• filter:

Buying or selling in eBay

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I was planning to buy a used iPhone from eBay recently and I believe the reasonable price for a used iPhone 6s is about $300, and 6s Plus is about $350.

I noticed there are many bidders with 0 feedback (or you can tell from the buyer info that the accounts were newly created)  would bid the price to an incredible price range (I see a few winning bids were over $700 for heavy used items).  I wonder if these people are for real or just teasing the sellers?  Who in their right mind would spend $700+ in eBay to buy a badly used from an unknown individual instead of picking up a new one from Apple Store?  Anybody has buying/selling iPhone experience in eBay?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
There are some nefarious and some non-nefarious reasons why an item might sell for too much. On the non-nefarious side, you might have:

* There's something about the item you haven't noticed that increases its desirability...A color that's in short supply and no longer available, included accessories that wouldn't be included in a new one, or some kind of difficult-to-get or difficult-to-do upgrade.

* Two or more people who didn't do their due diligence were for one reason or another attracted to the same auction.

On the nefarious side:

* There's something unadvertised about the item that increases its desirability, i.e. it's a front for some kind of money-laundering or smuggling transaction.

* They may indeed be shill accounts of friends, family, or associates of the seller trying to get one person who didn't do their due diligence to get swept up in a bidding frenzy.

* There are circumstances when eBay does not allow cancellation of an auction. They may be shill accounts of the seller to prevent sale of an item that sold elsewhere, that was discovered to be missing or not-as-advertised, or that was going to sell for too little on a no-reserve auction.

Those are all of course against policy and I believe they're all illegal as well, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't happen.

rated:
You'll see less of that if you exclude sales ex-USA. Also, used (unlocked)  iPhones trade higher in some foreign countries, but you'll have to risk them being a scammer.

rated:
They're playing off your greed to scam you. They likely will be using a stolen CC, or compromised PayPal acct. You'll eagerly ship the item because you fall for the overpayment

rated:
Historically, eBay has shifted from a fair platform to one that favor purchasers and makes seller terms unfavorable. eBay terms pressure the seller to pay shipping using less desirable methods. Any attempt to complain by either side will protect the buyer and assume the seller is guilty - seller protections are fiction in my experience.
I did earn several stars years ago as both buyer and seller. Under current terms, I find it too expensive and terms unfavorable to a seller. I no longer would sell on eBay
No where near as often, but I do make a few purchases on small value items. My purchases are so few and far between, that eBay Bucks quarterly rewards are fictional because I do not meet minimal purchase levels to get any.

see also https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1554898

rated:
JW10 said:    eBay terms pressure the seller to pay shipping using less desirable methods. 
  I never got the outrage a few had over including shipping fees.  Sure, it's part of overhead.  Buyers are too dumb to compare prices though with a separate charge.  As a buyer, it's also always irrelevant to me what portion is a shipping charge, it's the total price that matters only.  Including shipping just makes things simpler all around.  I usually included shipping fees even when shipping fees used to be excluded from eBay fees.

The fees are (now) charged on shipping fees too.  Therefore it makes no sense to list an item with a separate charge rather than shipping being included, unless it's a really bulky item and shipping charge varies greatly depending on destination.  On the plus side, it's eliminated (mostly) the scammers who would sell things for $0.01 plus $100 shipping and handling.

rated:
Also keep in mind that the bidders themselves could be using stolen cards since the seller is not a dealer and thus once the phone is out of their hands, they can do nothing about it like black list it. Such bidders do not care about the final price.

rated:
Just keep in mind that you could loose that money to a crappy phone. Not much satisfaction there.

rated:
Last time I sold a phone on eBay, it took 4 attempts to complete the transaction. The first 3 resulted in someone purchasing the phone and me getting an email from eBay within several hours saying that the purchase was made from a compromised account and all fees would be refunded.

rated:
BADADVICE said:   Last time I sold a phone on eBay, it took 4 attempts to complete the transaction. The first 3 resulted in someone purchasing the phone and me getting an email from eBay within several hours saying that the purchase was made from a compromised account and all fees would be refunded.

As I saw so many winning bidder were new accounts, I think it is not coincidence...that is why I wonder if it is just some people trying to screwed some sellers making a sell, or simply they are fraudulent.  Either way, I feel this kind of activities ruined the fun of bidding...It looks like listing as 'Buy it now' or 'make an offer' may be a better way to buy or sell...

rated:
if you want to buy or sell a phone, try swappa.com, they only charge a fee from 10$-25$ depend on how much you going to sell the phone at. eBay charge you 10% fee on your phone.

rated:
Bend3r said:   
JW10 said:    eBay terms pressure the seller to pay shipping using less desirable methods. 
  I never got the outrage a few had over including shipping fees.  Sure, it's part of overhead.  Buyers are too dumb to compare prices though with a separate charge.  As a buyer, it's also always irrelevant to me what portion is a shipping charge, it's the total price that matters only.  Including shipping just makes things simpler all around.  I usually included shipping fees even when shipping fees used to be excluded from eBay fees.

The fees are (now) charged on shipping fees too.  Therefore it makes no sense to list an item with a separate charge rather than shipping being included, unless it's a really bulky item and shipping charge varies greatly depending on destination.  On the plus side, it's eliminated (mostly) the scammers who would sell things for $0.01 plus $100 shipping and handling.

Actually, it is to the buyer's disadvantage to have a seperate shipping charge.  Unscrupulous sellers have a large shipping charge and send a non-working product.  They then happily refund the $1 price and keep the $100 shipping fee!

rated:
I sold several AirPods before Christmas. Two of the buyers didn't have any activity in their feedback for over 3 years, one had 2 stars the other 1. They each paid over $375 for the item so I thought about not shipping it but I had already made a lot of money selling the other 6 AirPods so I though it would risk it. They both paid via PayPal and never had a single complaint. It's been over 3 months so I'm in the clear.

rated:
WELL SAID.....don't buy anything this expensive on eBay....WalMart has refurbished iPhones and it you need to...you can return it....no problem.
eBay is okay for cheap stuff...that's all.

rated:

rated:
Swappa is annoying. I listed brand new phones and people post comments offering $80 less than my asking price, and my asking price is a good deal.

rated:
As an eBay user since it started in 1996 (before it even had feedback and everything was paid via money orders, and all communication was directly between buyer/seller using real emails), stay away from zero feedback sellers at all costs! Buyers with zero feedback may/may not be ok but sound like shill bidders, often created by the listing's seller.  Sellers with zero feedback selling expensive items are ONLY scamming you. They create a new account, scam, and then move on.

Watch out for blacklisted, stolen, not-paid-in-full cell phones on eBay and other internet sites. I recently saw a eBay posting where the buyer paid over $200 for a Samsung Tab E 8" tablet where the seller said it was paid-in-full, but his posted receipt showed it was at the beginning of a 2-yr payment plan. Blacklisting such devices (prevents one from getting service) started only a couple of years ago.

Checking the IMEI and ESN is tricky since defaults on payment plans may not show up for a month or two. The best insurance is ensure what you are buying is mfg. or carrier unlocked (ensure you get the unlock code if by carrier) and get a copy of the purchase receipt...with serial number.

The other problem is that you don't know if the phone has been dropped or been submerged in water. To test if it ever got wet, in older phones there was a small piece of white paper that will be red. (paper more common on batteries).

​So, the illegal shill bids to prop prices may be one thing, but I'd be more concerned with buying any cell phone second-hand since there's a risk that it may not be what you think it is.  eBay started as a site for collectibles and hard drives/computer parts...then branched into everything under the sun.

rated:
JW10 said:   Historically, eBay has shifted from a fair platform to one that favor purchasers and makes seller terms unfavorable. eBay terms pressure the seller to pay shipping using less desirable methods. Any attempt to complain by either side will protect the buyer and assume the seller is guilty - seller protections are fiction in my experience.
I did earn several stars years ago as both buyer and seller. Under current terms, I find it too expensive and terms unfavorable to a seller. I no longer would sell on eBay
No where near as often, but I do make a few purchases on small value items. My purchases are so few and far between, that eBay Bucks quarterly rewards are fictional because I do not meet minimal purchase levels to get any.

see also https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1554898

Where do you sell now?

rated:
an example of suspicious bidding:

eBay Item: 152475694302

rated:
so user 2**2 should've gotten it for $357 if the shills didn't come in.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017