• filter:

With so many people obsessed with personal privacy, how can the newspaper publish home sale details?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Iím only familiar with the Washington Post but assume many papers do the same thing, publish the address, sale price and names of the buyer and seller.†You could sue your doctor if he lets someone know you take an aspirin, so why are newspapers allowed to publish such personal information at will? With so many people paranoid about even showing their carís license plate in a for sale add, I thought there would be an uproar about this common practice by papers.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
After your thread about cheaping out on filling rental cars, you are an undesirable in my book.

rated:
atikovi said:   Iím only familiar with the Washington Post but assume many papers do the same thing, publish the address, sale price and names of the buyer and seller.†You could sue your doctor if he lets someone know you take an aspirin, so why are newspapers allowed to publish such personal information at will? With so many people paranoid about even showing their carís license plate in a for sale add, I thought there would be an uproar about this common practice by papers.
† that is public information, just look at the county appraisers website

rated:
skh12 said:   
† that is public information,

† Well, maybe it shouldn't be. Why is it public information how much you pay for something, especially such a †major asset. Isn't there a privacy issue involved? Years ago you could go into the DMV with a license plate number and ask for the name and address to whom it belonged. That was stopped a while ago. Why is this still around?

rated:
It's all because of some Lockean principle that American culture has failed miserably at implementing over the past 241 years. †Some social contract bullshit where slave owners were writing documents using Orwellian language nearly 200 years before Orwell wrote any decent books.

rated:
It has nothing to do with the newspaper.† Your outrage should be directed to the government who require this information to be available publicly.† Forget about the newspaper, I can goto my county recorder's website and punch in the PIN of the property and I get the good amount of history of that property.†

rated:
ach1199 said:   It has nothing to do with the newspaper.† Your outrage should be directed to the government who require this information to be available publicly.† Forget about the newspaper, I can goto my county recorder's website and punch in the PIN of the property and I get the good amount of history of that property.†
† I don't even do that,
Just go to Zillow.com and look up the price history.

rated:
ach1199 said:   It has nothing to do with the newspaper.† Your outrage should be directed to the government who require this information to be available publicly.† Forget about the newspaper, I can goto my county recorder's website and punch in the PIN of the property and I get the good amount of history of that property.†
† That's fine, it may be public info but it's not something regularly published. Some papers used to publish the names and photos of those arrested for drunk driving. That wouldn't be such a bad thing but for some reason it was stopped.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
† I don't even do that,

† Don't think it gives the buyer name?

rated:
atikovi said:   
forbin4040 said:   
† I don't even do that,

† Don't think it gives the buyer name?

† No, I would have to go to the County seat to get that.
Zillow shows bids, final prices and dates purchased.

rated:
You are making a straw-man comparison, for one. Medical record vs home sales. Not the same.

You can also hide RE transaction if you so choose, create a LLC or partnership.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   You are making a straw-man comparison, for one. Medical record vs home sales. Not the same.

† Not very easy to get a mortgage and title it in LLC.† Usually have to title it in your name and quit claim it to LLC.

rated:
caterpillar123 said:   
ZenNUTS said:   You are making a straw-man comparison, for one. Medical record vs home sales. Not the same.

† Not very easy to get a mortgage and title it in LLC.† Usually have to title it in your name and quit claim it to LLC.

† That would still generate the public record.

rated:
caterpillar123 said:   ZenNUTS said:   You are making a straw-man comparison, for one. Medical record vs home sales. Not the same.

Depends how much money/income the LLC has. If you just set one up to buy a house with then yeah, lenders dont like that too much because it gets a lot harder for the lender to come after you. LLC purchase of homes/apartments is apparently pretty common in higher end NYC though.

rated:
Having a feel for how the OP's brain works, he has probably scammed people and is now looking to buy a house with their money, and does not wish for them to find out.
"Oh, I would return your money if only I had any."

Or he is buying/selling at a price different to what he will tell some naive trusting sucker.

Or sumsuch!

And we are trying to help him why?

rated:
Maybe OP is done with selling cars and is trying to flip houses.

rated:
atikovi said:   
skh12 said:   
† that is public information,

† Well, maybe it shouldn't be. Why is it public information how much you pay for something, especially such a †major asset. Isn't there a privacy issue involved? Years ago you could go into the DMV with a license plate number and ask for the name and address to whom it belonged. That was stopped a while ago. Why is this still around?

† Because real estate†is a matter of public record, by common law. †The government has a right to tax landowners, and in order to do that a public record of who owns what is established. †Taxes are determined by property type and the established rate. †Taxes paid, and unpaid are also recorded. †If you want to protect your privacy, as many celebrities and notable people do, establish an LLC which registers the property in your name.

rated:
Privacy is an illusion. Where's my tinfoil hat?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017