• filter:

TIME magazine article: Why the Death of Malls Is About More Than Shopping

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Even as a kid I never felt comfortable enough to enjoy being in a shopping mall.  Most of the stores there didn't have anything I need from them.  I still feel that way.

link

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
"I have no respect for people with no shopping agenda"

The mall near me is expanding and booming. I go there as little as possible, normally just for the LEGO store, which is by an entrance so I can GTFO and avoid the chaos. How people can wander around malls seeing if they can find something to buy befuddles me. If you need some socks, buy some socks, then leave

rated:
I have a friend who's thought process is that as soon as he finds the thing he came looking for, he grabs it and then thinks that the store is on fire so pay for the item and GTFO.  He claims that he never buys anything on an impulse. 

rated:
I think the interpretation that all malls are dying is incorrect. Some malls will die while new ones get built and others expand and some stay the same.
Many retail destinations have adapted beyond malls.

rated:
Quite a few new malls here while old one are being torn down and turned into housing units.

The new malls follow a similar format; movie theater, public gathering area, and brew pubs.

rated:
Eh.. there are daily buses that bring international tourists from airports to Woodbury Commons mall. A mall that is 60 miles away from JFK/LGA. A bus survice that's provided by the malls.
I'm sure malls are profitable enough to support the said bus service.
I'm sure it is. I've been there enough times.. and I've seen enough international tourists filling up bags which they buy from the Samsonite store.. and using that bag to store their purchases.

rated:
Take this mall and shove it. I ain't shopping here no more.

rated:
KayK said:   Eh.. there are daily buses that bring international tourists from airports to Woodbury Commons mall. A mall that is 60 miles away from JFK/LGA. A bus survice that's provided by the malls.
I'm sure malls are profitable enough to support the said bus service.
I'm sure it is. I've been there enough times.. and I've seen enough international tourists filling up bags which they buy from the Samsonite store.. and using that bag to store their purchases.

"mall"

National mall in DC is popular too

rated:
The local mall was recently sold and is supposedly going to be improved right away by the new investors. It's in a great location right off the freeway, but it is old and tired and hasn't been maintained very well. Plus they opened a WalMart in the mall, which really brings down the image and perception of quality for the entire mall. Over the years there has been a mass exodus of mall stores I did shop in, with replacement stores never before heard of and often never seen again when they closed.

rated:
It's not like people don't shop anymore. There are shopping streets in many European cities, with stores in all directions. I haven't seen them dying. I've been to the Dubai Mall. The world's biggest. Very busy, but that's a unique case.

But there are too many malls. There's a group of shopping malls about 10 miles from me called Westfield Topanga, Westfield Village and Westfield Promenade. Quite a few years ago Westfield Topanga was enlarged, and a couple years ago Westfield Village (an open air mall) opened. They still seem to be doing OK, but those malls sucked all the air out of Westfield Promenade. I can't believe that place is still open, as it's almost entirely vacant and unkept. When McDonald's closed, I knew the end will be coming, but just not yet.

rated:
burgerwars said:   But there are too many malls. 
  There are too many shoe and clothing stores in the mall. I'd guess close to 85% of the stores sell just that. What's the point? How many different pants or shirts are there that you need so many of those stores, not to mention that most of them are empty of shoppers. Need some auto parts stores in the mall to attract new customers.

rated:
ablang said:   Even as a kid I never felt comfortable enough to enjoy being in a shopping mall.  Most of the stores there didn't have anything I need from them.  I still feel that way.
But malls are indoors and air conditioned, and that's what matters most.

rated:
TIME is sometimes dead-on, such as when their "person" of the year for 1982 was the computer.  On the other hand they proclaimed Arsenio Hall to be Johnny Carson's successor as America's most important talk show host.

rated:
miserly said:   I think the interpretation that all malls are dying is incorrect. Some malls will die while new ones get built and others expand and some stay the same.
How many new malls have been built in the past 5 years?  This CBS News report from 2014 said only 2 enclosed malls had been built since 2006.

rated:
larrymoencurly said:   
miserly said:   I think the interpretation that all malls are dying is incorrect. Some malls will die while new ones get built and others expand and some stay the same.
How many new malls have been built in the past 5 years?  This CBS News report from 2014 said only 2 enclosed malls had been built since 2006.

How many times has a man been on the moon since 2006? Zero. Because it's so expensive. And only 2 malls have been built because land is so much more expensive near where the population draw would come from, not to mention the building costs. Renovation and expansion is more feasible. 

rated:
atikovi said:   burgerwars said:   But there are too many malls. 
  There are too many shoe and clothing stores in the mall. I'd guess close to 85% of the stores sell just that. What's the point? How many different pants or shirts are there that you need so many of those stores, not to mention that most of them are empty of shops.

"No shoes, no shirt, no pants, no service"

And think I am certain that 98% of people want some servicing.

rated:
If the shopping malls didn't exist, where else would senior citizens be able to power walk?

rated:
atikovi said:   larrymoencurly said:   

How many times has a man been on the moon since 2006? Zero. Because it's so expensive. And only 2 malls have been built because land is so much more expensive near where the population draw would come from, not to mention the building costs. Renovation and expansion is more feasible. 

I can't speak for the rest of the nation, but the popular shopping complex to build right now in the Orlando exurbs are town center style shopping areas with strips of stores and large box stores inside a large parking area.

rated:
Our local mall just tore down the Sears and is replacing it with an Orchard supply hardware. A few miles away from another one they are building. They're really pushing this new market hard.

rated:
ablang said:   Even as a kid I never felt comfortable enough to enjoy being in a shopping mall.  Most of the stores there didn't have anything I need from them.  I still feel that way.

link

About 20 years ago I was walking in a mall and passed a mother and her boy walking the other way and next to us was a tiny carpeted area with a few benches.  The kids eyes lit up and he made this exited guttural growl.  The mother said, "no sweetie, you want the bigger one."  She was of course referring to the carpeted stepped, pit-of-fun.

thats what malls are good for.  And perverts taking up-skirt photos.

rated:
fasttimes said:   ablang said:   Even as a kid I never felt comfortable enough to enjoy being in a shopping mall.  Most of the stores there didn't have anything I need from them.  I still feel that way.

link

About 20 years ago I was walking in a mall and passed a mother and her boy walking the other way and next to us was a tiny carpeted area with a few benches.  The kids eyes lit up and he made this exited guttural growl.  The mother said, "no sweetie, you want the bigger one."  She was of course referring to the carpeted stepped, pit-of-fun.

thats what malls are good for.  And perverts taking up-skirt photos.

What is this up-skirt thing? Is this something you participate in?

rated:
Went out for dinner at the mall, Westfield Bethesda MD, and the place was packed especially around the food court. Teens to seniors and everyone in between. They did a major reno a year ago expanding the food court and adding an Arclight theater. It helps that it’s the only large mall left down county since the White Flint mall, 3 miles away, was torn down 2 years ago, Did notice a lot more boarded up stores compared to a year ago but that’s with maybe 150-200 total. And Sears seems to be doing fine here. Got to wonder how much the rent on even a small unit costs and how some of the places stay in business. Some of the shoe stores had no shoppers inside at all. Even Victoria’s Secret only had a half dozen people (what I could see from the outside).

rated:
atikovi said:   
larrymoencurly said:   

But look at how many "power centers" have been built since then, sometimes by tearing down a mall and building over it.  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017