• filter:

Man accidentally trapped in apt by UPS package.

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
A man in San Francisco got trapped in his apartment by the placement of a UPS package under his doorknob, as shown in the picture.  The twitter responses were pretty good.  Even UPS tried to help.
UPS hostage

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Ironically the package was one of those emergency windows ladders in case there was a fire.

rated:
Someone commented that the door opens inward but that's not the problem, the handle couldn't turn.

rated:
I think the package had this inside.  (Pic hint. Door security lock bar).

rated:

rated:
I couldnt get out of my house because my package wouldn't fit through the door.

rated:
this is fake. you can't fit a box that big in an affordable apartment in san francisco

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   Someone commented that the door opens inward but that's not the problem, the handle couldn't turn.
  Maybe the resident always opened the door by pressing down on the handle and never thought he could also open the door by lifting it up too.

rated:
kamalktk said:   I couldnt get out of my house because my package wouldn't fit through the door.
  By package you mean spare tire?

rated:
atikovi said:   
ZenNUTS said:   Someone commented that the door opens inward but that's not the problem, the handle couldn't turn.
  Maybe the resident always opened the door by pressing down on the handle and never thought he could also open the door by lifting it up too.

So, being a damn engineer I had to see if handle like this can work the other way.  Our office here got the level style handle as well and...

<drum roll>

they only work by pressing down on it, can't be lifted up.

There are probably other similar style handle that does work the other way as well.  

rated:
Got one on my front door at home although it's an electronic keyless entry. I can open the door either way but apparently the inside and outside handle aren't directly connected because when I move the inside one, the outside handle stays put.

rated:
Ok, I went back and try it one more time. This time I try to see what happen to the handle on the other side and.. it moves as well, however, I was also able to return the other handle to the un-activated position.

So, the handle on the other side should be able to freely move between the 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock position when the other handle is pressed down. I think that's how most door handle works. The story smell more fishy now.

rated:
We have doors like that here at work. Some handles can both raise or lower to open the door. Others, with the same looking handle, can only move in one direction; trying to move the handle in the non-opening direction will not work at all. I definitely can see him being locked in as described.

rated:
No free space at the top of that box, so that the handle would crush into it with some force applied?

rated:
atikovi said:   Got one on my front door at home although it's an electronic keyless entry. I can open the door either way but apparently the inside and outside handle aren't directly connected because when I move the inside one, the outside handle stays put.
I lived in an apartment building that had apartment doors like that. I hated them. The doors supposedly locked automatically on the outside when they were closed, but were still unlocked on the inside for easy exit. Except they didn't work very well. If I was on the outside, I could try the door to make sure it was locked securely before I left. However, if I was inside my apartment, there was really no way to verify that the door was locked and secure from intruders. 

rated:
moonbeam said:   
atikovi said:   Got one on my front door at home although it's an electronic keyless entry. I can open the door either way but apparently the inside and outside handle aren't directly connected because when I move the inside one, the outside handle stays put.
I lived in an apartment building that had apartment doors like that. I hated them. The doors supposedly locked automatically on the outside when they were closed, but were still unlocked on the inside for easy exit. Except they didn't work very well. If I was on the outside, I could try the door to make sure it was locked securely before I left. However, if I was inside my apartment, there was really no way to verify that the door was locked and secure from intruders. 

Including my current place, I've lived in two apartments in a row with door handles like this.  The way you confirm it's locked is to double bolt it.  Even when the button is pushed in to keep the whole thing unlocked from the outside, simply extending the deadbolt mechanism (even when the door is open - it doesn't really matter) will automatically lock everything.

The biggest problem with these types of doors is that anyone who knows how to bend a wire hanger and slide it under the door can easily pull the inside handle down and get into the apartment.  It's really not secure at all.  I keep duct tape over mine to make it difficult to grab with a hook, especially without the benefit of seeing what you're doing.  But it's still not a 100% guarantee that nobody can get in.

rated:
I would not want to live in a place where there is only one exit, i.e. high-rise or mid-rise building.  if there is a fire by the door or the hallway and the sprinklers are not working then your're a toast.

rated:
ach1199 said:   I would not want to live in a place where there is only one exit, i.e. high-rise or mid-rise building.  if there is a fire by the door or the hallway and the sprinklers are not working then your're a toast.
That's what ladders are for!  

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
ach1199 said:   I would not want to live in a place where there is only one exit, i.e. high-rise or mid-rise building.  if there is a fire by the door or the hallway and the sprinklers are not working then your're a toast.

I've never seen a fire escape on a high rise.  Ladders can't reach either.  You are toast.  
Remember Unbreakable?  'If a fire breaks out on floors 1,2,or 3, everyone is dead'

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
DTASFAB said:   

I've never seen a fire escape on a high rise.  Ladders can't reach either.  You are toast.  
Remember Unbreakable?  'If a fire breaks out on floors 1,2,or 3, everyone is dead'

Parachutes for everybody!
http://gizmodo.com/jump-safely-from-burning-buildings-wearing-this-window-1623480896

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
DTASFAB said:   

Because if it happened in a movie about two guys who are immortal, it must be real.

I live on the 5th floor.  A ladder on a truck should be able to reach my window.  I used to live on the 21st floor in a different building, and the windows only opened a crack about four inches wide, presumably to prevent people from falling out of them.  I didn't like being that high up, although the view was nice.

rated:
No need to believe that a movie can be wrong.
fire in the stair wells, elevator shut down due to fire.....dun dun dun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winecoff_Hotel_fire
The above fire trapped everyone above floor 3. The only survivors from 4+ jumped out of windows. (119 dead)
(Probably where the movie inspiration came from)

And looks like a ladder truck can reach the 10th floor. So you are good!

rated:
forbin4040 said:   No need to believe that a movie can be wrong.
fire in the stair wells, elevator shut down due to fire.....dun dun dun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winecoff_Hotel_fire
The above fire trapped everyone above floor 3. The only survivors from 4+ jumped out of windows. (119 dead)
(Probably where the movie inspiration came from)

And looks like a ladder truck can reach the 10th floor. So you are good!

A zillion years ago when I lived in Minneapolis, I remember reading that their firetruck ladders could reach the 12th floor. Above that you're toast. I assume most cities have similar situations. In NYC I lived on the 16th, then the 30th and worked on the 47th, I knew no one would rescue me if there was a fire. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017