• filter:

i would have never

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
considered doing more involved repairs, but with youtube, it looks so easy! i'm going to replace a bad starter on mrs miserlys minivan.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
The former maintenance man at my apartment complex used followed youtube instructions all the time. It did not make me feel confident in his knowledge, however.

rated:
i met a guy recently that told me that he learns a lot from youtube...stuff that he implements at his place of business. he watches construction type stuff and builds things, has learned how to operate machinery, etc. i was pretty impressed with what he described

rated:
moonbeam said:   The former maintenance man at my apartment complex used followed youtube instructions all the time. It did not make me feel confident in his knowledge, however.
depending on what he was doing, it could make a little difference, or a lot. i wouldn't want him to do stuff that required the knowledge of a master electrician or master plumber. but to unclog a drain, replace a toilet, or install a thermostat, it should be fine  

rated:
I use youtube for all my vehicle issues and judge if I think I am able to do the repair with my skills and limited tools. I have been doing a lot more lately and will be attempting upper control arms and lower ball joints on my truck this afternoon. In the last week, I also replaced a radiator on mom's van, coolant reservoir on our car, and fixed a leaky toilet. youtube rocks, although yes, some people make it look much easier than it winds up being though not impossible.

rated:
I occasionally fix things without calling my FIL thanks to you youtube. Sometimes the Mrs. calls her dad to double check on what I'm doing. I don't blame her.

She: Hey, that light fixture on the stairway is working!
Me: Yeah, it had some loose connections but I fixed it.
She: That makes me scared for a fire or something!
Me: You should be. I'm terrible at soldering.

rated:
Several years ago, I changed the knock sensors on my Sienna by following Toyota forums and Y0uyube University.  The quoted labor was well over $1k because the knock sensors are buried deep inside of the engine block.  Tool couple of days and lots of picture taking and patience.  The actual parts were < $50.

rated:
Thanks to youtube I can actually boil water now all by myself!

rated:
Youtube taught me how to poop by myself.

rated:
miserly said:   considered doing more involved repairs, but with youtube, it looks so easy! i'm going to replace a bad starter on mrs miserlys minivan.
  If you have a local library nearby, you also might be able to check out the Chilton manual for that rig to use as a second reference

rated:
DTASFAB said:   Youtube taught me how to poop by myself.
Hey, I put that video up!

rated:
Thanks to youtube I learned that we are all brainwashed sheeple.

baaaaah!

rated:
How to calm a baby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2C8MkY7Co8

How to fold tshirt in like 2 seconds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJEuEpj5Iqk

rated:
miserly said:   considered doing more involved repairs, but with youtube, it looks so easy! i'm going to replace a bad starter on mrs miserlys minivan.
pro-tip: take a picture from different angles before the procedure. that way, you can make sure you got it all back together correctly  

rated:
DTASFAB said:   Youtube taught me how to poop by myself.
i forget - when does flinging come into play?  

rated:
morecowbell said:   
pro-tip: take a picture from different angles before the procedure. that way, you can make sure you got it all back together correctly  

For a second I thought this was a reply to the "youtube taught me how to poop" post.

rated:
that goes without saying

rated:
moonbeam said:   The former maintenance man at my apartment complex used followed youtube instructions all the time. It did not make me feel confident in his knowledge, however.
  Would you prefer it if he did not follow those instructions?

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   
Me: You should be. I'm terrible at soldering.

You soldered a light fixture???  How did you handle the wicking and relieve the strain?

rated:
morecowbell said:   pro-tip: take a picture from different angles before the procedure. that way, you can make sure you got it all back together correctly  
And if your car has rear drum brakes, some parts can be installed exactly backwards, like the automatic adjuster and the front and back shoes. Often only one side is shown in repair manuals, and the brake on the other side is a mirror image.

rated:
well, it really did take 15 minutes to get to the starter. now if i can only put it back together... figured i do half the work now and half later instead of trying to do it all at once.

rated:
morecowbell said:   

I have photos of cable placement for the tv, etc so I don't have to try to remember what goes with what.

rated:
kirbydog said:   
morecowbell said:   

I have photos of cable placement for the tv, etc so I don't have to try to remember what goes with what.

yup. took mcb's advice. and took photos along the way.

rated:
I used YouTube to rebuild the engine in my car... save me a ton of money. Now that I got it all back together and had is running very nice then a few months later a guy pulled out in front of me and now the car is totaled.

rated:
Gotta love those youtube do-it-yourself brain surgery videos!

rated:
  Some people have the core skills, but no clue how to apply them to new situations.

rated:
i learned how to change out the suspension on my tacoma from youtube!

rated:
  where are they supposed to learn this stuff? at harvard? how does anybody learn the trades? from another guy showing him the ropes? i think with youtube, at least you can see how different people do the same thing and can decide for yourself.

rated:
george2001 said:   Gotta love those youtube do-it-yourself brain surgery videos!
  I don't remember.

rated:
all done. back on the road. woo hoo!

rated:
now you gotta get the K&N induction. those are on the top, so it's easier. but then you get to go around saying you have a K&N 

rated:
I replaced the rolled-up door in the back of my box-truck thanks to youtube.

what they did not tell is:  either tell someone you are in there ... or take a cell phone to call 911.

and take a bottle of water: It took me close to 30mn to get out of there when the door got stuck shut ... and temperature outside was in the 90's 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017