• filter:

Technology Posters- What do you want included in your sticky threads?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hi folks,

The two existing sticky threads up here are pretty outdated.  I've unstuck them, and linked them below.  What I would like to do is use this thread as a new sticky to replace the existing ones.  Please post in this thread the information you think should be included here.  I'll update the OP and add it to the wiki for this thread.  Thanks!

Wired/Wireless Networking, Printer & File Sharing:Solutions,Guides & Troubleshooting

HELP GUIDES: Spyware, Adware, Gen Maint, Recovery, Networking Solutions, Enclosure Guide, Portable apps

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
So are you proposing to build out a single thread that is going to provide the information that was available in the previous 2 threads?

Do you just want us to list information that would be helpful to have and you are going to put in a general framework that other people will fill in? or are we just requesting what would be helpful and you are filling everything in?

rated:
backsplatter said:   So are you proposing to build out a single thread that is going to provide the information that was available in the previous 2 threads?

Do you just want us to list information that would be helpful to have and you are going to put in a general framework that other people will fill in? or are we just requesting what would be helpful and you are filling everything in?

Ideally, folks could use this thread to accumulate information, or update the knowledge that was very outdated in the two threads I unstuck.  If there are existing threads that I might be unaware that should be kept around, we could add those also.

While I do have some tech knowledge, I don't have near enough to fill in requests that are posted.

However, if there isn't enough interest in building it out for now, I can just leave it up as a reference to the older threads, and perhaps it could be updated in the future.

rated:
Is it possible for FW to do any data mining on current and archived topics in this forum? A list of the most common words/phrases/links used in the forum might be helpful.

rated:

rated:
i'd say one of the most important things is the first sticky that remains (as long as people actually point to it as a starting point). as for the others, i would mainly ask that they just not be purged, so links to them are still valid.

i haven't dug through all the old threads, but there are often nuggets of wisdom that are pertinent long after they are thought obsolete.

rated:
Thanks for sharing.

rated:
What I would appreciate in such a format is the ability to know more about Windoz 10. I keep reading it is missing several subsystems (ie Silverlight)  to run existing features and software. IF there is any backward compatibility, FW users may post their experiences with it. Hopefully keep it sticky will avoid multiple threads of the same information.
Similar separate sticky threads for Windows 7, 8 and whatever is going on in the Apple world.
A printer sticky thread for common printing problems
Android cell phone sticky
Apple cell phone sticky
Wired/Wireless Networking, Printer & File Sharing:Solutions,Guides & Troubleshooting
Please emphasize in the OP startup thread each thread is for the most common things each thread covers. Individual model concerns still belong in OP threads.

rated:
Why not have two basic questions based threads for Computers & mobile devices as the technology is changing fast.

I took the initiative to start these two threads:

UNOFFICIAL Computer related questions thread

UNOFFICIAL Mobile device related questions thread

rated:
marcopolomle said:   Why not have two basic questions based threads for Computers & mobile devices as the technology is changing fast.

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/technology/1504950/m19525331/#m19525331

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/technology/1504954/

I'm going to run with this for now. Thank you @marcopolomie for starting those.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   Why not have two basic questions based threads for Computers & mobile devices as the technology is changing fast.

What value do these consolidated threads add?

rated:
jayK said:   

What value do these consolidated threads add?

That's a really good question. I think there are a few reasons to do this.
--Longer threads (which these can become) are better for SEO
--The title is a clear call to action for those who have questions but aren't sure where to put them or what is allowed
--For people who land here and aren't used to the community, it's a shorter hurdle emotionally to post a reply in a thread than to start a new one.
--We can turn good reply questions into new threads if we want to.

Overall, I see this as a possible way to help integrate people into the sub-community. Ideally, they would just create a thread. But until the confidence levels are high enough, I want to offer an easier option. Were there reasons to think this is a bad idea? Or were you just wondering?

rated:
If this was a busy forum focused on something other than answering technology-related questions, I might agree that consolidated threads like these would be useful. But the reality is that this forum gets 1-2 new threads per day on average, just about all of which involve answering technology-related questions.

I'm not sure we need a solution that further reduces the number of threads on the Technology forum. At some point you have to consider if it's even worth it to have a separate Technology forum, when we could just have a few technology Q&A sticky threads in Deal Discussion.

rated:
jayK said:   If this was a busy forum focused on something other than answering technology-related questions, I might agree that consolidated threads like these would be useful. But the reality is that this forum gets 1-2 new threads per day on average, just about all of which involve answering technology-related questions.

I'm not sure we need a solution that further reduces the number of threads on the Technology forum. At some point you have to consider if it's even worth it to have a separate Technology forum, when we could just have a few technology Q&A sticky threads in Deal Discussion.

Fair enough. I'm also thinking about it in light of posts stickied at the top of the Mobile, Laptops, & Computers special interest group. Relevant Technology Forum discussions will be mirrored there. Since that group also includes deals and relevant posts from Deal Discussion, it will be a lot more active.

Asking for feedback here: What do others think of the two stickies? For quick feedback, give this post green for preferring them, and red for prefer not having them.

rated:
VBMcGB said:   I'm also thinking about it in light of posts stickied at the top of the Mobile, Laptops, & Computers special interest group.
I'm curious, how many hits does this special interest group get, compared to traffic in the Technology and DD forums?

rated:
jayK said:   
VBMcGB said:   I'm also thinking about it in light of posts stickied at the top of the Mobile, Laptops, & Computers special interest group.
I'm curious, how many hits does this special interest group get, compared to traffic in the Technology and DD forums?

I'm not sure it's best to discuss business numbers in public. I think I get where you are going with this, though. Right now, the SIG's are primarily used as a way to consolidate the information, and we are guiding people in the community to them who are most likely interested in what they offer.

If there are others out there who think we would be better off without the stickies, I would love to hear your thoughts. And, for those who prefer them, why do you think they are helpful?

rated:
I'm with jayK. With the number of threads we have, an individual one is better
Plus, if two or more people start posting new problems in one thread, it starts to become very confusing

rated:
Quick update. We tried the two "official" threads. They didn't get any traction, so I've removed the stickies and the "official" status.

Thank you for being patient with me.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017