• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
I recently replaced my 36" (?) CRT TV with a vizio e40-d0. I previously had my old tv connected to the comcast digital adapter thing (small one)

I'm hoping someone can answer my simple questions:

A. with the new TV, do I still need to have it connected to the comcast thing? (I tried connecting the coaxial cable thing directly to the tv, but only(?) got 27 digital channels and 0 analog, but when I tried to change channels, I didn't see anything)
B. Right now, I have the new tv to the box and and while I can all the channels, I'm also curious if there's a way to get rid of the roughly 2-3" from each edge of the tv (like margins?) on the image or is that normal?

Thank you for your patience in reading this post and for answering my questions.

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOVIES AND HOME THEATER, TECHNOLOGY. — Oct. 25, 2016 @ 1:34pm
Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

To get full HD service and eliminate the black bars at the top and bottom, you'd have to get an HD box from Comcast.  They also have HD-DTAs if you have additional HDTVs but don't need all the services/channels that the big HD box gets.

Probably goes without saying, but there's likely a setting on your TV to stretch the picture in order to get rid of the black bars on the top / bottom or sides.  This will make the crappy standard definition picture even crappier so it's definitely not an elegant solution.

What you really want is an HD DTA as sportsfan64 mentioned.  If you already have one of these and are still seeing the bars that means you're watching a standard definition channel.  You should switch to the high definition version of that channel if it's available.

0 Analog isn't a big deal because Analog is pretty much dead now.
But 27 Digital seems low.

I don't know if Comcast is using SDV or not (Switched Digital Video), but if they are then your TV will absolutely need help.  Time Warner in my area uses SDV so I have to use a box for normal TV.
If they are NOT using SDV and just using normal QAM64 or whatever, you should be able to get the other Channels marked as free in the QAM signal as long as you can find the channel number.
If the channels are part of a paid package, you most likely need one of their boxes of some kind to get them.

If you post the model info from the "little box" (usually on the bottom), we can likely tell you if its SD only.
If so, that explains the black bars on the left and right as your TV is now wider than your old one and the black bars are used to keep the 4:3 SD signal not look stretched on a 16:9 HDTV.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016