Observation at Costco today

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I was at Costco today and in the process of randomly picking out what I was buying, a scenario repeated in front of my eyes with multiple couples: A guy would take something to his wife or girlfriend, show it to her, and see if she said it was okay to buy that item. Many times, the female in charge would question why they needed to buy it or simply shook her head.

Does this happen to you?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Nope............ I am the boss in my family.

My husband knows that he'll just have to return it if we don't need it or it's the wrong brand, so he asks to save himself the time. What's wrong with that? If the manager of the house says it's the wrong stuff, put it back!

Muggles said: Nope............ I am the boss in my family.

Someone successfully convinced you of such, and is probably laughing behind your back.

Every wife knows that there is no need for a 12 1-gallon jars of pickled pigs feet....please put them back!

WhoIsThat said:
Does this happen to you?

Nope, I'm single....

MadAnthony said:
Nope, I'm single....

No you're not. Your kitty owns your ass and you know it.

first 5 years of marraige were tough

after i figured out she was the boss the last 13 have been good

Yes, my husband does this because he knows he often buys things we don't really need. The part that annoys me is when he comes and asks me what he should eat when he wants a snack. Just go look in the fridge for crying out loud, don't ask me!

I don't ask.
Put stuff in the cart, ask for forgiveness later.

My husband often stops at the commissary for small pick-ups during the week (especially milk) so I am not with him.
This man cannot resist buying bulk boxes of things! We don't eat in bulk, and never have! He's so proud of the savings (and yes, it does save money) but where can we stash this stuff (usually snacks) while we chip away at it for six months! Often, it isn't even something most of us like. I have not found a way to break him of this.

Everyone knows to NEVER shop at Costco with the wife....it's the pussywhipped capital of the world.

Costco is awesome!

ruhroh said: Muggles said: Nope............ I am the boss in my family.

Someone successfully convinced you of such, and is probably laughing behind your back.

Wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am single. And loving it.

More often, it is the opposite with us. I ask hubby whether he would like something, and he says he doesn't need it. A while back Costco had some nice quality full-zip hoodies for $20. I wanted to get a bunch of them in different colors, but he insisted that one was enough. Well he ended up liking it so much that he decided he wouldn't mind having a couple more, but of course they were OOS when we went back. I really wish I had been more insistent that we get several when they were available. It's a lot easier to shop when he's not around, because I can just tell him after the fact that I got him something.

madscribe said: More often, it is the opposite with us. I ask hubby whether he would like something, and he says he doesn't need it.

same sex marriage ?

Ideally the spouse that shops the most for the family should be asked first. The other spouse wouldn't be as current on the prices of certain items and wouldn't know what was already bought. So it doesn't hurt to ask whether you are the male or female.

We shop together. I pick up all the items for my lunch and to make dinners for the week. The other half picks out his stuff and our oldest child's since he makes her lunch most often. We'll tell each other when we already have too much of the item at home. Otherwise, it's pretty simple.

It did take a while for him to adjust to my shopping style. He used to buy everything at walgreens! I use coupons and check prices. He would just throw the first thing in the cart. But he is always amazed by the money saved on coupons.

I do try to go with him when he shops for clothes. He often does it alone though. I swear he is colorblind

WhoIsThat said: I was at Costco today and in the process of randomly picking out what I was buying, a scenario repeated in front of my eyes with multiple couples: A guy would take something to his wife or girlfriend, show it to her, and see if she said it was okay to buy that item. Many times, the female in charge would question why they needed to buy it or simply shook her head.

Does this happen to you?

yes, dh and i both do this. sometimes we are serious, other times not so much. sometimes i even put stupid things in the shopping cart just to see if he will notice. *shrugs*

pecanpie said: sometimes i even put stupid things in the shopping cart just to see if he will notice. *shrugs*Hey! My kids do this to me!

I never take the husband to Costco, we'd be broke.

Costco shopping is weird. People buy a month's worth of food. But find out once they open that 25lb bag of chips that they have to eat it as fast as possible while its still fresh, which is ten days, not a month, so they get fat.

YoungAmerican said: I never take the husband to Costco, we'd be broke.

i go to push the cart and pay for the stuff afterwards...

handyguy said: Costco shopping is weird. People buy a month's worth of food. But find out once they open that 25lb bag of chips that they have to eat it as fast as possible while its still fresh, which is ten days, not a month, so they get fat.

For some of us that's 2 weeks worth of food.
We've got enough for a starting string and one sub.

Costco shopping IS weird. It's the only store I've been to where the products aren't clearly marked on each aisle.

qcumber98 said: Costco shopping IS weird. It's the only store I've been to where the products aren't clearly marked on each aisle. and whose fault is that?

madscribe said: More often, it is the opposite with us. I ask hubby whether he would like something, and he says he doesn't need it. A while back Costco had some nice quality full-zip hoodies for $20. I wanted to get a bunch of them in different colors, but he insisted that one was enough. Well he ended up liking it so much that he decided he wouldn't mind having a couple more, but of course they were OOS when we went back. I really wish I had been more insistent that we get several when they were available. It's a lot easier to shop when he's not around, because I can just tell him after the fact that I got him something.

Don't you see the game your husband is playing?
He found out it was OOS and then he ends up liking it and says he wouldn't mind getting more of them.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017