• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
After 8 years of being with Verizon, upon renewal of the contract, they are saying that the basic plan I have will increase by 30.00 (before taxes and such).  I have no DVR, just a cable card and the required triple play bundle.  I use Tivo for my set top box.  I can go to Optimum, and they will be around the same price as I am paying now.  Or, I can go to PS Vue and just add Roku sticks to my two TVs.  

I am quite surprised that now, with no contract, Verizon is like take the 30.00 a month (plus taxes and fees) or leave.  I am very tempted to just downgrade to just Internet and add PS Vue or jump to Optimum.  I still have a 30.00 credit on my account through December, so I think I am good until then.  Right now, I am on month-to-month.  I do not know if the price reverts to something higher when on month-to-month.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What do you mean by "required triple play" I have FiOS, and just TV and internet, no phone. That should cut your bill some. How did you learn about the price increase? Did you call them, or is this info on their site?

Verizon does tend to offer a discount if you sign up for another 2 year FiOS contract. Of course, there's ETFs if you opt to leave before the 2 years are up then.

FiOS offers symmetrical bandwidth, meaning the same upload speed as download speed, while Optimum, like most cable providers offer a significantly slower upload speed than download speed. I don't know if that is of concern for you, but it's something to consider.

When looking at Vue, be sure to consider all the channels you watch, and compare the cost of Vue with the savings you'll get for removing TV service from FiOS.

It's actually more if you select the double play then the triple play. I called them to renew my contract.

Greatness said:   It's actually more if you select the double play then the triple play.
Maybe initially, but looking online on my account, at this point they'd charge at least another $10/month to add phone service.

Did you look at the "Add/Upgrade my Services" feature on the website? You can dig through and look at different combinations of service and features.

BTW, I have a  "$25 Agreement Incentive Offer for 24 Months" discount on my service right now.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016