• filter:

UPSET: 1999 Camry mechanic worked on the car and engine through a rod

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
HELP... we took our 1999 Camry 99,000 (in great condition) to a mechanic in Cathedral City to replace an 02 Sensor and clean the Mass Air flow filter and change the oil.. he charged us $750 (got ripped off) and within 12 minutes
of driving my car through a rod and broke the engine.. there was OIL EVERYWHERE AND LEAKING.. no lights came on while I was driving but it was only 6 miles to my destination.  I called the mechanic and he refused my request for a refund and was verbally abusive .  I called BAR and they are coming out to assess the car.  We have had no problem with this car in the 17 years we had it until now.... my questions are... should I pursue this in small claims court and or replace the engine, or put an ad in a classified or Craiglist for sale.. I know there are a lot of people who could buy this car and fix it and sell it for good money.. we could have used the car for a trade in at some point (Blue Book value is between $1,3000 and up) or driven the car for another 100,000 miles.  What should I do?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
#1: The car threw a rod. It didn't through a rod.
#2: O2 sensor has nothing to do with throwing a rod. Unless the mechanic drove the car over a cliff while changing the sensor, the two are unrelated.
#3: Your 18 year old car with 100k on it isn't worth $13000. I think you're trying to sneak in an extra zero.
#4: You created a new account on a hot deals site to ask this question?

rated:
As a former 99 Camry CE owner, I am surprised that the blue book value is 1300. We traded it in in 2011 at 150,000 miles and the blue book value then was 2500, with new tires and 1500 work on the struts and suspension.

At that time, it was burning through a quart of oil every 1000 driven miles, with electrical problems. I are at the time where you are throwing good money after bad. Just sell as is on Craigslist for 500-800.

rated:
Sorry meant "Threw" a rod..  What I was trying to say was when the mechanic changed the oil he must have not secured this and the oil leaked all over the engine and threw a rod.. I am trying to post on a site where I can get
feedback... sorry.. where should I be posting?  I need to know what I should do.. whether sell the car on Craiglist, or junk yard, or go after the car repair place.  

rated:
Thank you for your reply... What wording should I use to place the ad on Craiglist?   It pains me to give up the car, it is in perfect condition.... I am so disgusted with the mechanic... Obviously when he changed the oil is was not
secured in place and leaked all over the engine and threw a rod...

rated:
If the rod broke the block, there will be oil leaking from the engine.

If there was no oil anywhere, and the mechanic forgot to put it in, then you might have something. But you don't because there's oil.

rated:
rosedame said:   Thank you for your reply... What wording should I use to place the ad on Craiglist?   It pains me to give up the car, it is in perfect condition.... I am so disgusted with the mechanic... Obviously when he changed the oil is was not
secured in place and leaked all over the engine and threw a rod...

Don't give up the car, put a new engine in it.

rated:
rosedame said:     It pains me to give up the car, it is in perfect condition....

An 18 year old car in 'prefect condition"?
I don't think so.....

rated:
woowoo2 said:   rosedame said:     It pains me to give up the car, it is in perfect condition....

An 18 year old car in 'prefect condition"?
I don't think so.....

Now you've made the car upset.

rated:
I'm amazed that this has been posted over 2 hours & nobody has told you to sell it & buy a Crown Vic yet

rated:
All hail inanimate carbon rod!

/ in rod we trust

rated:
what's with a new account just to post this? is this how AI learn to deal with people?
if so, donkey beer, regurgitate, reflex 24 ragged hunting dirt veg out mustang this!

rated:
No there is no oil at all in engine. it all came out.. it was bone dry after it threw the rod... all the oil was on the pavement...

rated:
You think I should replace the engine?  it only has 99,000 miles and otherwise in great condition.. everyone is telling me to trash it... or should I post on Craigslist for mechanic to buy for about $1,000?

rated:
This is why I check the oil dip stick even before starting the engine.  

This should be a pretty easy claim to win.

rated:
kamalktk said:   All hail inanimate carbon rod!

/ in rod we trust

Are you a mathematician, a different kind of mathematician, or a statistician?

rated:
rosedame said:   No there is no oil at all in engine. it all came out.. it was bone dry after it threw the rod... all the oil was on the pavement...
Why did you let all the oil out?

rated:
scrouds said:   
rosedame said:   No there is no oil at all in engine. it all came out.. it was bone dry after it threw the rod... all the oil was on the pavement...
Why did you let the dogs out?

To fetch the bone.  

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   scrouds said:   
Why did you let the dogs out?

To fetch the bone.  

At $1k for an engine and another $1k to install, that's an expensive bone.

rated:
scrouds said:   At $1k for an engine and another $1k to install, that's an expensive bone.
Not for a car that's in "great condition" and worth $1,3000... 

OP is the only one that knows if it's worth it to OP.

At least there's no rust on the doors...that would be hard to get past!

rated:
that's a lot of oil to leave an engine. did you go back the way you came and actually see oil on the road? do you have proof that he didn't put oil in?

perhaps the oil filter wasn't tight enough and it came out somehow? sometimes if you remove one oil filter, the gasket is left on the engine...then when putting a new filter, it has 2 gaskets. THEN, when the pressure comes up on the engine, the oil will spray out. another possibility is stripping the plug into the pan, and then it coming out that way somehow.

either way, there will be signs.

BUT, if no lights came on, then the car wasn't in perfect condition. my mustang has almost 200k miles, and all the lights come on at the appropriate time, gauges work, etc...and it's about average condition.

you'll have to find out what BAR says and go from there. you might have a case, or you might not. as for asking legal questions on a deals site...you might be better off asking at a legal site. we do deals here, and joke around, general banter, and stuff like that. someone with legal knowledge might pop in here and there, but i wouldn't wait around for that. if you ask at a legal site, you'll have 5 answers about law. ask here, you'll have questions about your shoes, why you seized the engine, and people telling you to buy a crown vic

good luck

rated:
rosedame said:   You think I should replace the engine?  it only has 99,000 miles and otherwise in great condition.. everyone is telling me to trash it... or should I post on Craigslist for mechanic to buy for about $1,000?
Apart from "the rest of the car", it was your engine that had 99K miles on it, was taken good care of, and was in perfect condition. What are you going to replace it with?

rated:
rosedame said:    It pains me to give up the car, it is in perfect condition.
  No, the car WAS in perfect condition.

rated:
Threw a rod over oil? Nah, Froze the entire engine like a BMW M3...maybe. But throwing a rod usually implies either (broken rod) or mechanic opened up the top and fiddled with the valves wrong.

I'm shocked this is in OT instead of Finance.

rated:
As a 99 Camry LE owner, I'd never spend $750 on replacing the O2 sensor (<$50 part and fairly easy to replace), Mass Airflow sensor (<$30 part and super easy to replace) and oil change (<$35 for Full Synthetic and Mobile1 filter).  Total parts around $100 and if I wasn't doing it myself which I do all the time then paying an inde mechanic would be about one hour and a half ($125) worth of labor.  If the mechanic says that it will take him more than an hour and half then you've got to question their abilities.  BTW I put the fair market value of my Camry at around $1k. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017