.  Those clowns in FL jumped over that wall, but stayed at the base.  They should do time for their actions & stupidity, we'll be safer if they're not in society for some period of time.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017