Problems in Update

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
First off this is a Dell desktop computer with Windows 7 and not mine.   The user claims they were in a windows update and the PC hung, this was right around the Microsoft 10 push but I am uncertain if it was 10 nor where they.  they just said it was taking along time.

The PC sorry at work and no model number yet, just keeps rebooting never getting to the windows start.  I tried F8 and cannot get to safe mode, I can get to a menu what looks like I can boot to the drive but no safe mode.  Is there a way to tell if this is converted to 10? do I try to boot to windows 7? should I use a windows 7 or windows 10 recovery disk? or is there another way to get to safe mode for windows 10?  I have not played at all with windows 10 yet

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Take it into a microsoft store. I believe they are supposed to help or give $150 off another PC

forbin4040 said:   Take it into a microsoft store. I believe they are supposed to help or give $150 off another PC
  not to the Dell store?

MS has an offer right now about Windows 10, at MS stores, not at Dell/HP or any other computer maker. They claim they can install it for you in one day or they give you a free Dell laptop. If the PC is too old to take 10 they offer $150 off a new machine.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3096035/windows/if-microsoft-cant...

ridn4free said:   
  I tried F8 and cannot get to safe mode, I can get to a menu what looks like I can boot to the drive but no safe mode.  Is there a way to tell if this is converted to 10?

What options do you see with F8?  Can you get to a command prompt?

I can get to a prompt but not safe mode.  I am going to try the win7 disk.  I sat on the phone for an hour with no answer, real customer support

If you can get to a command prompt try WINVER and see if it will report the version of Windows you are in.

my FIL passed away, this will sit on the backburner for a couple of weeks

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017