Is there such a thing as a portable air conditioner

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
(the kind on wheels you can move around) that doesn't need to be vented out the window or through a wall? Oh, and it should actually WORK.

DH insists there is such a thing, and that it's much smaller (and cheaper) than the one I just bought that vents out the window.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Well, it's kinda against physics (thermodynamics). Heat is energy that doesn't just go away, it has to be dumped somewhere. That's what a window AC does, picks up heat inside the room and dumps it on the other side.
Shaper Image makes little "personal" ACs that I think are based on Peltier tech but I don't know how well they work.

I bought this one. It's not too hot today, but of course I had to try it. I put it on "dry" which I guess is like a dehumidifier and it seems to cool the room a lot. DH came home and said there are plenty smaller ones that don't vent to windows for under $300.

I'm going to win this argument I think.

Yes there is, but it only works a few hours per day. During the day when you're at work, it makes ice. When you get home, it just sends all the hot air to the ice instead of venting it out the window.

During the ice-making phase, it actually heats up the room similar to the hot coils on the back of a refrigerator.

I've only seen this once and that was over 15 years ago.

Yeah, it's got to dump the heat somewhere and if not out the window (or into a heat sink, like ice), then it's jsut going to dump it back into the room and be "chasing it's tail".

There's always the Frosty Fan Pack.

Or he might be thinking of a water-cooled unit. You connect it to the faucet and run the cold water. The cold water runs through the unit and back to the sink and down the drain.

It wastes a lot of water and is illegal in many places, but it cools like you wouldn't believe.

Is that the same as an evaporative cooler, or "swamp cooler"?
link

HorB said: Is that the same as an evaporative cooler, or "swamp cooler"?
link

Nope, and swamp coolers are only good in places of low humidity like the Southwest. They cool well but also add moisture to the air.

HorB said: Is that the same as an evaporative cooler, or "swamp cooler"?
link

No. Evaporative coolers only work in dry climates. In New Yawk and New Joisey, it gets too humid in the summer for those things to work.

Water-cooled units work the same as regular air-conditioners, but instead of venting the hot air to the outdoors, it runs cold water around the aluminum fins. Once the water absorbs some of the heat, it gets flushed down the drain. You basically have to run your faucet the entire time the air conditioner is running.

This is going into the sunroom. We didn't put it on the heating/AC system when we built it. In the winter, I have a ventless gas log fireplace to heat it up. The summer we thought the windows open (big windows) and the ceiling fan going. But it sometimes is too windy to keep the windows open or things blow around the room. Or it's 100 degrees and stifling. I never realized how much I'd use this room when we built it.

I've passed on some of the comments to him and he's going to look and see if he can defend his thoughts. I don't care if he finds something smaller, but it better work.

Would you happen to know how high your water table is?

formattc said: Well, it's kinda against physics (thermodynamics). Heat is energy that doesn't just go away, it has to be dumped somewhere.

I actually had one many years ago It had a container inside to catch the water and had to be emptied periodically or it would overflow. It was actually very handy to have. I bought it to use in a car that didn't have air conditioning, but it worked well in any *small* area and could easily be moved.

Also: There were no wheels, that I remember. It had a handle on top to carry it and it wasn't really all that heavy.

HorB said: They do exist. that has a window vent also. If you look at the pic, it's the rectangle on the hose coming out of the back of it.

We looked online at vertical window units, but not that closely yet. I turned the Whirlpool on for him, just on fan and "dry", which is a dehumidifying setting. The air coming out was cold and felt good. I think he's coming around to my thinking.

HorB said: They do exist.
Ummmm.... that one has to be vented outside.

Is there a reason why it has to be portable? Can it just be hide-able?

shopliftinginva said: HorB said: They do exist. that has a window vent also. If you look at the pic, it's the rectangle on the hose coming out of the back of it.

We looked online at vertical window units, but not that closely yet. I turned the Whirlpool on for him, just on fan and "dry", which is a dehumidifying setting. The air coming out was cold and felt good. I think he's coming around to my thinking.

I am chagrined.

SleazyBastard said: Is there a reason why it has to be portable? Can it just be hide-able? No, it doesn't HAVE to be portable, but all the windows in this room are sliders.

Two are 5'X4'
one is 3' x 4'
one is 8' x 4'

I'm looking through sites now with vertical ACs but they seem to be more expensive and lots of complaints about installation.

SleazyBastard said: Is there a reason why it has to be portable? Can it just be hide-able?

This one is $10 cheaper, but doesn't have the "dry" mode which would be great for the cooler nights with high humidity.

How about a "Split" or "Ductless" air conditioner?

It comes in two parts. One outdoor unit and one indoor unit. The two parts connect with a 2-inch flexible hose. The hose can either go through your window (with the proper fittings) or you can drill a 3-inch hole through your wall.

The outdoor unit holds the compressor. It does all the cooling work and sends the cold air through the hose. Since the compressor is outside, you won't have as much noise.

The indoor unit just holds the fans that blows the cold air around.

SleazyBastard said: How about a "Split" or "Ductless" air conditioner?

It comes in two parts. One outdoor unit and one indoor unit. The two parts connect with a 2-inch flexible hose. The hose can either go through your window (with the proper fittings) or you can drill a 3-inch hole through your wall.

The outdoor unit holds the compressor. It does all the cooling work and sends the cold air through the hose. Since the compressor is outside, you won't have as much noise.

that looks like it might make us both happy. Just trying to fiddle around to see what the approximate cost is.

shopliftinginva said: SleazyBastard said: How about a "Split" or "Ductless" air conditioner?

that looks like it might make us both happy. Just trying to fiddle around to see what the approximate cost is.

Just remember that a splitless requires professional installation so make sure to consider that extra cost in the equation.

I hope you bet something good on this one!

sgtdave4321 said: I hope you bet something good on this one! we didn't "bet", but of course who ever is right (ME) gets bragging rights.

And in the long run I win anyway cuz I get what I want.

It's not like this is something new. I suffered through last summer out here. And where I have it hooked up, it can be turned to blow through the sliders into the living/dining rooms if we have company in the summmer. Sometimes if you have a lot of people in the house, or are cooking a lot or in and out, the AC just doesn't keep up.

My bedroom has slider windows and I have a vertical airconditioner in one window. It was definitely more expensive than the horizontal ones in the kids windows, but I figure I'll have the thing for a LONG time and I like to sleep in a nice cool room so it was worth it. I also use a fan and the room is like a freezer sometimes.

The price was only about $100 more than the other a/c units, but its also bigger and better.

is this the cold motel ones? why would it need to be professional?

we used these in Iraq, they work pretty well!

bbguy5 said: SleazyBastard said: How about a "Split" or "Ductless" air conditioner?

we used these in Iraq, they work pretty well!

they work great. that's pretty much the only type of AC the japanese use in their homes. the ones we had in our apartment even had a dehumidifier and heat.

There are several in hot deals forum, eg
Haier 7,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner $298 WalMart.com

shopliftinginva said: (the kind on wheels you can move around) that doesn't need to be vented out the window or through a wall? Oh, and it should actually WORK.

DH insists there is such a thing, and that it's much smaller (and cheaper) than the one I just bought that vents out the window.
They can cool you off if you sit close to them, just as a fan placed inside an opened refrigerator can. But unless the optional air duct hose is routed outdoors, the A/C will simply make the house hotter because A/C works by pumping heat from one place to another, usually from indoors to outdoors (BTW it doesn't pump air outside, just heat), and it's not 100% efficient. Portable A/C works a lot better when the air duct hose is led outdoors, but even then it's not nearly as good as a regular window unit.

Thanks everyone for your comments. DH has "seen the light". He's realized the ones he's seen DO vent out the window. We've looked at vertical window units which end up costing the same, but block more of the view. With the Whirlpool I bought, from outside, it's 3" on the side of the slider. You don't even notice it. We've put the unit under the bar height table that we seldom use out here anyway (and NEVER in the summer because we're at the tiki bar).

Everything has come to a head because yesterday the compressor on our heatpump went out. It's an old unit and both the indoor and outdoor parts need to be replaced. So I've spent the last two days dealing with HVAC estimators and the bank for a loan.

At least I know I'll keep super cool this summer.

:PAND.....it's on sale for $20 cheaper this week!

AND..... Best Buy had a 10% off coupon good through today.

So, I just got back $60 on it.

Anyone with suggestions on where and how to get a good deal on a mini split?

FrugalFreak said: SleazyBastard said: How about a "Split" or "Ductless" air conditioner?

is this the cold motel ones? why would it need to be professional?

Because it needs to be charged with refrigerant after it is installed.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017