• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
We reently purchased a Bosch Dishwaser since our old dishwasher gave up the ghost and we trusted Consumer Reports...Then we got a surprise that the drying method is a European style of condensation drying technology or something
I know this is going to sound silly, but I did not really understand the user manual and I have not found the answer on the forums (there) and the customer service email has not been replied to yet.

I have a simple question in regards to the bosch dishwasher condensation drying system:

Do I open the door immediately to the dishwasher right after the cycle is done (when it beeps)?

That's all I really wanted to know.  We have used the Jet Dry stuff,

I would greatly appreciate any advice from owners of Bosch dishwashers.  Thank you for your patience in reading this thread.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Could you at least put down the model? Bosch makes a few.

I assume once it beeps it's done
But here how to turn on the drying element onto HIGH.

To enter options mode:
1 With the door open, press the On/Off button to turn the unit on.
2 One of the wash cycle LEDs will be flashing.
3 Press and hold down the > button, then press and release the Start button. Now release the > button.
4 The “Clean” LED and one other LED will be flashing. You are now in options mode.
5 Press the > button to select the option you would like to adjust.
To set amount of Rinse Aid:
Note: If your glasses have spots on them, you need more rinse aid. If your glasses have streaks on them, you
need less rinse aid.
1 Follow the prior instructions to enter options mode.
2 With the “Clean” and “Refill Rinse Aid” LEDs flashing, press the < button to change the amount of
rinse aid dispensed.
0 LEDs flashing = rinse aid is OFF
1 LED flashing = lowest amount of rinse aid dispensed
2 LEDs flashing = medium amount of rinse aid dispensed
3 LEDs flashing = highest amount of rinse aid dispensed
3 Press Start to save your setting.
To turn Extra Dry Heat ON or OFF:
1 Follow the prior instructions to enter options mode.
2 With the “Clean” and “Sanitized” LEDs flashing, press the < button to turn Extra Dry Heat ON or OFF.
0 LEDs flashing = Extra Dry Heat is OFF
1 LED flashing = Extra Dry Heat is ON
3 Press Start to save your setting.

I don't have a BOSCH, but here's a website that explains the drying system they use. I have a Frigidaire Gallery that has two drying settings, I can use the standard heating element hot air, or I can use the air dry condensation. The condensation method takes longer, but it saves energy. It isn't as effective on plastics, though works well with glass, ceramic, acrylic, pots & pans.

At the end of the cycle in my Gallery, the water that has condensed from the dishes, is extracted from the drain, then the panel display will switch to 'clean', until I open the door. You should familiarize yourself with the display panel, and what the various lights/beeps are for. I've found these newfangled dishwashers are a lot different than what I was used to, there a myriad of controls to select from the panel menu. It's a bit of a learning curve figuring out some of the settings. It took some practice before I could figure out the timer for delayed washing (so DW can be run at night when power rates are lower).

Eventually, as you use it, you become proficient at selecting the settings on the panel display menu. My new washer and dryer were a learning curve at first, the sensor lock system on the washer, and the auto-dry function on the dryer, were both new to me. Now I know how to override the sensor lock, when needed. And I use the auto-dry almost exclusively, as it saves money by turning off the heating element when it senses the clothes are dry prior to the timer going off. Appliances seem to have more bells & whistles, but they save more energy too.

I own an earlier Bosch with the SS tub and no exposed heating element (water is heated inline as it circulates).  The idea is you get an extra hot final rinse, and when the cycle is done the humidity in the tub condenses on the relatively cooler steel tub and drains down.  This process continues until the dishes dry, the humidity drops and everything eventually cools down.  It works well enough, but there will be water pooled in the bottoms of cups or other items with concave bottoms, which is common with most brands.

In practice we have done both options you describe, and eventually the dishes dry fine.  I can't tell you which option dries faster though.  I'm not sure what the "Extra Dry Heat" option in the manual does as there's no exposed drying element.  Maybe it ups the final rinse temp.

I have a Bosch, its 2-4 years old so probably not the same model, but it does NOT have a 'dry' cycle while its running. It essentially has a very hot rinse cycle and it uses that heat from the last rinse to allow the dishes to dry. It does take longer than other machines with a true drying cycle, but for me the quietness and sturdiness of the racks is worth it. You want to leave the door closed as long as possible after it is finished to allow that heat to continue drying the dishes. Ours are dry by the time we get to empty it, other than pooled water in concave cups and any plastic cups that have flipped over...I can't imagine any drying cycle is going to dry that out though.

I have a Bosch as well. Whatever they say is the mechanism for drying.... doesn't work well at all. Especially on plastics like Tupperware. So I have 2 sections of countertop that have drying mats on them, and I have to pile them up there and wait for things to air dry. It stinks. My kitchen looks like a yardsale. It does wash decently and it is extremely quiet. But when it dies I don't think I will get another Bosch because of this.

my tupperware never gets dry in any dishwasher. anything plastic. i have to bang it together with other plastic items to get all the water to fly off the plastic dishes. still isn't 100% dry. when i slide a stack of plastic cups together and put them away, sometimes the cups will still be slightly moist when i go to use them.

I have much the same experience as everyone else with my 4 or so year-old Bosch. It does a very poor job drying plastic - it's not just pooling water on top of plastic glasses, but there are drops all over them.

It is quiet, but I'd do research about some other brand before considering buying Bosch again. A big problems is that all that quietness comes from thick insulation, which diminishes the interior dimensions significantly, which means that there is less room inside for dishes. I've read some Bosch reviews written by Bosch fangurrls who claimed they can fit as many dishes inside as any other dishwasher. This is bunk - the only way that one could fit a normal number of dishes in a Bosch dishwasher is if they are all small, very flat plates. Bowls do not stack well because the tines in the racks are so close together.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016