• filter:

Questionable buyer won auction

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Good Day All!

I'm a very casual eBay buyer/seller.  I've only sold 3 things this year.  My last auction ended in an eBay case with the dispute center because the buyer (brand new account registered in Russia) never paid.  This made me a little gun shy.  This time I listed a camera (~$300).  The buyer that won it has a fairly new account (5 months old) with one rating and auto-bid the camera up to what i would consider a mediocre deal.  The auction ended Saturday and the person has not paid.  In the mean time i've done research about all the ways someone can scam me out of this camera (claiming i shipped an empty box, broken, etc) and now I'm super paranoid.  This is a lot of money for me and the only reason I was selling it.  I probably should have canceled the sale when I saw the first bid from this buyer but I didn't know it was an option until now.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? Assuming the buyer pays, will taking pictures/recording packing up the box help any if there is a case opened against me?  Is mailing it at the post office vs. print/ship any help to me?  I know eBay almost always sides with the buyer.  Should I try to cancel the sale and take a possible ratings hit?

Thanks!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I sell even less than you do on eBay, but I often see requirements like a minimum positive rating to bid. The seller reserves the right to cancel sales or bids or both from those who don't comply. I believe it's also possible to limit sales to certain locations only. Not Russia bashing, but better safe than sorry.

Also, I would surely thoroughly document, with images, whatever you sell and send regardless of the price and who buys it.

Finally, I'd cancel the sale and not worry about the ratings hit. If that happens, you have a chance to explain in the ratings rebuttal.

rated:
Thanks. I just went through the interface and see now how to limit (or not accept at all) international shipping. I also changed my buyer requirements. This is the most strict I can make it:

Block buyers who:
Don't have a PayPal account
Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 1 Month(s)
Have a primary shipping address in a location I don't ship to
Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 1 Month(s)
Have a feedback score of -2 or lower

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017