• filter:

sick of bad drivers and no enforcment

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hello FW.
I am really tired of bad driving habits in my area.
people disregard all rules, drive as fast as the please, ignore signals, barricades, grass, pedestrians and the like, but another thing that gets me on this, is there seems to be no one enforcing anything.
i am a damn taxpayer and what am i getting? these cops should be wallpapering these bad drivers with tickets.
the visibility of a traffic stop will bring other motorists into check i would think, but you see this bad behavior in front of police, or the cops themselves driving like idiots.
now--- traffic cameras, put those in use and everyone loses their mind, how it's not fair, or a money grab, no one seems to complain things when shoplifters or other crimes are solved using cameras.
i have never gotten a ticket i didn't earn, it has been over 15 years since my last one, and i drive 1500 miles monthly in my job.

i would just like to see some enforcement, or possibly a class action against municipalities, and for people to drive like prudent human beings, it isn't reasonable for you to drive dangerously because you are running late.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
All good poionts the police dont carre

rated:
^
Sorry! Typing while driving. Use yor turn signals!

rated:
I got a ticket for 92 a couple of weeks ago Yes, I was briefly driving 92 to avoid getting Boxed in by a middle lane sitting moron, but how about enforcing the keep right pass left law?! First offense - crush their car and hang their body from a gantry over the freeway. Thank you.

rated:
OP where do you live?

rated:
southeast florida

rated:
skh12 said:   southeast florida
That's your problem right there!

rated:
Yep. You have all the Latin American drivers, and that is how they drive down there.

rated:
scrouds said:   

Very true, I've driven in most of the country and the area around Miami is terrible. Combination of too many old people and, er, another demographic, who drive badly.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   
Yep. You have all the Latin American drivers, and that is how they drive down there.

every rickety station wagon has a ladder strapped to it, and the "comcast contractor" sign on the sides
please don't leave out all the Haitians from this equation  

rated:
ganda said:   scrouds said:   

Very true, I've driven in most of the country and the area around Miami is terrible. Combination of too many old people and, er, another demographic, who drive badly.

That is saying it nicely. They do not care about law or order. There is no respect to fellow drivers. They don't understand what a queue is. Badly is a nice way to say it.

rated:

10am is the start of the running of the buicks. Be off the road before then

rated:
ganda said:   I got a ticket for 92 a couple of weeks ago Yes, I was briefly driving 92 to avoid getting Boxed in by a middle lane sitting moron, but how about enforcing the keep right pass left law?! First offense - crush their car and hang their body from a gantry over the freeway. Thank you.
  yes, the left lanes have lost their purpose.  I love getting the evil glares from people when I have to pass them on the right as they cruise in the left lane 2 mph over the speed limit to pass someone 1 mile ahead of them going only slightly slower.  Please also need to learn how to use cruise control and stop passing/slowing down, passing/slowing down, over and over.  East TN driver here, but left lane idiots seem to have taken over the whole south based on my travels this summer. 

edit to add: Virginia drivers are the worst around here because they have been scared straight by their police forces so they drive the speed limit in all of the lanes.  So maybe more enforcement is not a good thing.

rated:
skh12 said:   the visibility of a traffic stop will bring other motorists into check i would think, but you see this bad behavior in front of police, or the cops themselves driving like idiots.

This doesn't work in reality.

You either get people who slow down & obstruct the traffic behind them, increasing congestion & actually making the situation more dangerous, or you get people thinking that the cops already got somebody & is too busy to come after me, so I guess I can speed up as fast as I want and/or double down on stupid in some other way (like gawking instead of paying attention to the road, speed, lane position, other drivers etc).

rated:
mods: we need to have a master "bad driving" thread, and make it sticky

thanks!

rated:
ganda said:   I got a ticket for 92 a couple of weeks ago Yes, I was briefly driving 92 to avoid getting Boxed in by a middle lane sitting moron, but how about enforcing the keep right pass left law?! First offense - crush their car and hang their body from a gantry over the freeway. Thank you.
I feel like I'm driving in the UK / Ireland everyday.  Apparently they changed the rules in the US to keep left, pass right on multi-lane roads.      

P.S.  The trucks are the worst middle land offenders.  98% of them don't know what the right lane is.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   
ganda said:   
scrouds said:   

That is saying it nicely. They do not care about law or order. There is no respect to fellow drivers. They don't understand what a queue is. Badly is a nice way to say it.

In my travels I've noticed that areas where poor driving is endemic have many drivers who didn't grow up in a car culture. Our driver proficiency tests are too easy, unsurprisingly resulting in too many bad drivers. [/tiki]

rated:
scrouds said:   
ganda said:   
scrouds said:   

Hey! A Buick station wagon (Opel Insignia) is on the shortlist for our next family car. Since it's a station wagon, and there's no rear parcel shelf to put your WW2 veteran hats and flags, I'm thinking Buick buyers won't want them, and I'll be able to pick up a lot queen cheap

rated:
ganda said:   
scrouds said:   

Hey! A Buick station wagon (Opel Insignia) is on the shortlist for our next family car. Since it's a station wagon, and there's no rear parcel shelf to put your WW2 veteran hats and flags, I'm thinking Buick buyers won't want them, and I'll be able to pick up a lot queen cheap

Hmmmm didnt know you were that old.

rated:
ganda said:   
 no rear parcel shelf to put your WW2 veteran hats and flags, 

Don't forget the box of tissues.

rated:
scrouds said:   
ganda said:   
scrouds said:   
ganda said:   
scrouds said:   

Hmmmm didnt know you were that old.

That's the point, I'm not that old, but GM has decided to import that car and badge it as a Buick. Strange branding decision, but I'd quite like a $30K AWD German built station wagon. I can't afford an E-Class wagon, I don't want Audi repair bills, the Golf wagon is too small... 

rated:
You could probably buy the opel badges online and such and swap out the Buick ones.

rated:
ganda said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   
ganda said:   
scrouds said:   

In my travels I've noticed that areas where poor driving is endemic have many drivers who didn't grow up in a car culture. Our driver proficiency tests are too easy, unsurprisingly resulting in too many bad drivers. [/tiki]

I'm in Northern CA where we definitely have a car culture and car cultists. I blame it on the change from having driver's ed in high school to whatever the system is now - private driving school, I think? Rules of the road are clearly not being taught. My boss was returning from a meeting with one of our coworkers yesterday. She had just commented about the craziness of the merging on the ramp they were on when another vehicle zoomed past them on the ramp to cut ahead. The driver, being an idiot, didn't look ahead and caused a 4-5 vehicle accident right in front of my boss, who was thankful for the braking system in her car that prevented them from being part of the accident.

rated:
kirbydog said:   
ganda said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   
ganda said:   
scrouds said:   

I'm in Northern CA where we definitely have a car culture and car cultists. I blame it on the change from having driver's ed in high school to whatever the system is now - private driving school, I think? Rules of the road are clearly not being taught. My boss was returning from a meeting with one of our coworkers yesterday. She had just commented about the craziness of the merging on the ramp they were on when another vehicle zoomed past them on the ramp to cut ahead. The driver, being an idiot, didn't look ahead and caused a 4-5 vehicle accident right in front of my boss, who was thankful for the braking system in her car that prevented them from being part of the accident.

I used to live in the Bay Area, and it's on my list of places with too many bad drivers. Many Asia born locals didn't grow up with cars, move to the Bay Area, buy a tan Corolla, pass the ludicrously easy driving exam, then weave up and down 680 like they genuinely believe in reincarnation. I had a 1500 mile old car totaled by a wheel holder who did not know there is a difference between a regular green light and a green filter arrow. Both green aren't they?

eta: in that case it was a tan Camry not a Corolla.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
I feel like I'm driving in the UK / Ireland everyday.  Apparently they changed the rules in the US to keep left, pass right on multi-lane roads.      

P.S.  The trucks are the worst middle land offenders.  98% of them don't know what the right lane is.

but, but, it's easiest for me if I just sit in the middle or left lane. I don't have to deal with traffic leaving or joining the freeway, I can switch off and play with my phone. What do you mean I'm turning a 3 lane road into a 2 lane road and everyone behind me is losing their mind? *I* am fine.

rated:
Ironically, now that I'm all pissed off about crappy drivers, I have to go drive. Thankfully it's too hot out for the route to cluttered with the usual pelatons of lycra clad twats

rated:
The worst offenders by me is the people who text or talk and drive even though it is against the law
( besides being dangerous as all hell } in Illinois. I saw 5 different occurrences in a 15 minute drive
home from a store just yesterday. Always seem they want to get in front of you first so they have a
clear path in front of them and then SLOW DOWN below the limit to do stuff on the phone.

Illinois is broke and always looking for new sources of revenue but it the cops just enforced the driving
while texting/talking laws, they would have more money in fines than shoe-boxes to keep the cash in.

I certainly would be OK with first offense to cut off their thumbs so they cant text.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   

The new Yorkers are down hear are also awful drivers

rated:
Now the phones and driving, I am a road warrior, and I do a lot of business from my phone, but not while I’m driving and these jerks on their phones while driving are certainly facebooking of some other social media toilet where people pretend to have a wonderful life.

rated:

Buick (2.63MB)
Disclaimer

Opel (1.51MB)
Disclaimer
scrouds said:   You could probably buy the opel badges online and such and swap out the Buick ones.

The grill's different too. Plus there's a bunch of plastic crap on the Buick to make it look rugged enough for the Old Country Buffet parking lot.

rated:
skh12 said:   Hello FW.
I am really tired of bad driving habits in my area.
people disregard all rules, drive as fast as the please, 

I'll gladly trade that for the bumper to bumper traffic around here from 7-9am and 3-7pm 5 days a week and even worse on weekends on some roads. Can't remember the last time I could drive as fast as I please.

rated:
skh12 said:   traffic cameras, put those in use and everyone loses their mind, how it's not fair, or a money grab, no one seems to complain things when shoplifters or other crimes are solved using cameras.

shoplifting = crime where a victim normally suffers an actual loss

vehicle-code infraction = crime where generally there are no victims

I've routinely driven 20+ mph over city speed limits, rolled through stop signs, and crossed double-yellow lines.   # of city accidents I've caused in 20+ years: zero
I've routinely driven 100+ mph on freeways, weaved in and out of traffic, used "truck only" lanes, and used freeway shoulders as my personal passing lanes.  # of freeway accidents I've caused in 20+ years: zero

Over those 20+ years, I've gotten only a few tickets.  but even hordes of tickets would NOT have changed my behavior.  they would've simply been "money grabs."

rated:
rihex said:   
skh12 said:   traffic cameras, put those in use and everyone loses their mind, how it's not fair, or a money grab, no one seems to complain things when shoplifters or other crimes are solved using cameras.

I've routinely driven 20+ mph over city speed limits, rolled through stop signs, and crossed double-yellow lines.   # of city accidents I've caused in 20+ years: zero
I've routinely driven 100+ mph on freeways, weaved in and out of traffic, used "truck only" lanes, and used freeway shoulders as my personal passing lanes.  # of freeway accidents I've caused in 20+ years: zero

Over those 20+ years, I've gotten only a few tickets.  but even hordes of tickets would NOT have changed my behavior.  they would've simply been "money grabs."

did that sound better in your head before you said it?  

rated:
rihex said:   

so a fine for violating an ordinance is a money grab?

rated:

rated:
rihex said:   
but even hordes of tickets would NOT have changed my behavior.  

Oh, we know.  That's why I suggest canning.

rated:
kirbydog said:   
ganda said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   
ganda said:   
scrouds said:   

i never had drivers ed in high school, my dad taught me

rated:
Solipsist said:   
skh12 said:   the visibility of a traffic stop will bring other motorists into check i would think, but you see this bad behavior in front of police, or the cops themselves driving like idiots.

This doesn't work in reality.

You either get people who slow down & obstruct the traffic behind them, increasing congestion & actually making the situation more dangerous, or you get people thinking that the cops already got somebody & is too busy to come after me, so I guess I can speed up as fast as I want and/or double down on stupid in some other way (like gawking instead of paying attention to the road, speed, lane position, other drivers etc).

i don't really care, i feel that i deserve the enforcement that i pay for.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   
rihex said:   

In light syrup or olive oil?

eta: would be an effective punishment

rated:
ganda said:   
ZenNUTS said:   
rihex said:   

In light syrup or olive oil?

eta: would be an effective punishment

formaldehyde works

(insert head-in-a-jar from silence of the lambs here) 

Skipping 27 Messages...
rated:
miserly said:   
ganda said:      Racist? Would it help you if the people who didn't grow up in a driving culture were Albanians, or grew up isolated in a hippie commune in Vermont?

Good or bad we absorb a lot of how to drive from the back seat of our parent's cars.

The stats you quoted are useless, it needs to be fatalities per mile driven. Dolphins would be very safe drivers apparently. 

you didn't have any stats to back up your assertion that I quoted and put in bold. I posited that if fatalities were a measure, since you didn't put one, for good/bad driving that fatalities may be one. I also qualified it with a note at the end that yes, this was limited to % of population not miles driven.

how can you tell if people didn't grow up in a driving culture?

the part i quoted from you didn't say Albanians or hippies.  you made negative generalizations about a specific group with no supporting data. that's better suited for early morning tweets than OT.

"Driving like they really believe in reincarnation" is a line from my friend John, a devout Christian and Wankel enthusiast from Goa (so two strikes already), joking about the terrible drivers we both suffered on our commute. It was true and funny back then, and still is. Sorry if it triggered a micro-aggression alarm.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017