• filter:

Laptop search

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I want a laptop with full HD screen,backlit keyboard, DVD/cd burner. Mainly used for internet browsing, email and pic/video storage. Can this be had for under $500? 

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: DEAL DISCUSSION, TECHNOLOGY, OFF TOPIC. — Sep. 21, 2017 @ 1:23pm
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I'm sure someone still makes a laptop with a CD/DVD drive.

rated:
ganda said:   I'm sure someone still makes a laptop with a CD/DVD drive.
  Lol, I can live without one but id rather backup my kids and grandkids pics and videos on cd than trust a cloud or thumb drive.

rated:
maxcom said:   I want a laptop with full HD screen,backlit keyboard, DVD/cd burner. Mainly used for internet browsing, email and pic/video storage. Can this be had for under $500? 
If you skip the backlit keyboard, deals can be had for well under $500 all the time. Just keep your eye out for posts here on FW. Or set up alerts.

rated:
Just buy a portable USB DVD drive

ETA. Also, unless you are keeping a time-lapse record of what you have, you are way better off backing up to the cloud or to protable USB hard-drive or thumb drive. 

rated:
Using it mostly for email and web browsing, and burning CD's and DVD's... You can find a used laptop on eBay for like $100 that will do that. Heck, I have a Dell E6410 with an HDMI out, dvd burner, backlit keyboard and it upgraded itself to Windows 10. It has some sort of Intel i7 processor, and does the normal tasks just fine. Buy a new battery and charger, max out your RAM and throw an SSD in it and you're still looking at under $200.

rated:

rated:
External solid state hard drive is superior to burned DVDs and CDs in every way. Even the best quality blank DVD-R media will get disc rot after 10-20 years.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   External solid state hard drive is superior to burned DVDs and CDs in every way. Even the best quality blank DVD-R media will get disc rot after 10-20 years.
  Thanks

rated:
DVD actually does degrade over time. plus has physical limitations. i would stick with cloud and/or NAS. redundancy is important, so maybe DVD and cloud, or DVD and NAS, or all three. because redundancy is important.

rated:
morecowbell said:   DVD actually does degrade over time. plus has physical limitations. i would stick with cloud and/or NAS. redundancy is important, so maybe DVD and cloud, or DVD and NAS, or all three. because redundancy is important.
  I see what you did there.  I see it.  I see.

rated:
External burners are maybe $25 max

rated:
Thanks for the input, I'll start looking for a laptop with full hd and a backlit kb.

rated:
Last year I went searching for a laptop, somewhat similar needs, wanted full HD, but my second and third criteria was touchscreen and low price, good ram and ssd, all told I wanted to keep it under 500 as well.

Wound up grabbing a Lenovo from BJ's online, around $300, had a backlit kb, and I added the ssd and ram and kept it around the $400 mark.

If you're willing to keep the drive separate you will do good. If you need the drive, it will be trouble.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017