• filter:

This woman needs some legal advice

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I want to help her. I saw this on our Nextdoor neighborhood forums.

"Advice Needed!
I want to ask my neighbors for some advice, as I seem to have hit far more walls than openings. I have to divulge a bit of history to paint the picture, so bear with me: A couple of years ago, my husband left me and our children. I was more fortunate than most, having a family friend who happened to be a family law attorney. He was able to secure temporary support for us, and was looking forward to taking my wealthy husband to court. He felt certain that as we had been married for almost 30 years, and that because I had no job experience/education due to the fact that we have a special needs child, that our financial support would be guaranteed. Here is where things started to go wrong- my attorney became gravely ill, and had to retire suddenly. My husband was notified and, taking advantage of the window where he knew I had no legal resources, he was able to somehow stop the the state from garnishing his wages to make sure we were paid. He has since slowly dropped the amount he was providing so much that we are now barely making it. I am paying the rent, but rent is 74% of what my current income is and I don't have the resources to move. I juggled bills for awhile, but now our electricity has been shut off for over a week. We lost most of our food, and the temperature has been almost unbearable. We have multiple pets that have been therapeutic for my daughter, and we are struggling to keep them comfortable as well. I can't be away from home for any length of time due to my daughter's condition, so working outside of the home has never been an option for me. (She is a dependant adult with multiple issues.)

So finally, we come to the quandary: I desperately need legal help. I have made so many calls, been directed and redirected to so many departments, and I can find nothing. Everyone tells me to hire a lawyer, but I have literally nothing left to offer one. Most of the legal work has been done, I have all the files from my previous lawyer. He was confident that the judge would order my husband to pay all of his legal fees, due to his income and all the evidence he withheld. It is all here, but no one will talk to me without money. I can't even request an emergency hearing for support without a lawyer, and money for court fees. 

Am I missing something? How can this be happening, and there is absolutely no legal resource? Even the Sac Court Family Law Facilitators Office had no advice for me. Please, if you know anything about this, or what I can do, I would appreciate the advice. There must be so many people in this situation, there just has to be an answer- but I can't find it. I am greatly fearing the heat tonight, I am not sure how much more we can stand. 

If you are still reading this lengthy post, thanks for hanging in there! My phone battery is almost drained, so I must stop and hope that someone out there knows something that can help us."

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Your charitable donation is not going to be tax deductible.

rated:
You might get more knowledge (and hate) over in FWF.

rated:
I sign up Nextdoor for my mom to keep a tab on her neighborhood. I had to resist the temptation to reply when someone complained about chem-trails.

rated:
Tldr, woman needs a divorce lawyer.

rated:
Strange that the lawyer would retire and the work not get passed to another lawyer in the firm.

rated:
I am pretty certain someone will alert the authorities about this woman's situation. They will be very concerned about the endangerment of everyone involved. Chances are this woman is not going to like what will need to be done though. It is likely the reason she has avoided contacting the authorities herself.
Or maybe her post will get a lawyer to take her case pro bono..

rated:
This woman needs to strap her boots on.

rated:
I can't tell who talking, the op or the woman.

rated:
atikovi said:   I can't tell who talking, the op or the woman.
  DPD

rated:
I only skimmed that ridiculous wall of text, but poor people may be able to qualify for legal assistance from their local legal aid office. It's also possible to go direct to the attorney and ask if they're willing to represent you pro bono. It's a long shot, but I know someone who was able to get an excellent attorney for free this way. 
​​​

rated:
Some good advice on here, all targeted towards an intelligent, educated person, which the lady in question appears to be and ought to already know at this stage of her dilemma.

Skeptic that I am, I suspect it is a new kind of sympathy scam, and I can see quite a few falling for it. Perhaps it does not get the big $$ from any one mark, but a lot of $ from several.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017