Inexpensive way to input to TV from s-video/composite/component thru VGA port on TV?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
My old TV appears to be failing, but I can't find a new one in my size (32") and price range that has all the input ports I use now. They do have VGA ports, however. The input devices are all analog, so I don't expect HiDef, but don't want to degrade any further than what I have now. Can use either s-video, composite, or component outputs. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You are aware that VGA doesn't contain Audio? You will have a silent tv.

What model of TV do you have?

I'm looking at a Sceptre E325BV-FMD. It also has an audio-in jack, so I assume I can use a cable with left/right rca plugs that adapts to 3.5 mm mini-jack for the audio.

Is the issue that you can't find a TV with component / S-Video / composite inputs?  Or is it that you can't find a TV with enough of those inputs?

TVs are out there with those inputs.  I just bought a Samsung model that has both component and composite (Amazon link to the TV I bought - it doesn't say anything about having composite and component inputs but I assure you it does).

If you need additional inputs, you might try a switch.

dakota26 said:   I'm looking at a Sceptre E325BV-FMD. It also has an audio-in jack, so I assume I can use a cable with left/right rca plugs that adapts to 3.5 mm mini-jack for the audio.
  Get this then

https://www.amazon.com/Tmvel-RCACVS-Composite-Converter-Blue-Ray...

$9 Composite to HDMI converter - Your TV has 3 of these native

That way you don't have to buy a RCA to 3MM converter as well as a Video to VGA converter.

I won't have enough inputs. This is what I have connected to my present TV: 1 HDMI 5-disc DVD player, 1HDMI-BluRay player, 1HDMI-Laptop video out, Coax-VCR, s-video-DVR w/dvd player, component-Tivo 2, each input having it's own audio. With the Sceptre, it appears I will be short one input, since the composite/component shares one audio connection. That's why I would like to make use of the VGA. I'm pretty sure I already have an RCA to minijack cable somewhere. ChinaRider, would a switch be remotely controlled, wireless? This whole setup is so I can choose from a myriad of options without having to get off the couch.

It looks like that Monoprice switch should do the job, Thanks for the suggestion!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017