• filter:

martin has a guitar kit, where you build your own guitar

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
linkage

funny, that's what martins look like after kurt russell gets to them

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Don't you think that part of the pricing for a quality instrument is in the craftsmanship expertise and skill of the creator? It's not like Build-A-Bear

rated:
i dunno...i've done minor restoration. it would be interesting to glue one all together to see how they work

kurt, on the other hand, sees how they come apart

kurt destroying a 145 yr old martin guitar in filming "hateful 8"

rated:
I can't recall the movie that included creation of violins. Was it "The Red Violin?" The care that went into the building of each instrument was evident.

I have yet to unpack my ukelele but hope it is decently constructed.

rated:
kirbydog said:   Don't you think that part of the pricing for a quality instrument is in the craftsmanship expertise and skill of the creator? It's not like Build-A-Bear

I'm not sure sure you don't get a lot of that here.

The manufacturer still goes through the material storage & selection, and the precision machining... which are hugely important & something a lot of amateur luthiers may not have the resources & experience to do or to do well

There are some possible advantages to having the thing in pieces too, like being able to choose your own inlay material to something outside the manufacturer's normal offerings, you can make adjustments to your nut and frets before they are installed among other things, maybe the most important of which is being able to choose a finish that not everyone has.

I personally don't think I would try to build one from a kit... but I can see how some people would assign a good amount more extrinsic value to something that they built or highly personalized themselves.

rated:
Solipsist said:   
kirbydog said:   Don't you think that part of the pricing for a quality instrument is in the craftsmanship expertise and skill of the creator? It's not like Build-A-Bear
 luthiers

Now there's a word.

Reassembling an electric guitar:

oh cock

rated:
i must have been in the (seven nation) army or something...i could probably do that (the electric one) blindfolded!

"this is my guitar. there are many like it, but this one is mine..."

rated:

rated:
I'd imagine, like a finely made firearm or anything else that relies on precisely fitting several components together, the end result is much more than the sum of it's parts. Even starting with wood of the same trees, and off the shelf components, the final assembly involves some finesse to marry them together perfectly and achieve the perfect fit. A cabinet maker or trim carpenter may enjoy a kit like this, but it's surely not something I'd attempt.

rated:
Are regular factory-finished guitars altered after assembly at the factory to make them sound better, before they're shipped?  Because over 100 years ago, someone tried to find the secret of the sound of Stratovarius violins by taking careful measurements of each piece, including the variations in thickness of the back, but when violins based on those measurements were made, they didn't sound like the originals.  PBS Nova did a documentary about this that also featured a physicist who bought several partially finished violins to study them, and sometimes he could make noticeable improvements by simply gouging out a small bit of wood from the inside.    

rated:
i heard something about those strads (the violin ones) having been made using certain woods that were grown at a really anomalous time, and that is allegedly part of why they cannot be reproduced. of course antonius was a master builder, which didn't hurt none

there are different ways of getting desired tone. some will use different woods, different cures, heating, etc, etc. godin uses woods that are highly compressed. paul reed smith will cut wood, wait for it to set, then gradually finish it as it settles.

you can actually buy guitars made by the master builders at fender (and probably gibson) - the ones that famous musicians insist on. the master builders will take a lot of time just to select the right woods and stuff. these folks know what they're doing. i've also heard of some modern instrument makers making very few per year, because everything has to be done "right"

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017