• filter:

Total Eclipse of the Sun 8/21

  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
It's coming Monday.  Any plans?

I won't be in Oregon or Idaho next week, but that's OK.  Here in Los Angeles, we get an eclipse each day.  It’s when the earth blocks the sun.  This is called night.  One just ended a couple hours ago.  They’re really cool. 

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I plan to not look at it. Also I've been futzing with projecting the eclipse using a cheap spotting scope I have. If the sun ever comes out here I can try it out.

rated:
Is it safe to view through the windshield of a Mitsubishi Eclipse?

rated:
george2001 said:   Is it safe to view through the windshield of a Mitsubishi Eclipse?
  
No.  It's not safe.  You'll be Blinded by the Light


.

rated:
burgerwars said:   It's coming Monday.  Any plans?

I won't be in Oregon or Idaho next week, but that's OK.  Here in Los Angeles, we get an eclipse each day.  It’s when the earth blocks the sun.  This is called night.  One just ended a couple hours ago.  They’re really cool. 

  I wanted to have a quick viewing party at work, but I have only found 4 pairs of glasses so far and we need 3 more. I just learned that one of our other offices did a 50 pair order, which is 15 more pairs than what they need, but the order has not delivered as of this morning. If the order arrives today I'm going to drive over to the other office to get some. Whee! The estimate is for 70% partial eclipse at 10:15AM, but our morning fog layer might make all this planning and anticipation useless since we are within sight of the bay where the fog may not have burned off enough by then.

rated:
I will be in the zone of totality in Georgetown SC, flying in early in the morning and out again in the evening, hopefully with BBQ stains on my shirt. I am concerned about the traffic.

If anyone else is there, I'm the one wearing the stupid paper glasses.

rated:
Turnaround, every now and then I get a little bit lonely
And you're never coming round

rated:
sublimosa said:   Turnaround, every now and then I get a little bit lonely
And you're never coming round

Turn around bright eyes, but every now and then I fall apart
Turn around bright eyes, every now and then I fall apart

Bonnie Tyler will be performing on a cruise ship during the eclipse on 8/21.  I wonder what she'll sing?
Total Eclipse of the heart
 

rated:
I found a deal on some glasses.  I should have them by 8/22.
Eclipse glasses deal

rated:
sportsfan64 said:   I found a deal on some glasses.  I should have them by 8/22.
Eclipse glasses deal

  Now you just need to find a deal on time travel...

rated:
Connman said:   
sportsfan64 said:   I found a deal on some glasses.  I should have them by 8/22.
Eclipse glasses deal

  Now you just need to find a deal on time travel...

  https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/off-topic/1579169

rated:
Someone in the next neighborhood was selling glasses @ $5 each as a donation to his school's science program. Not sure if it is legit or not about the school, but I got 3 pairs which is the minimum needed for staff to view the event together. My guy was worried about me going to buy something from a stranger. I was armed with mobile phone and pepper spray. I didn't tell him that I don't know how the pepper sprayer works.





 

rated:
A couple of pointers about using pepper spray:
-make sure the Target is downwind of you, otherwise it will blow back in your own eyes
-don't pause when you start spraying. keep at it
-hold firmly, and don't let it get snatched from you, or it WILL be used against you. the same is true for any weapon
-don't touch your face (or privates) with the spraying hand until after you wash it thoroughly
-sprays have a limited shelf life. replace often so it doesn't betray you when you need it the most
-get familiar with it, and practice before actually using it

rated:
I think the better advice is to find and take a training class.

One should always train with the weapons they carry.

rated:
kirbydog said:   Someone in the next neighborhood was selling glasses @ $5 each as a donation to his school's science program. Not sure if it is legit or not about the school, but I got 3 pairs which is the minimum needed for staff to view the event together. My guy was worried about me going to buy something from a stranger. I was armed with mobile phone and pepper spray. I didn't tell him that I don't know how the pepper sprayer works.





 

 I'd be more worried about buying $5 glasses from someone off the street.  There's been reports of fake glasses out there, even from Amaz0n.  A PA library gave out a bunch and later discovered they were fake and had to scramble to get them back.

rated:
How to tell if your solar eclipse glasses are safe or fake

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-tell-if-your-solar-eclipse-gl...

rated:
sportsfan64 said:   
kirbydog said:   Someone in the next neighborhood was selling glasses @ $5 each as a donation to his school's science program. Not sure if it is legit or not about the school, but I got 3 pairs which is the minimum needed for staff to view the event together. My guy was worried about me going to buy something from a stranger. I was armed with mobile phone and pepper spray. I didn't tell him that I don't know how the pepper sprayer works.





 

 I'd be more worried about buying $5 glasses from someone off the street.  There's been reports of fake glasses out there, even from Amaz0n.  A PA library gave out a bunch and later discovered they were fake and had to scramble to get them back.

  These were purchased from a neighbor and are American Paper Optics brand, which is on the approved vendor list for NASA and were sold for $2 each or a bit less in volume lots of 50 or greater. I did my homework, just didn't order in a timely manner. The first batch I ordered, but had a 4 pair limit, was from Lawrence Hall of Science shop. There are tests one can do plus safety checks that can be performed on the glasses. Product price does not guarantee quality in this case as the 2 weeks prior to the event saw pricing go from $2 to $45 and up for identical items. 

rated:
ctgolfer said:   How to tell if your solar eclipse glasses are safe or fake

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-tell-if-your-solar-eclipse-glasses-are-safe-or-fake/

  top 2 pieces of advice from CNN: check if glasses has correct ISO number printed on it and buy from reputable vendor. same advice for buying Luis Vuitton bags at Times Square. Make sure it has the correct logo and the guy selling it will back it up. 

rated:
miserly said:   ctgolfer said:   How to tell if your solar eclipse glasses are safe or fake

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-tell-if-your-solar-eclipse-glasses-are-safe-or-fake/

  top 2 pieces of advice from CNN: check if glasses has correct ISO number printed on it and buy from reputable vendor. same advice for buying Luis Vuitton bags at Times Square. Make sure it has the correct logo and the guy selling it will back it up. 


If you're legally blind after using counterfeit eclipse glasses, getting your money back from the guy who sold them would be the least of your problems.

It will only be a 70% eclipse at 10:20 am where I am in Los Angeles. I'll go outside during work and try to focus a pinhole in cardboard onto paper below it. The Sky should get a bit darker for a 70 percenter. We've been having low clouds and fog in the morning for the past couple of days. I might not see anything, but no biggie.

rated:
It's pretty overcast where I am. Not going to see the Eclipse with or without glasses.

rated:
miserly said:   It's pretty overcast where I am. Not going to see the Eclipse with or without glasses.
  Drive inland!
After I scrambled to find enough glasses for all staff this morning, one of the managers called in sick. I gave a pair to one of the tenants in our building.  My guy was annoyed that I was spending time on the weekend searching for glasses for work.
It's probably going to be too foggy, but there are still 100 minutes.for it to burn off a little.

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   I plan to not look at it. Also I've been futzing with projecting the eclipse using a cheap spotting scope I have. If the sun ever comes out here I can try it out.
  This is actually working.  I was able to see the sun projected on a piece of cardboard clearly.  The MiniKKH's seem amazed that dad figured this out, and marvelled at the sunspots visible.  Now if the cloud cover cooperates we'll be able to view it.  

Pics show my cobbled together spotting scope projector and an up-close of the projection that doesn't do it justice.  Also, I took these with my cheap camera so no doubt they will show up upside down.  

rated:
It's starting...

rated:
The plane! The plane!

rated:
we only got like 57% coverage in the eclipse in SD. i went out and tried to do the cardboard thing, but it didn't work so well. so i came in to do the live stream thing

rated:
I'm done seeing the eclipse. 70% coverage here. I used cardboard with pinholes and saw some crescents. The Sky was just slightly darker, kind of resembling a hazy day. Not very exciting, but no biggie. There's another "eclipse" coming at about 7:30 pm. when the sun sets. I can't miss that.

rated:
Using my phone, looking through an eclipse glasses.

rated:
Pretty much done here in Chgo area. Made a viewing box out of a Priority Mail Shoebox and saw the crescent but too many clouds to really see much for any length of time. Basically a bust because of that.

Like burgerwars, Sky got slightly dark as we were only supposed to have 87 pct coverage but just too cloudy as I expected it to get darker than it did.

Temp did drop a bit during that time. Overall, I was not impressed.

rated:
Here's the KKH E-Clipzinator 2000 in action!

rated:
Similar scene in DC. Temp went from 90 to 85 and light level reduced. Used the lens from a welding helmet. Clouds in and out but clear long enough for many views.

rated:
^That's about as ecsplipsinated as it got way up North where the wild things grow.

rated:
All it took was a paper plate from the break room and my Handy dandy pocket knife.

rated:
I've seen partial eclipses before, so my expectations were low. It just looked a bit overcast here. It gets darker on cloudy/rainy days. 

rated:
scrouds said:   All it took was a paper plate from the break room and my Handy dandy pocket knife.
  ^^McGyver here.

rated:
i used a piece of cardboard and a pen, but he gets the mcguyver title

rated:
The next total eclipse in the US is going from Texas to Maine in 2024. Mosa's hometown is in the middle of the path of totality, pack your bags for her guest room now.

rated:
Special Snowflake, after making it clear that she is too cool for such nonsense as eclipse viewing, asked another coworker who I was chatting with if we have a plan for donating the glasses and was thinking that a school would like them. The coworker replied that she was keeping her glasses as a souvenir. Yes! As I wasn't addressed by SS in the conversation, I walked away. Sheesh, it's not enough that I scrounged to find enough pairs of glasses and now she wants us to find a suitable place to donate them?? eff that.

Yet my resolution to be kinder impedes my ability to tell SS that giving something to a child so they can look at the sun is probably not a good idea unless strictly supervised. As she is the one with the daughter not capable enough to live her own life, but then she had a baby, I guess it is reasonable that she would encourage kids to look at the sun. Ok, I'm done. Ahhhh...

 

rated:
I saw this thing. It was neat-o. Couldn't find glasses so only got to see during totality. Still was awesome

rated:
Saw it while in Toronto. Will upload a photo when possible.

rated:
we saw it in the alternate universe KayK in canada thread

Skipping 20 Messages...
rated:
Here are two photos that a lawyer by day, photographer by evening friend took.
He drove from Boston to Smokey Mountains for this event.

 

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017