• filter:

Request for Info: Paying for a Package from Canada to USA via UPS (or Fedex)

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I am sending some documents to Canada and then I need to get them back after the paperwork is done. Sending is easy, but, rather annoyingly, the recipient in Canada insists on my providing a prepaid shipping label for sending the documents back, instead of shipping it themselves and billing me for the cost. At first, this seemed as easy as going to the shipping form on UPS.com, entering the Canadian address as the from address and my address in the USA as the to address. But when I spoke to a UPS CSR, she said I should use the UPS Import Control shipping option. Then I also found the Create a Return option on UPS.com which sounds relevant. Now I am confused. Which is the best way to do what I need to do? My Google searches did not yield any significant info. The rates for these options are similar, but Import Control and Returns are billed to my account to be paid later while a regular shipping label is paid for upfront.

If I do go ahead and just purchase a UPS label from Canada to USA, will it work? Are UPS Canada shipping systems similar enough to the US ones that they can just drop off the package at a UPS location in Canada? I assume that UPS Canada uses tracking numbers that are similar to those of UPS in USA. Any caveats I should be aware of? These are documents of no commercial value, so customs, duties, and invoices shouldn't be a factor. I assume that Fedex is similar in this regard, but if it is easier I can go with them. If anyone has any experience, please share.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
-- If I do go ahead and just purchase a UPS label from Canada to USA, will it work?
I think so

-- Are UPS Canada shipping systems similar enough to the US ones that they can just drop off the package at a UPS location in Canada?
Yes

-- I assume that UPS Canada uses tracking numbers that are similar to those of UPS in USA. Any caveats I should be aware of?
Dont think so

-- These are documents of no commercial value, so customs, duties, and invoices shouldn't be a factor. I assume that Fedex is similar in this regard, but if it is easier I can go with them. If anyone has any experience, please share.
These are documents.. so just check if you can use USPS and Canadian Post for the return. Would be cheaper. Especially the return with the weaker Canadian dollar.

rated:
I am aware that Canada Post sells prepaid envelopes for shipping to USA. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to get a hold of them in the US and sending the envelope separately is not an option. Their website also seems to reject attempts to purchase those with a US credit card.
https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/envelopes/xpresspost-tm-prepaid/u...

USPS does not operate in Canada so it is not an option for getting the documents from Canada to USA.

I am just worried that the label I purchase here will not work in Canada for some reason: unable to scan or accept a label from another country, or ship using a label purchased from another country? I am probably overthinking this since UPS offers options for imports and returns in which I would be printing the label in one country and sending it to another, so they probably do this routinely. However, the documents, while of no commercial value, are important to me and I need to get them back soon, hence my concern.

rated:
FutureDilemma said:   

USPS does not operate in Canada so it is not an option for getting the documents from Canada to USA.

Strictly speaking that's true, but you're over-thinking this.  Just put the Canadian address on at take it to the (US) post office.  They'll handle the rest.  

Edit: never mind, I misunderstood your post.  I over-thought it.  

rated:
FutureDilemma said:   rather annoyingly, the recipient in Canada insists on my providing a prepaid shipping label for sending the documents back, instead of shipping it themselves and billing me for the cost.
  So this transaction is for your benefit I gather? Tossing in a $20 Tim Hortons gift card and asking the recipient to stick a few stamps on it and drop it in a mail box isn't an option?

rated:
Yes, this is entirely for my benefit. I would gladly spend more money to make it go more smoothly, which is why I am p*ssed that they won't just take an extra $100 and send them back by next day air.

rated:
FutureDilemma said:   Yes, this is entirely for my benefit. I would gladly spend more money to make it go more smoothly, which is why I am p*ssed that they won't just take an extra $100 and send them back by next day air.
I'm confused why there's such an issue. Just order a label from their address to your address, stick it on a ups envelope, and send it with the docs.

rated:
FutureDilemma said:   Yes, this is entirely for my benefit. I would gladly spend more money to make it go more smoothly, which is why I am p*ssed that they won't just take an extra $100 and send them back by next day air.
  Is it because they don't want to take a ride to the post office and stand in line? Why not hire a courier to pick it up? 

rated:
scrouds said:   
I'm confused why there's such an issue. Just order a label from their address to your address, stick it on a ups envelope, and send it with the docs.

That was just what I was going to do. However, I have never tried it before. Given that the documents are important to me, I am looking for some reassurance that it is as simple as that. I called a few UPS stores and they had no idea. I called UPS and the CSR had me look into Import Control and Returns instead. That's what got me confused. Am I supposed to be using one of those options instead? What are the differences between these options?

rated:
atikovi said:   
  Is it because they don't want to take a ride to the post office and stand in line? Why not hire a courier to pick it up? 

I am sure they know that and could easily arrange that. However, since this transaction benefits me significantly, I would rather not argue with them. Instead, at this point I would rather focus on what I can do to get the documents back safely and quickly.

rated:
You're over thinking it. Just print a label.

Don't let ups sell you on some crazy expensive customs clearance product for documents.

rated:
I entered the addresses to see what it would cost and the three options give me basically the same price.

rated:
First you have to strap it to the moose's antlers to get it to the canoe that will take it to the post office so someone with poutine all over his (or her) fingers can toss it on the Greyhound to Toronto.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017