• filter:

Lego Botches Another High-End Release (75192 UCS Millennium Falcon™)

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
LEGO released its new 75192 UCS Millennium Falcon to VIP members this morning, and it was the predictable garbage fire that one has come to expect with LEGO releases.  After more than an hour of trying to get my order to go through while their server repeatedly crashed, I eventually got through and received confirmation of my order.

Fast forward two hours: I receive an email from LEGO saying the order was cancelled due to "identity verification" issues.  The problems with that excuse: 1) the purchase was authorized on my credit card (it's still on there); and 2) the credit card is connected to my VIP account and has been used for literally dozens of online LEGO purchases in the past.  Then, to make things worse, I get an Order Confirmation email 20 minutes AFTER the cancellation email (The order is still showing cancelled online).  Now I'm just hoping I don't have to go through the trouble of getting $799 taken back off my credit card for an item that isn't going to be delivered.

There's a reason why LEGO is having to lay people off and has generally been in free-fall mode for the last 6-9 months.  And it isn't just the "Batman excuse" they keep giving.  Instead, the company is taking two clearly contradictory business positions.  On the one hand, they're putting more and more stock in high end releases.  The number of sets that retail for more than $150 (and $250+)  have exploded in the last couple years.  So, they're making a clear run at high-end adult collectors.  But, on the other hand, they are (more than ever before) releasing re-hashes of their most collectable and expensive sets; effectively killing their collectability.  And their customer service has gotten awful.  Simply put, you can't try to sell something for Saks Fifth Avenue prices with Wal-Mart Customer Service.  You can't sell someone a toy for $800,  completely botch the release, and then lie about why you're cancelling orders to further alienate the most hard-core collectors (after already alienating us by re-releasing the most valuable set in the first place).  

I may start liquidating our LEGO collection.  The company's recent combination of overproduction, lack of creativity, and alienating its biggest customers is leading me to believe their may be a "Beanie Babies" fallout in the not so distant future.

Member Summary
Staff Summary

rated:
I'll buy your collection at liquidation prices...

rated:
I'm still on the fence about this set. I dropped by the LEGO store earlier to look at one (they sold out in 10 minutes this morning) and it's impressive - but $800? I can't see this being a scarce set either, no way Di$ney would pass up that much cash. I might wait until it's on sale somewhere, or at least at Target where it would be 12% cheaper if sold at MSRP.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017