• filter:

Did I miss eBay now charging sales tax??

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Since this forum is pretty dead, I figured I'd post here first before contacting eBay 

I just bought two items, $18.69 and $5.59, and noticed "sales Tax" of $1.48 was added to the total.  I know one vendor is showing California and the other is just showing US but since I'm in New Mexico I've never had anyone charge me tax.  Running the numbers individually nor combined is it the correct sales tax for NM.  Heck I ordered a couple things Sunday afternoon and no tax was added. 

Just venting but anyone see this from Out of State sellers??  I'm presuming the one listed as just US is not in NM but could be wrong but the rate is off.

Rick

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
It happened to me too last week. A CA-based seller charged me VA sales tax, and they charged the wrong amount.

rated:
I think I figured this out. I just received UPS shipping notification that I'm scheduled to receive a delivery tomorrow from Amazon. The tracking number matches what the eBay seller sent me. So it appears this really is part of the Amazon is now charging sales tax on items instead of eBay. Oh well, that will teach me to click the button to pay without stopping to read the details first. Still was a decent price even after sales tax but still........

rated:
Rick505 said:   I think I figured this out. I just received UPS shipping notification that I'm scheduled to receive a delivery tomorrow from Amazon.  The tracking number matches what the eBay seller sent me. So it appears this really is part of the Amazon is now charging sales tax on items instead of eBay.  Oh well, that will teach me to click the button to pay without stopping to read the details first. Still was a decent price even after sales tax but still........
Yet the seller wasn't Amazon. That's weird. They appear to be drop-shipping, which isn't unusual, but they presumably don't have a place of business / tax ID themselves to be charging you tax. I would probably ask for their state tax ID or for a refund.

rated:
eBay has a setting to charge Sales Tax, it's up to the seller to turn it on.
Since he's doing a dropship from Amazon (Who charges sales tax), he's trying to recoup it.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Payments/When-did-ebay-sta...

rated:
You bought stuff from eBay from a seller who ordered it on Amazon with a few clicks for a lower price, receive a higher price from you and had it shipped to you. Next time check the price of items on both eBay and Amazon.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017