• filter:

Sweet Fridge Deal! (Replacing malfunctioning 17 yo pos)

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
So, while the townhouse I bought 2 years ago came with mostly new appliances (HVAC, Water Heater, W/D units, Kitchen Stove/Range), and I added a dishwasher when the "kitchen from hell" got gutted and redone - I've been stuck with this old fridge that can't seem to hold it's temp steady anymore. Plus, it's a stupid apartment-sized fridge, and I just hate it. I've been waiting for just the right deal, & today it came. Saved $350 on sale, a $115 from a SYW Sears 10% discount coupon, which brought the price down to $1,034.99. I bought 7 $150 Sears GC for $139.50 each from Giftcard Zen. Used them to buy the fridge, used eBates 6% CB, for a CB of $62.10, plus I have $45 in SYW credits on a future purchase.

As much as I'm not a fan of Sears/Kmart, they had the best price. It's a Kenmore branded Whirlpool Counter-Depth side-by-side. I was either going to get the Whirlpool elsewhere, or get the Kenmore at either Sears or Kmart. The originally $1499.99 fridge, minus all the discounts, ( $62.50 from the discounted GC, plus the CB &  SYW credits comes to under $800. The old kitchen had the ugly cabinets and fridge pictured, new kitchen pic is what went where the ugly stuff went. Fridge got relocated, and opposite wall which had nothing, now has additional cabinets and counter. Didn't plan on fridge replacement at time of remodeling, and found that only a counter-depth will fit, with very little room for the dishwasher to open. Counter-depth often costs more.

Guy who does odd-jobs for me is hauling away old fridge, possibly to someone in my neighborhood who needs it, & can't afford to get one right now. If not, it'll go to the landfill nearby, in the appliance section. New fridge comes sometime Thursday. 

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Just a thought. When the new fridge comes have them switch the way the door opens if it swings the same way as the old one. Looks like it was wrong even before you remodeled.

rated:
VegasVegan said:   Just a thought. When the new fridge comes have them switch the way the door opens if it swings the same way as the old one. Looks like it was wrong even before you remodeled.
  I agree re door swing, but she posted that she bought a side by side so it will still be a problem anyway.

rated:
VegasVegan said:   Just a thought. When the new fridge comes have them switch the way the door opens if it swings the same way as the old one. Looks like it was wrong even before you remodeled.

Door currently swings to right, so it swings towards cabinets. And yes, you are right that in the original fugly-@ss kitchen, the door should have been switched so it swung the other way. I bought the place from a former landlord, and because her Section 8 tenants were so destructive, she did the minimum necessary (they beat up the fridge, has dents & scratches - destroyed stove/range, which is why I got a new one). That's why many of the appliances were replaced. But kirbydog is right, new fridge will be a side-by-side, so it isn't going to matter.  The door to the fridge side will be a little over half the width of the current fridge. 

rated:
If it's an "Energy Star" fridge, check if there are any rebates available from the local utility, state or Fed. Maybe you can get a few more dollars back!

rated:
george2001 said:   If it's an "Energy Star" fridge, check if there are any rebates available from the local utility, state or Fed. Maybe you can get a few more dollars back!

Not "Energy Star" rated. Counter-depths are more costly, and the energy efficient ones are out of my price range. It's still fairly cheap to run though, it's cost is only a few dollars more per year than the "Energy Star" ones, and I have solar power through Solar City, so my electric costs have gone way down. I'm paying about a 3rd less on my electric bill, and new fridge will cost less to operate than the 17 yo pos I now have. I can't complain, I'm paying about half it's MSRP. 

rated:
That retro medallion back splash is rad though. They dont make `em like they used `ta

rated:
SweetClover said:    The originally $1499.99 fridge, minus all the discounts, ( $62.50 from the discounted GC, plus the CB &  SYW credits comes to under $800. 
  You coulda bought a Crown Vic with cold air for that much if you like yellow.

rated:
Farfisa850 said:   That retro medallion back splash is rad though. They dont make `em like they used `ta

Would you believe I found that at Dollar Tree? A $1 a sheet, I bought 5 - printed foil sheets. The wall is laminate wallboard and the previous owner or one of her tenants put that ugly marble-finish contact paper on it. Problem is when you remove the contact paper, it rips out chunks of the laminate.  Eventually, I plan on putting some other type of backsplash. Possibly tile. 

And fridge is here, plugged in, cooling down. It's so much bigger, and looks nice. Got the biggest eBates CB on a single item ever, thanks to the Sears Labor Day 6% CB. Gonna love my Big Fat Payment in November. 

rated:
You could probably squeeze out another $100 by listing the old one on Craigslist.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017