Need a new TV. TCL or Samsung?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
In the market for a new TV.  I generally shy away from Samsung due to the price, but if the quality is better, I'd consider it.  I've had bad experiences with Vizio, so I was also considering TCL.  Any suggestions?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What's TCL? what bad items have you had with Vizio?

TCL - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BGC39VM/ref=twister_B01CAU2D7U?_enco...

Purchased a Vizio 55'', and at the year mark, blue line down the middle. Vizio said tuff luck.

Greatness said:   TCL - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BGC39VM/ref=twister_B01CAU2D7U?_enco... 

Purchased a Vizio 55'', and at the year mark, blue line down the middle. Vizio said tuff luck.

did you feel like it had a timer or something.

I bought a cheap TCL and it works great. TCL makes the panels for the lower end Samsungs.
http://in.reuters.com/article/samsung-tcl-idINSEO25310120080429
forbin4040 said:   What's TCL?
They are the 3rd largest TV manufacturer in the world. They make TV's and components often for other brands.

How is the smart TV interface for TCL? Samsung's "Smart" interface is so bad I just use a Roku instead.

jayK said:   How is the smart TV interface for TCL? Samsung 's "Smart" interface is so bad I just use a Roku instead.
  I agree, I hate Samsung's smart interface. I just use the TV for the picture, otherwise it is Google Chromcast or Amaon Fire.

It uses Roku as the Smart interface.

samsungs quality is a little better than some brands. well worth the extra few bucks.

Leo Laporte (Tech guy on the radio) said don't bother getting a 'smart TV', it's going to be dumb after a couple of years. Get a Roku, and upgrade that instead of your TV.

jayK said:   How is the smart TV interface for TCL? Samsung 's "Smart" interface is so bad I just use a Roku instead.

Takes 5 seconds for the smart menu to pop up. I wish that was quicker. I suppose it takes about that long to switch devices and tv mode.

riznick said:   
Takes 5 seconds for the smart menu to pop up. I wish that was quicker. I suppose it takes about that long to switch devices and tv mode.

How long does it take you to find the remote?

I have had a Samsung smart TV for a couple of years. Samsung keeps modifying their smart TV internet linking choices. On balance, they are missing some that was there when I bought it.
Skype was recently dropped.
Privacy terms were recently modified. There will be another round of Samsung smart TV modifications planned soon.
The internet connection browser is slower than molasses going uphill in arctic winter.
I do not know anything about the other brand you ask about.

forbin4040 said:   What's TCL?
RCA  -> GE -> Thomson -> TCL.

A lot of TVs are made from the same parts -- power supply, LCD panel, and even the case, and I wouldn't be surprised if the logic board was often the same but with just different firmware to customize the logo and control setup.  However power supplies are made in different quality grades.  Some TV companies are or were just assemblers of those parts, including Olevia and maybe Vizio.

http://www.tclusa.com/aboutus/  
TCL is one of only 3 brands worldwide that are fully vertically integrated – which means that TCL makes every part of the TV themselves and controls the entire production process.

From their older about us page, which is an interesting read:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150407032558/http://www.tclusa.com/aboutus
tcl about us said: Well, China Star is 50% larger than the stadium the Dallas Cowboys play in, builds over 20 million TV panels a year, and is run almost entirely by really expensive robots (they make for boring conversation at the water cooler). Before going any further, I should explain that the TV’s panel is responsible for 50-60% of the cost of the TV, so it is by far the most important component. If you are going to be a successful TV brand in the long term, you need to ensure a large supply of high quality panels, so you can offer consistently high quality products at a great value to consumers.
TCL decided that to ensure its long term future they needed to build their own factory, so they entered into a joint venture with Samsung to build China Star. TCL owns 85% and Samsung owns 15% of China Star and combined our robots will crank out close to 25 million panels next year.

I think I will choose TCL. My television is Samsung but the speed of play is slow for us. I don't know why. I don't think Samsung TV will a good choice. TCL is focus on television and I think it will more professsional.

I have not tried Samsung Smart TV yet .
But I heard that Samsung Smart TV can only download softwares available in Samsung Apps platform

Compare the price , I would like to pay more for the Samsung. Samsung always expensive than TCL. But the price will difference in picture quality, motion handling etc. Comes down to whether you want to spend an extra money on a TV or not. That said, not everyone can appreciate or even see all that much difference in quality from one TV to another. Go have a look and see what you think.

I have a Samsung (model number: UN55F6350AFXZA) that is generally OK; however, there is a very odd thing that happens to it that Samsung confirms is the way it's supposed to work. In a bright room, the screen dims and in a dark room the screen brightens. I have called Samsung at least six times on this and every time, Samsung insists that everything is working perfectly.

I struggle to see the image in a bright room and am blinded in a dark room. And, yet, Samsung insists this is precisely the way ALL of their LCD TV's work. If so, I will never buy another Samsung HDTV again and would never recommend one unless it's in a windowless room with full control of ambient lighting. Anything else, and letting the HDTV decide how to control the screen would be troubling.

In addition, the controls, what they do and how to set them are confusing. There are controls for screen brightness, backlight, eco sensor, energy savings and minimum backlight. They all seem to compete with each other and there is no optimum setting that I can find despite seeking many "calibration" settings from various forums. Details on the screen are in poor English and the voluminous user manual does no better in describing these settings.

If anyone has a similar experience or knows what we may be doing wrong, please let us know. We have turned off all of the energy saving settings and the screen still dims and brightens itself (including using the movie setting which is supposed to defeat all screen dimming).

I sure with the TV would automatically brighten in a bright room and dim in a dark room as we have our set in a room with windows (as we imagine most people do).  Otherwise, stay clear of Samsung HDTV's, especially since they are much more expensive than a TCL or similar generic-named brand.

Vadeltachi, do you have the latest firmware?

Yes, and I check it frequently to ensure it's updated. There's not a lot of detail in what their firmware updates contain, so never sure what gets upgraded other than the smart hub and privacy policy changes.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017