• filter:

Slamming someone on Yelp is one thing, but Slamming them on National TV can cost you $1 million

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/courts/2017/07/31/bride-groom-sl...
Couple didn't pay for the $125 cover fee for their wedding photos and went on national TV to slam the photographer, who stopped getting customers.

Jury awards $1.08 million.

I wonder how much that photog will eventually get once the bloggers pull the old BK scenario.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
It was brought up that they also clicked "like" on negative reviews, in the case against them.

I've noticed people getting in trouble in other cases in Europe and Australia for hitting "like". Someone was even jailed in Asia for hitting "like" on something. Anyhow, be careful what you hit "like" on. It's not much of a big deal here yet, and it's too early to tell, but the trend might be moving in that direction.

rated:
^green for riznick. Please don't sue me.

rated:
I am Lame

Neilium is the best mod

rated:
KayK said:   I am Lame

Neilium is the best mod

AWWWW

rated:
What if you slam them on FWOT?

rated:
i slam Microsoft, google, and facebook on FWOT all the time. i am just waiting for the morecowbell effect to kick in

rated:
couldn't you just pardon yourself?

rated:
The story I heard on the radio today sound more sympathetic to the photographer.

Here's the WA Post version of it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2017/08/01/they-trashed-their-wedding-photographer-over-a-125-fee-so-a-jury-told-them-to-pay-her-1-million/?utm_term=.010fc5202e42

Also, for those of you who want the freedom to post legit service/product review, please support Anti-SLAPP law in your state

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

rated:
riznick said:   It was brought up that they also clicked "like" on negative reviews, in the case against them.

I've noticed people getting in trouble in other cases in Europe and Australia for hitting "like". Someone was even jailed in Asia for hitting "like" on something. Anyhow, be careful what you hit "like" on. It's not much of a big deal here yet, and it's too early to tell, but the trend might be moving in that direction.

Reading the new link posted I think the 'Like' on negative reviews wasn't what swayed the jury it was posts like
“We are hoping that our story makes the news and completely ruins her business,” Neely Moldovan wrote to someone the same day, according to court records.
That probably convinced them.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   

Reading the new link posted I think the 'Like' on negative reviews wasn't what swayed the jury it was posts like
“We are hoping that our story makes the news and completely ruins her business,” Neely Moldovan wrote to someone the same day, according to court records.

i don't see how people can be so hateful. i know people that i don't like, at all, and i don't wish ill things like that upon them. and even if so, it would be for doing something terrible to me personally, and not for $125

weddings are expensive. i don't see $125 as that bad, considering the context

rated:
I hope this photog eventually gets some money from this Bridezilla. What a b.

rated:
morecowbell said:   
forbin4040 said:   

i don't see how people can be so hateful. i know people that i don't like, at all, and i don't wish ill things like that upon them. and even if so, it would be for doing something terrible to me personally, and not for $125

I can think of at least a million reasons not to behave that way.

rated:
i can see their future! a divorce! ...for...monetary reasons!

rated:
morecowbell said:   i don't see how people can be so hateful. i know people that i don't like, at all, and i don't wish ill things like that upon them. and even if so, it would be for doing something terrible to me personally, and not for $125

Considering we have a thread there a guy is willing to go to court 50 miles away just because he didn't want to mow his lawn because the notice wasn't 100% proper?

I can see why they thought they could 'get away' with shaming a person until they got the $125 discount.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Considering we have a thread there a guy is willing to go to court 50 miles away just because he didn't want to mow his lawn because the notice wasn't 100% proper?The hearing was supposed to be 7/27 or 7/28. I wonder what the outcome was?

rated:
ryeny3 said:     I can think of at least a million reasons not to behave that way.
The main one: defamation of character is a crime. You can legally say mean things about someone, as long as they're 100% true. When you start spreading lies that cause them actual harm, you're breaking the law. 

rated:
Can one defame themselves?

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   Can one defame themselves?
  Give it a shot.

rated:
  It's called twitter.  

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   
  It's called twitter.  

sometimes one looks silly using it. but sometimes there's a lot of truth exposed that may not get out otherwise  

rated:
morecowbell said:   sometimes one looks silly using it. but sometimes there's a lot of truth exposed that may not get out otherwise  
  The Truth

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   
morecowbell said:   sometimes one looks silly using it. but sometimes there's a lot of truth exposed that may not get out otherwise  
  The Truth

i know who you don't like, but i am greatly displeased with many in that line of work. there may be a lightning rod, but there's absolute ridiculousness all around  

rated:
Oh, yes, the they are all equally bad argument.

rated:
Getting the judgment is one thing. Getting the money is another. I wonder how much the couple has spent on attorney's fees. The lawyer representing the photographer are probably doing so on commission or possibly free family photos for life.

The photographer should just change her business name.

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   MilleniumBuc said:   Can one defame themselves?
  Give it a shot.

That MillenniumBuc is an analphabet. can't even spell his name right. I know he loves Hitler.

rated:
moonbeam said:   ryeny3 said:     I can think of at least a million reasons not to behave that way.
The main one: defamation of character is a crime. You can legally say mean things about someone, as long as they're 100% true. When you start spreading lies that cause them actual harm, you're breaking the law. 

Once again the facts make the story less spectacular. There is no suppression of opinions, it's when you lie to defame that is a crime. I left a pretty poor review for a heating contractor once on yelp. I made sure it was all facts and any opinion was noted as such. He responded via private message that I was hurting his family.

rated:
OP, please change title "Slamming someone on Yelp is one thing, but Lying about them on National TV can cost you $1 million"

rated:
miserly said:   OP, please change title "Slamming someone on Yelp is one thing, but Lying about them on National TV can cost you $1 million"
  You should leave OP a FWOTYelp review.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017