Migrating Laptop From HDD To SSD

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have a laptop (HP Pavilion D6) that has a 240GB 2.5" 5400RPM drive.  Running Windows 7, whatever version came pre-installed.

With SSDs being so cheap these days, I'd like to upgrade.

Question is do I need to worry about any Windows settings if I just take a disk image of the existing mechanical drive and drop it on the new SSD?  Would there be Windows settings that needed to be changed in order for it to work properly with the SSD regarding maximizing the drive life, etc.?

I'm thinking of Windows XP where if you wanted to use a SSD you had to do some crazy stuff (TRIM comes to mind).  I know that Windows 7 was designed to natively support SSDs but since this particular version of Windows has resided on a 'normal' drive, is there any trick to copying a bit-for-bit image to an SSD?

Going to use Acronis from a bootable CD.  I'm well versed with creating disk images but I've only ever worked with SSDs starting from a fresh Windows install.  I've never copied a Windows 7 image from a mechanical drive to an SSD.

Thanks in advance.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

should be no problem at all if you are copying the image asfaik.

Dupe the drive with whatever tool you like - Acronis will certainly work. It will boot and everything will work exactly as before. Once that's done though you'll want to tweak a few settings. SSD support is built in, as you said, but because your original install was not on SSD some of the settings will need to be manually configured.

There are many guides out there for changing settings when moving to SSD. Here's one: http://www.overclock.net/t/1133897/windows-7-ssd-tweaking-guide

Thanks, minidrag...

If you really want easy, upgrade to win 10.
Drop the SSD in (Afterwards)
Use a ISO of Windows 10 and poof, it's installed and activated (Because you kept the memory and CPU identical)

forbin4040 said:   If you really want easy, upgrade to win 10.
Drop the SSD in (Afterwards)
Use a ISO of Windows 10 and poof, it's installed and activated (Because you kept the memory and CPU identical)

Good point.
If you don't want to go to 10 right now, I'd do something similar just to get your upgrade rights, in case you want to go to 10 later.  This is only if you do not want 10 right now!
Download 10 via MCT, saving to USB drive.  Remove HDD, install SSD.  Boot the USB drive, install 10 on SSD and activate.  This registers it for your PC, forever.  Format SSD, remove SSD, put HDD back in.  Keep using 7 as before.  Dupe HDD to SSD as planned, keeping 7.  Now, if you ever decide to upgrade to 10, you've got the free entitlement from MS and just need to run the 10 Upgrade - it will install and activate for free.

--edit - forgot to say, for the clean install of 10 on the SSD to activate you will need your Windows 7 activation key.  Hopefully you've got a sticker on your PC with it, making that part simple.

I used EaseUS Todo Backup Home 9.2 to clone the drive and then it wouldn't boot, so inserted the windows 10 install media and told it to repair
and it worked well. I think when you clone, sometimes the MBR and "active" don't get set correctly.

Just remember to turn off disk defragmenting - not needed for SSDs

Also, enjoy the speed boost, easily one of the best upgrades you can get for a PC

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017