• filter:

Has a commercial ever convinced you to buy something?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Yes, I have an "ove glove" oven mitt, as seen on tv. It even works as advertised.

rated:
I don't watch TV commercials, but I do notice print ads. Last ad induced purchase was a Wendy's Bacon Queso burger, and it was not good.

Thinking more, it's normally low cost stuff like food that I'll try if it's advertised at me. Who buys cars etc based on TV ads? Ooooh, Tiger Woods is advertising Buicks, I'll get me one of those (and pass out drunk at the wheel)

rated:
commercial ? what's that ??? 

_ I got rid of my TV over 10 years ago

_ before that [remember VCR ?  ]:
I taped what I wanted to watch [news, movies ,... ]  and always far-forwarded these things that you call "commercials"

We listen to the radio and I try to turn down the sound fast when these evil things come-up

rated:
Badminton - no longer pc; nothing bad about it. Now goodminton...

rated:
mikebeets said:   _ I got rid of my TV over 10 years ago

_ before that [remember VCR ?  ]:

I just upgraded to a VCR.  When I was very young my father bought a reel-to-reel Panasonic video recorder that used 1/4" wide tape and courd record 15 minutes of black&white video.  He recorded all the Watergate hearings with it 'cause he was C-SPAN before C-SPAN.

rated:
I love Geico commercials. But won't switch because of them.
Here's the commercial I just don't get at all:

rated:
Once I spilled blue liquid all over the floor. Those ads I saw told me exactly what to buy to clean it up.

rated:
Lately I've been digging up supermarket commercials from late 80's and get a chuckle that a carton of dz eggs were 99cents back then and they're still 99cents, when on sale; 30 years later.  Oh and in 1988 the Honda Accord was going for about $17k.

rated:
Food has gotten cheaper. I saw a publix ad from 1941,and when you rub the cpi numbers the sale prices are more like today's regular prices.

rated:
scrouds said:   Once I spilled blue liquid all over the floor. Those ads I saw told me exactly what to buy to clean it up.

You got your monthly and you knew which tampon was the most absorbent from the commercials?

rated:
I bought a NuWave induction cooker because of the commercials & I really like it.

rated:
sublimosa said:   scrouds said:   Once I spilled blue liquid all over the floor. Those ads I saw told me exactly what to buy to clean it up.

You got your monthly and you knew which tampon was the most absorbent from the commercials?

Monthly? I really try to not spill the blue Kool aid, that was an expensive cleanup.

rated:
Back in 1996, these Nissan commercials featuring GI Joe, Barbie, and Ken:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QKK5IDSXE

(Van Halen version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuoUD9fOk5U

(KISS version)

Convinced me to not buy a Ken outfit for Comic-Con

rated:
Mom has a George Foreman Grill.

rated:
ach1199 said:   ... late 80's and get a chuckle that a carton of dz eggs were 99cents back then and they're still 99cents, when on sale ...
  bought them for 48 cts at Aldi

rated:

rated:
How can you talk about commercials without mentioning "Martha White" founded in 1899 ?

"The Martha White brand is probably most associated with its long-term sponsorship of the Grand Ole Opry, ... relationship began in 1948, and has existed continuously since then, making it one of the longest continually running radio show sponsorships known." [WIKI]

10 DVDs of the "Flatt and Scruggs TV series", most from the 1960's, includes the original commercials for "Martha White and Pet milk", with the cooking tips for biscuits, cornbread, ... etc
The announcer introduced the products, and the woman showing you all the cooking tips barely spoke a word. 
She just smiled, in her perfect prim outfit. with her perfect housewife smile.
[YOUTUBE has some - 40 commercials total are on the DVDs]

tube
/watch?v=4fGGfo1g3EA

In a very rare gesture of generosity from the label, I received 10 free copies.
To me, this was all new, and an interesting glimpse of what TV commercials were in the US in the late 50's - early 60's

rated:
While I do enjoy watching the more clever commercials, NO have not bought anything because I saw it advertised.
I also would never ASK my Doctor about some drug commercial I see on TV either. I am really sick of seeing all the stuff the drug outfits push on people for conditions they invented just to sell a cure or a shot for it.

rated:
george2001 said:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Z264w9_2Q

can it core a apple?  

rated:
MommyOfHAndK said:   Badminton - no longer pc; nothing bad about it. Now goodminton...
  What do you think of Hoover Dam?

rated:
Random thought: while I would like to think I have never bought anything because I saw it advertised, the truth is a little bit different.
I have not been influenced by an ad.
But I have seen ads and been reminded of what I needed or wanted to buy.

It's a variation of the FW effect: "I don't need it, but in4one". Sound familiar?

rated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0YzunWoLsY

They are right, my feet are far away. Hmmm.

rated:
There is a whole forum devoted to the most hated commercials at: http://www.commercialsihate.com/commercials-you-hate_forum1.html

rated:
I still have a Utica Club beer jingle from the early 60's stuck in my head.

rated:
ocean935 said:   I have not been influenced by an ad.
But I have seen ads and been reminded of what I needed or wanted to buy.

It would have been tragic if you had forgotten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcshLv9HbHQ

rated:
You just know you need a Hosie Cow when David Letterman dedicates an entire Top 10 to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Kp3pk5C6Q

rated:
The seeds of advertising are planted and they grow.

Before when I watched regular television, I would go see movies every now and then. When I cut the cord and cut the advertising, I also stopped movies. I just don't know what's out there and don't care to find out for myself.

rated:
commercials convinced me that i need to call a doctor if the "medication" causes a situation where i am "active" for over 4 hours

rated:
morecowbell said:   commercials convinced me that i need to call a doctor if the "medication" causes a situation where i am "active" for over 4 hours
You just called the doctor? I called EVERYONE!

rated:
well, i called guinness book

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017