• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
I recently bought TP-LInk smart switch to auto control timings on lamps etc.
However while configuring I realized its app downloads to smart phone and asks your Wi-Fi passwords in iPhone/App.
Are there any Security concerns?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You mean the smart plug thing? Of course it needs your wifi passphrase, just like your iPad or laptop computer, that's how it works. I'm unclear what your specific concern on this device is.

Actually real important.

There was a SmartWatch called the U8 which turns out was sending all your phone info to china.

I don't see how that's remotely related to OP's question. Everything that connect to your network or your device can be a security threat and every app or software one install can be malicious.

Assuming the following: the app is installed on a non-rooted device and WPA2 is used. It's no different than connecting your phone to your wifi. The app is just setting up the smartplug so I can connect to wifi, I assume. Of course it needs it, that's the entire point of getting the device in the first place.

Can you post a model number?

In general, IOT devices are notoriously insecure. It's not uncommon for them to run web servers or open ports on your router so they can communicate with their management servers. If your router has a guest network, I highly recommend connecting to that instead of your main network, as those generally have better client isolation. An even better idea is having a separate router for those devices.

I bought 2 of these smart switches. Here is what I did. I have a higher end Asus router that lets me setup guest networks. I created a guest network just for these devices with a seperate SSID and key so that they are separate from the network my PC's are on. Is it 100% safe? No, anyone with time on their hands could hack into any network, but I figure this is better than nothing!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016