• filter:

Car Paint Advice Solicited UPDATED 7/31 with amateur results!

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
My beloved '11 Durango has rust spots on the leading edges of all four doors.  The close-up picture is of the biggest one, maybe 2 inches long.  The other three spots are much smaller.  Should I take it to a Body Shop?  I imagine they'll tell me they need to paint all four doors.  That's not in the budget.  Maybe they wouldn't say that.  I DO love this car and want to keep it a long time, and keep it nice.  But I'm not unhandy and can follow a y0utube video like anybody.  I think I could handle going the DIY route and accepting a result that you'd notice only on close inspection.  Any of you motorheads ever do this kind of repair?  What can I expect?

The third pic, I stood up from taking that low pic and there was a baby robin sitting between the rear view and the window.  

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I am more interested in why you're wearing Hiawatha's skirt in pic #3.

Modern car bodies are pretty corrosion resistant. I dinged our then-new family daily driver ~9 years ago (worse than yours) and beyond the surface rust it never spread. That car is on death row for other reasons now, the body is still sound.

rated:
Kandykornhead said:    I think I could handle going the DIY route and accepting a result that you'd notice only on close inspection.  
  You can spot poor paintwork done at a BodyShop from far away. A DIY job would be much more noticeable. And I thought newer models would have at least 6  or 7 years on the corrosion warranty but apparently not with Chrysler. 

rated:
Looked at the pics close up. Assumed you were going to respray all the doors. If that is all, take off the rust with a wire wheel or sandpaper drum in a Dremel, then go over it with a touch-up bottle brush.

rated:
maaco or others offer super cheap paint jobs. they may not last long or look great, but they will cover the car in a single color.
my sense is that painting partials on a car is very difficult unless you can match the paint EXACTLY. otherwise, it may look worse than when you started.

rated:
I would just hit it with rustoleum, but I'm ghetto like that. I know it will look like shit.

rated:
This is the way I did it...

- fine sand it, #200 wet or dry grit
- touch up paint by hand
- feather spray some clearcoat

about $20

rated:
atikovi said:   
Kandykornhead said:    I think I could handle going the DIY route and accepting a result that you'd notice only on close inspection.  
  You can spot poor paintwork done at a BodyShop from far away. A DIY job would be much more noticeable. And I thought newer models would have at least 6  or 7 years on the corrosion warranty but apparently not with Chrysler. 

I did look it up, 4 years or 100k  

rated:
Unfortunately Chrysler and Dodge products are really prone to rust. Fortunate you only have it in that one spot so far. I would sand and coat it with some Navel Jelly (Duro or Loctite) first before painting. Some vids are online to view if you do a search.

Unfortunately you will never stop rust (Rust Never Sleeps) and might eventually go the duct tape route depending on how bad it gets over time. Just make it look like one big duct tape racing stripe. Duct tape comes in some wild and rad colors now.

rated:
Take the doors off & drive it like a Jeep

rated:
That'll buff right out.

rated:
Run through some fresh tar.

Run through freshly painted yellow lines.

rated:
Crown Vic!

I got a "exact match pen" from Amaz0n and I'll sand, rust inhibitor, paint, and clear coat just the individual spots. I'll post pics when done so you can see how sucky it looks.

rated:
ganda said:   I am more interested in why you're wearing Hiawatha's skirt in pic #3.


 

  It's a kilt.  On my way to a Burns supper.  

Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies

rated:
just throw it away and get a new Kia

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   
ganda said:   I am more interested in why you're wearing Hiawatha's skirt in pic #3.


 

  It's a kilt.  On my way to a Burns supper.  

Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies

  
Sorry, I don't speak Mel Gibson. I can wear wear my clan's tartan (although I don't), ye cannae?

rated:
gibson's kilt was also period-incorrect. then again, he who gets history from hollywood is in for a wee bit o' disappointment

rated:
Might want to check local Junkyards for a door.

www.car-parts.com might help you find a local one who has it.

rated:
So here's the result.  The color match is perfect.  The result to me looks like a blotch of Mopar Blackberry Pearl instead of a blotch of rust.  Hopefully it also retards the spread of the rust spots.  I'd do it again.  

Edit: on the second pic note the blotch of white paint transfer or bird poop or whatever.  That's not the rust spot.  The rust spot is to the right of that.

rated:
But what about the giant crack running half way up the door in that first shot???

rated:
Connman said:   But what about the giant crack running half way up the door in that first shot???
Not sure if you are serious or messing with him, but that's the reflection of the crack in the pavement.

rated:
That's about the same result I got. It's been years now and the hack job had prevent rusts and from a (long) distance, one can't even tell.

rated:
like anything else in life, including spouses, don't look too closely as you may not like what you see

rated:
nice!
Have you considered door edge guards? For my car there are metal edge guards that clip on (not the vinyl ones that stick on, then fall off later) and are shaped for the doors.

rated:
miserly said:   like anything else in life, including spouses, don't look too closely as you may not like what you see
  Poon in HD is over rated, roger roger

rated:
kirbydog said:   nice!
Have you considered door edge guards? For my car there are metal edge guards that clip on (not the vinyl ones that stick on, then fall off later) and are shaped for the doors.

  Don't think I've ever seen them for the front edge of car doors, just the rear - to protect when you open your door (and someone was inconsiderate enough to leave something in the way of your door opening).

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017