What tool do I need to remove this?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Not sure if you can see this well enough, I need to take the bottom of my espresso machine, I think the thermal fuse blew

This "bolt", on the bottom is the one I can't figure out

It looks like a hollow tube, but its flattened on one side. What's the name of the tool I need. ( I do believe it does help hold the pump to the base)

(Yes it is out of warranty, and no the credit card it was purchased with does not double the warranty (gift))

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

helps if i attach the picture

Its the round thing in the center. (Best i could do between flash and shadows

I suppose its possible its not load bearing but it looks like it. I have the torx screws and the Phillips, its just this one "flattened pipe"

Like no screw/bolt I have seen, but it's not the best photo. If you are reasonably sure it needs to be removed, you would just need something of that general shape to fit inside and turn. One of the jaws of a needle nose pliers comes to mind.

Have you tried removing everything else and removing the bottom?

Not yet. Need daylight and time. Am not sure it needs to come out

Won't be for a while before I can try it as I leave for a 2 week international trip this weekend

I've never seen a bolt like that!

What I would do is take to an appliance repair shop and see what they tell you?
They may take it apart for you for free?

Years ago I had a folding hair dryer that I really liked. It had a thermal fuse blown inside. I took it into an appliance repair shop looking for a replacement fuse. The guy took it and went into the back. He came back and gave me a new hair dryer just like the one I had. He said 'Here you go, no charge'.

Made my day!

Where is the nut in this diagram?


Sometimes Sears.com has free diagrams and parts lists when nobody else does. Parts lists are very important.

That's awesome. Its the underside of the highlighted area

torx security bit
Ellory, here is a very useful and helpful tip for you:


Also, in addition to this tip above, I am thinking you do not need to remove the 'bolt' you mentioned (it may not be a 'bolt'). It would be unusual to have the head of a bolt shaped like that. Look around for other screw heads. The tip I referenced says you need a #15 torx security bit to remove the screws that attaches the base with the top of the unit.
Careful when disassembling.

Yes. I have the security bit. I can get those screws out with no problem. Head to China this weekend, so it will be a project when I return

What I thought was a bolt, was not. The base came off easily with the security bit.

Swapped the thermal fuse, but no joy. Still does not heat the water. Time for a new machine. (It was about 3 months out of warranty. and not on an AMEX card with extended warranty. Family bought it as a present and my son used his credit card so I wouldn't see the charge ahead of time)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017