• filter:

Can someone solve this puzzle?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I am struggling with this puzzle along with my kid, who's in algebra class. The conditions are:
1. (X.6)(y.4) = 288
2. X^2-y^2 = -5
3. X.7-3.x = 19
4. (Y-x)/(x-y)= -1
x and y has to be the same numbers throughout the 4 given conditions. 

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
in general you would graph the equations and the point where they all intersect is the answer,

rated:
Haven't done algebra in decades but doesn't google give you the answer or a math program on your computer?

rated:
Since X.6 and Y.4 are values in the first equation, we have to assume that X and Y are whole numbers. Therefore, equations 2 and 4 are easy to decipher by plugging in random numbers and using trial and error. This does not, however, help solve equations 1 and 3. And the below results for 2 and 4 don't seem to reconcile with any plausible solutions to 1 and 3, sorry to say.

X = 2
Y = 3
2^2-3^3 = 4-9 = -5

X = 2
Y = 3
(3-2)/(2-3) = 1 / -1 = -1

Also I think you typed equation 3 wrong.

rated:
In equation 4, any whole numbers with a difference of 1 could be plugged in to get the same result. For example,

X = 98
Y = 99
(99-98)/(98-99) = 1 / -1 = -1

There's no hard and fast rule (at least that can be determined from this equation alone) that says Y has to be greater than X. It could be the other way around.  For example,

X = 99
Y = 98
(98-99)/(99-98) = -1 / 1 = -1

However, in equation 2, Y has to be greater than X, since

(x)(x) - (y)(y) < 0

rated:
1.  There are a couple variations that come close, but none exactly.

(17.4)(16.6) = 288.84
(16.4)(17.6) = 288.64
(18.4)(15.6) = 287.04
(15.4)(18.6) = 286.44

rated:
Does not compute.

rated:
1 = 2

rated:
2 = 1

rated:
I came up with x = 19/4 from solving for the 3rd equation. Yes, I checked again and equation 3 is correct. When solving for y using equation #2, I get 22/4. These two fit perfectly well for all equations, but doesn't fit the first equations. If I solve for y using using the first equation, then the answer doesn't fit the rest of the equations.

rated:
DTASFAB. I noticed that too. Thank you 

rated:
Google does not have the answer. Math program in the computer solves puzzles, which program is that?

rated:
You lost me. How are X and Y not whole numbers? How can x = 19/4? A fraction is already a decimal written a different way. It's 4.75. The first equation includes X.6. If you plug in that number, you get 4.75.6. That's not allowed. That doesn't even mean anything.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   You lost me. How are X and Y not whole numbers? How can x = 19/4? A fraction is already a decimal written a different way. It's 4.75. The first equation includes X.6. If you plug in that number, you get 4.75.6. That's not allowed. That doesn't even mean anything.
"I have already made up my mind. Please don't confuse me with the facts"
"I don't know a lick of math, but I will 'contribute' anyway"

rated:
ramyana said:   I am struggling with this puzzle along with my kid, who's in algebra class. The conditions are:
1. (X.6)(y.4) = 288
2. X^2-y^2 = -5
3. X.7-3.x = 19
4. (Y-x)/(x-y)= -1
x and y has to be the same numbers throughout the 4 given conditions. 

It's not clear if we are dealing with 4 unknowns (X, Y, x, and y) or 2 (x and y).

rated:
ramyana said:   I came up with x = 19/4 from solving for the 3rd equation. Yes, I checked again and equation 3 is correct. When solving for y using equation #2, I get 22/4. These two fit perfectly well for all equations, but doesn't fit the first equations. If I solve for y using using the first equation, then the answer doesn't fit the rest of the equations.
You wouldn't get 22/4. You would get root of 441/16, not root of 484/16.

19.19/4.4 + 5 = y^2
(19.19+5.16)/4.4 = y^2
(361+80)/16 = y^2
441/16 = y^2

I suggest that regardless of number of variables, there is a typo in at least equation 2.

rated:
I have included the actual picture of the problem.

rated:
Sorry I believe I got 21/4. I will go home and check my work again. But my answers are wrong because it doesn't fit. 

rated:
The teacher changed the total to 288 in the first equation.

rated:

Page 2 (709.68kB)
Disclaimer
Here's a copy of my work.

rated:
None of the lines intersect at the same point so there is no such x and y that satisfies the first three equations.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OICxGkDemQjEKE0J3

rated:
That's what I thought too, but just wanted to verify with smart people like you guys. Thank you

rated:
ramyana said:   Here's a copy of my work.
  I thought this was your kid's homework...

rated:
You don't use decimal points for multiplication when typing on the internet!

rated:
It's supposed to be a project and could get the parents help. My son and I both are working on it, but now it's done thanks to cucumber. We also included the graphs(our own graphs) to prove our result. 

rated:
ramyana said:   The teacher changed the total to 288 in the first equation.
Sorry, I was away all day.
Did you try it with 216?

rated:
I tried it with 216, it doesn't work either. I believe these equations have no solution. 

rated:
That's strange. The problem says the triangle and the rectangle are the same number in bold. If they have to be the same number, it is impossible to satisfy equation 2 and 4.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017