• filter:

some people just don't like when your opinion differs from theirs

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
just saying this because it's the second time in recent times that this happened. and of all things...it's just about cars

a few months ago, i was in orlando (and no, it wasn't scrouds), and i was working. so this co-worker was talking to me about cars, and said something about not liking fords. well, that's fine and dandy, but i said my part...this being a conversation, i figured that should be ok. i said that i have one (i do) and i haven't had any problems with it (i haven't). he said how bad they are overall, or something that i don't remember since it was so long ago. i said, not in a heated manner, that my family has had lots of fords over the years, and that they haven't had the issues that he was trying to convince me of

now, i was not saying he was lying. i have heard of people having problems with fords. i have also heard of people having problems with hondas, hyundais, and basically, if it has wheels and an engine, people have had problems with them

so yeah, for some reason that conversation at some point had him (possibly jokingly) saying "screw you" to me. fine...cars are important to me, but they don't make or break relationships for me. yes, someone can not like fords and i will be their friend

so now today, for some reason, a similar thing happened. i was watching a live youtube channel, that didn't have to do with cars, and for some reason someone stated something bad about fords. again, i stated that i hadn't had the issues that were implied. he said something about how he knows so much blah blah blah and that my 1 experience didn't match up with facts. i again mentioned how my family had whatever experience, but i acknowledged that he could have a different opinion. and he seemed to take it personally. etc, etc, what he said was THE fact and whatever

i've said before that people will have different opinions from mine. and i would venture to say that the people that have different opinions will also have people that have opinions different from their own. so...why would anyone get offended by this? it's not like i said his mom's ugly or his wife sleeps around or something

- confused cowbell

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Haven't you been reading FW : Finance? It's full of differing opinions.

rated:
Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.

rated:
Why can't we all get along??

rated:
wait till you talk religion or politics! stuff they have real evidence and feelings about!

rated:
miserly said:   wait till you talk religion or politics! stuff they have real evidence and feelings about!
and that's why i brought it up. i almost expect it in those cases. but if i'm sitting here and saying "well, i don't eat red meat," i don't expect miserly to start telling me how it's better to eat meat, then for me to say why i don't, and then for him to try to invalidate my opinion, etc. it's like...how does what i like even impact anyone else?

i mean, sure, of course people will think one thing or another sucks for a reason. but then if i don't agree...it's also for a reason! not...omg how dare you not agree?  

rated:
Are we actually talking a difference of opinions (ex: red cars are more attractive than blue cars) or facts (Hondas get better gas mileage than Ferraris). I notice that many people who have this peeve are upset that people won't accept their alternative version of the truth, aka a buncha bs they're trying to peddle. 

rated:
nothing that can be proven like gas mileage. my mustang gets 20mpg, and 23 on a good day. if someone were to say a honda or a fiat get better mileage, i'm all for it. if they say a jeep or range rover handle better off-road, it's all good. but this stuff where one brand "sucks" i will have to say is more debatable

rated:
Crown Vic.

rated:
Only "thing" that sucks worse than Ford cars is Ford, Harrison.
Specially since he follows Scientology and is a Republican.

rated:
Regarding Ford cars, my wife has had many Crown Vic /Mercury Grand Marquis cars over the years and she loves them.
Have they been without issue.... Far From it but she still would buy another if they were still made.

Me, not entirely fond of them as I owned one (1997 Grand Marquis) and it was a dog. Drove General Motors cars for 30 years before the 97 and after 2 really bad issues with 2 Gen Motors cars (1 engine related just out of warranty), that was enough to switch to the 97 Grand Marquis (which turned out to be a mistake as it was NOT the same quality of my wife's previous Crown Vics ). The Plastic Intake Manifold cracked and Mercury would not cover the fix because it was not a fleet car.  Seems Ford had repeated issues with the Plastic Manifolds over the years since the last aluminum version of it was on my wife's 94 Crown Vic and they wanted to take costs out of the engine build (a Ford Better Idea).

After 30 years of GM cars and 1 Ford, that was enough to turn me into foreign car ownership (Hyundai).
Turned out to be the best move I ever made as far as reliability that rivaled the old General Motors cars
I am just making a general statement of my experiences and not trying to force my opinion on anybody.  
You make your own decision as I am not trying to influence yours.

You mentioned " i have heard of people having problems with fords. i have also heard of people having problems with hondas, hyundais, and basically, if it has wheels and an engine, people have had problems with them "
(Same statement can be said about women!)

rated:
Fixed Or Repaired Daily

rated:
"some people just don't like when your opinion differs from theirs"

Yes, but those people are wrong.

rated:
I can't do the boogaloo.....

rated:
Nod and smile is usually the best defense.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   Fixed Or Repaired Daily
Found On Road Dead

Seriously though, crown vic. Built Ford tough. Lol

rated:
Dovetonsils said:   Regarding Ford cars, my wife has had many Crown Vic /Mercury Grand Marquis cars over the years and she loves them.
Have they been without issue.... Far From it but she still would buy another if they were still made.

Me, not entirely fond of them as I owned one (1997 Grand Marquis) and it was a dog. Drove General Motors cars for 30 years before the 97 and after 2 really bad issues with 2 Gen Motors cars (1 engine related just out of warranty), that was enough to switch to the 97 Grand Marquis (which turned out to be a mistake as it was NOT the same quality of my wife's previous Crown Vics ). The Plastic Intake Manifold cracked and Mercury would not cover the fix because it was not a fleet car.  Seems Ford had repeated issues with the Plastic Manifolds over the years since the last aluminum version of it was on my wife's 94 Crown Vic and they wanted to take costs out of the engine build (a Ford Better Idea).

After 30 years of GM cars and 1 Ford, that was enough to turn me into foreign car ownership (Hyundai).
Turned out to be the best move I ever made as far as reliability that rivaled the old General Motors cars
I am just making a general statement of my experiences and not trying to force my opinion on anybody.  
You make your own decision as I am not trying to influence yours.

You mentioned " i have heard of people having problems with fords. i have also heard of people having problems with hondas, hyundais, and basically, if it has wheels and an engine, people have had problems with them "
(Same statement can be said about women!)

You remind my of my grandmother. Only bought a crown vic because gm stopped making a full-size car.

On the other hand my, experience with Hyundai is less than satisfactory. People told me it was a 100k car. I only got 73k on it. Bought used so no warranty, but I'm sure they'd weasel out of it anyways.

rated:

rated:
scrouds said:   
You remind my of my grandmother. Only bought a crown vic because gm stopped making a full-size car.

On the other hand my, experience with Hyundai is less than satisfactory. People told me it was a 100k car. I only got 73k on it. Bought used so no warranty, but I'm sure they'd weasel out of it anyways.

Actually that is only partly true.  It was because GM quit making comfortable RWD cars.  Not everybody can take the bone rattling ride of a Camaro.
While Chrysler / Dodge makes some RWD cars, they dont seem to hold up well (rust) in our area.  That and I have rented a few and they just are not
my cup of tea.  My 2 Hyundai's were both bought new and drove the snot out of both with no serious issues other than some emission recalls on the first Sonata.  2nd Sonata, had for 11+ years and never needed to return it to the dealer for anything at all in that time, no recalls, no nothing.  It just ran trouble free (and continues to run 2 years after I sold it to the kid across the street from me).  I am starting to think that I should nave never sold it now.  Still not fond of FWD cars and miss the RWD burnouts.

rated:
scrouds said:   
DTASFAB said:   Fixed Or Repaired Daily
Found On Road Dead

Seriously though, crown vic. Built Ford tough. Lol

that's the thing (found on road dead), there can be a lot of clever sayings, but it doesn't make it true

fiat - fix it again, tony
acura - awful crappy unreliable rusty automobile
GM - general mistake
honda - how odd no damned acceleration

etc, etc

rated:
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

I'd have a Mustang if I was a little girl, but I'm not, so I don't.

rated:
FORD Spelled Backwards...
Driver Returns On Foot.

Actually, I worked for Ford (in a way) so I have heard them all.

Ford...
First On Race Day

rated:
"So, what kind of car do you drive?"

"Nice, you drive a much better car than mine."

That's all they want to hear.

rated:
atikovi said:   Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.
Sphincterless Joe has no opinion.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017