• filter:

Young stray cat in need of medical treatment

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hello I figured I would start somewhere so I chose here, Approximately 5 days ago a young cat appeared on my door step. It's a male very pleasant & friendly and coincidentally has the same exact markings on its face that my cat Lucy has (adopted Lucy from stray haven last February). I own 2 cats already and didn't really want to add a 3rd but since that day this cat/kitten hasn't left our property and we have grown very fond of him. We decided to keep him but since I didn't know the history of that cat if it was previously owned or a stray I tried weaning it from going outside since my cats are indoor cats I wanted to continue that with this cat. Well yesterday I met him out and he came back with blood on his face and limping on the front right paw so I'm considering taking him to the vet but I'm anxious about what the cost would be, I love the cat but financially I don't have the extra funds to support any surgery, neuter, shots etc. so im in a slump...I was looking for opinions on what would anyone else do? Thanks

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
suedawson said:   Hello I figured I would start somewhere so I chose here, Approximately 5 days ago a young cat appeared on my door step. It's a male very pleasant & friendly and coincidentally has the same exact markings on its face that my cat Lucy has (adopted Lucy from stray haven last February). I own 2 cats already and didn't really want to add a 3rd but since that day this cat/kitten hasn't left our property and we have grown very fond of him. We decided to keep him but since I didn't know the history of that cat if it was previously owned or a stray I tried weaning it from going outside since my cats are indoor cats I wanted to continue that with this cat. Well yesterday I met him out and he came back with blood on his face and limping on the front right paw so I'm considering taking him to the vet but I'm anxious about what the cost would be, I love the cat but financially I don't have the extra funds to support any surgery, neuter, shots etc. so im in a slump...I was looking for opinions on what would anyone else do? Thanks

Given previous "stray cat" threads, be prepared, as you will probably be accused of stealing somebody else's pet, and you also almost surely be lambasted for refusing to spend $3000 on a stray cat.

My advice is, in general, if you decided to keep him, you need to pay for the shots and neutering, and I would say that he needs to become a 100% indoor cat immediately.

rated:
Here, kitty kitty kitty...

rated:
DTASFAB said:   Here, dinner dinner dinner...
  Fixed

rated:
SecondGunman said:   
DTASFAB said:   Here, dinner dinner dinner...
  Fixed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpDGzzL-wcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJYzia6KUbs

rated:
SecondGunman said:   DTASFAB said:   Here, dinner dinner dinner...
  Fixed

Now I want some general. Tsos chicken. Thanks

rated:
As for the kitty, get it checked for a microchip. If someone is missing their cat you will make them very happy. Vets and shelters can scan

If you can't afford the help the kitty needs, seek out a shelter to help.

rated:
scrouds said:   As for the kitty, get it checked for a microchip. If someone is missing their cat you will make them very happy. Vets and shelters can scan

If you can't afford the help the kitty needs, seek out a shelter to help.

Or an animal rescue org in your area can help.

rated:

rated:

rated:
Not to sound harsh, but if you want to keep the cat, you need to find the funds for at least basic shots and neutering.
I'm not a vet, but if he's eating and acting OK you can probably wait a few days and see if his paw improves on its own. If he's a young un-neutered male he was probably in a fight.
Without knowing where you are, it's hard to give specific recommendations. You could contact the rescue you adopted your other cat from and see if they have any suggestions. Our local SPCA offers a low-cost vet clinic for basic services. Do you have any low cost spay/neuter services in your area? We have one near me that does a spay/neuter and first shots for $80 but you have to be income qualified (getting some kind of government assistance).
Also, for the neutering, you can check out friendsofanimals.org. You can purchase a reduced cost certificate, but only certain vets accept it.
Good luck. I'm in this process myself right now with a kitty my mom found on her front porch.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017