• filter:

Do you ever return a rental car after filling it up and driving some more?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
And how does it make you feel? Just returned an Impala after driving it another 50 miles after filling it up, and the gauge was still above the full mark. Probably coulda gone another 20 or 30 miles. Felt like I got away with screwing an institution that has tried to screw me a few times.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
i felt like i didn't care. they wanna make money, and they have their business model to do so

the time i did care is when i paid too much for them to fill the tank, because i didn't want to miss my flight. but their documentation, which i signed, told me how much i would have to pay. since it was my fault, i paid. now i just make sure i fill it when i return it. or sometimes i pre-pay, and i try to get close to returning it empty. but i don't worry too much about it if it's not within some spec

rated:
Aren't you just screwing over the next renter?

rated:
atikovi said:   Felt like I got away with screwing an institution that has tried to screw me a few times.You didn't screw the rental company, you screwed the next customer (assuming they fill the tank and return within a short distance).

rated:
ganda said:   Aren't you just screwing over the next renter?
  Yes but the previous renter may have screwed me over doing the same thing. So it all evens out in the end.

rated:
atikovi said:   
  Yes but the previous renter may have screwed me over doing the same thing. So it all evens out in the end.

It only evens out if everyone is a shit human, and while we seem to be rushing headlong toward that, we're not there just yet.

rated:
atikovi said:   ganda said:   Aren't you just screwing over the next renter?

No it doesnt. See tragedy of the commons.

rated:
Doesn't pass the burrito test, so no, i don't bother

rated:
You are probably the type of renter that fills it up with E-85 (when a car is not designed to use E-85).
 I have rented cars that come off full 10 miles after taking it off the lot, most likely from people like you who did not fill or drove it 40 miles afterwards.
I do mention it to the company upon return but doubt if they pursue it.  

I had a 91 Caprice (the ugly one) that I inherited from my uncle and I could drive 140 miles before the needle moved off full.

The gauge was not wrong and this full size car with the 5 liter engine and crude throttle body injection would get 33 MPG on the highway (30 after they went to forced E10 gas here) and with a 25 gal tank, could drive across 3 states before needing gas (over 700 mile range per tank). Only problem was that my bladder could not last 700 miles so had to stop every so often to pit and sometimes needed to clean the bugs off the windshield if driving during the summer months in between fill-ups.  What that car lacked in looks, it made up in fuel mileage.

rated:
Dovetonsils said:   You are probably the type of renter that fills it up with E-85 (when a car is not designed to use E-85).
  Gotta remember that for the next time.

rated:
Dovetonsils said:   You are probably the type of renter that fills it up with E-85 (when a car is not designed to use E-85).
 I have rented cars that come off full 10 miles after taking it off the lot, most likely from people like you who did not fill or drove it 40 miles afterwards.
I do mention it to the company upon return but doubt if they pursue it.  

I had a 91 Caprice (the ugly one) that I inherited from my uncle and I could drive 140 miles before the needle moved off full.

The gauge was not wrong and this full size car with the 5 liter engine and crude throttle body injection would get 33 MPG on the highway (30 after they went to forced E10 gas here) and with a 25 gal tank, could drive across 3 states before needing gas (over 700 mile range per tank). Only problem was that my bladder could not last 700 miles so had to stop every so often to pit and sometimes needed to clean the bugs off the windshield if driving during the summer months in between fill-ups.  What that car lacked in looks, it made up in fuel mileage.

Sounds almost as good as a Crown Vic.

rated:
ganda said:   
atikovi said:   

It only evens out if everyone is a shit human, and while we seem to be rushing headlong toward that, we're not there just yet.

I take note of exactly where the needle is when I take the car.  I compare it to the paperwork.  As long as it's close, I don't worry about it.  I note how many miles I drive the car.  I estimate expected MPG and determine how many gallons I should have burned.  I then put that amount of gas in the tank.  The needle should be in the same location as when I took the car.  Then I return it.  If the person before me was a shit human, the person after me will pay the price, not me.  If the person before me was not a shit human, neither was I.

rated:
If it matters much, I did stuff more than a buck worth of gas into the tank after the automatic shut off when refueling. So is the prepaid option a better deal? Then you take the risk of running out of gas on the way to dropping it off, but the adrenaline rush might be cool.

rated:
i do the prepaid option when i'm working. work pays it, time is a factor, and it's usually cheaper per gallon than if i just don't fill it and pay the penalty

but personally, i would do it if i knew i was gonna drive it all off. if it's within a gallon, it's worth it

rated:
As long as the needle is approximately close as to where it was when you got it, you aren't hurting anyone. I prefer getting cars that have a full tank when I pick up, because then I don't have to guess how much to put in before returning. I also will usually fill up when I leave my location before heading to the airport, as the gas stations near the airport always cost a lot more. 20 miles away from the airport won't make a noticeable change to the needle. Is the person after me getting screwed if they fill up closer to the airport? Possibly. Never really thought of it until now.

rated:
if i am paying over $40 a day for a rental car, i won't consider $4 to be "getting screwed." i give more than that in tips when i go out to eat

rated:
DTASFAB said:   

Sounds almost as good as a Crown Vic.

Actually my wife owned a 89 and a 94 Crown Vic and they were much more thirsty with the 302 V8 and the 4.6 liter on the 94 and would only get maybe 22 mpg hwy on a good day with a tailwind.  My 97 Grand Marquis and her 2007 Grand Marquis got even worse fuel mileage than that.  Gas mileage on the 2007 Grand Marquis in the city is roughly 15 and much worse in the winter months.  I have owned two 6 cyl cars that never even got close to the MPG I got on that V8 91 Caprice.  It actually was a decent car if you could get past the looks of it.

rated:
Do you have to "fill up" a rented all electric vehicle?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017